Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I have never seen this much bad umpiring ever!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I have watched baseball since 1981.I cant remember ever seeing this many bad calls.I have watched several differant teams play this year and i'm seeing pitched called strikes and strikes called balls and plays at 1st base/2nd base,3rd base and home that were just plain wrong.

Am i the only person seeing this happen more then in the past?

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
MLB umpires are just too arrogant as a whole. Curt schilling was discussing this yesterday on the radio yesterday.
Once an umpire is promoted to the majors he is there for life. MLB does not demote umpires. In the collective bargaining agreement MLB needs a performance clause where bad performing umpires are demoted.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
i think its a combination of things from what bdal23 said as well sas the technology we have. If your watching the game from home its very easy to see if hes out or safe strike or ball because they always replay it. these umpires have one chance to get the call right if they blow its sucks because we as fan at home know what the call really should have been, but i do agree it definatly seems like the last 3 years the umps suck more so than past

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I am actually appauled at the amount of unprofessionalism shown by some umpires today - most of it stems from MiLB umpires coming up to fill in.

I am a Royals fan and witnessed last year an umpire crouch in front of Jason Kendall during a game and yell at him. This year Matt Treanor had an issue with an umps strike zone. He handled it like a pro should - disagree with the ump, but facing forward while voicing his opinion so no one else in the stadium knew the conversation was even going on. The ump decided to make it into a big scene and got into Treanor's face in a very unprofessional manner.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I too have watched baseball for the past 30 years and in my humble opinion ump'ing has been consistantly bad (read: inconsistant) the whole durration. And I'm inlcined to believe it always has been. Human error is part of the game, and truthfully I'd have it no other way.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
It doesnt help that they show the replay 80 times at every possible angle there is. I dont think the umpiring is any worse today than it has been in the past.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
elmalo said:
It doesnt help that they show the replay 80 times at every possible angle there is. I dont think the umpiring is any worse today than it has been in the past.
Agreed. It is possible that it has gotten worse, but I imagine it is just that we are in better position to notice their mistakes. That said, now that we have the technology, why not use it...

Members online

Latest posts