Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buyer wants to pay money order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Never had this happen but a buyer won a $20 card from me and asked me for my full address so that he could send a money order.

Any feedback on what the risks are would be appreciated. Sounds sketchy but I have no idea.

Thanks.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
I've done it before but I think ebay stopped allowing you to accept money order technically. Although how can they really regulate it. Depends on buyers feedback I say.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Back in ancient times of Ebay, money orders were the #1 method of payment. I occasionally run into a buyer who wants to pay with a money order. I have no problems with it. Sure, it takes longer to get paid, but you don't have to pay Paypal fees.

As far as risks, he/she could always send a fake money order, or some oddball brand that is more difficult to cash easily. Ask him to send a USPS money order and that takes care of that.

One good thing is that it would be much more difficult for him to file and win a claim with either Paypal or Ebay since he didn't pay through Paypal. It would be much harder, I would think, for him to prove that he even paid if he did open a claim.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Thanks for the speedy responses. The constant eBay horror stories get me nervous haha.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
padremurph said:
Thanks for the speedy responses. The constant eBay horror stories get me nervous haha.

If you can ask for a Postal money order from the USPS. That way you can cash it at the PO for free and send out the card at the same time. Plus, Postal money orders are much harder to counterfeit. I wouldn't worry about it for a $20 sale, but I've heard of people trying fake MOs on high-end sales.

You should be fine and like Bossman said, no fees. You just mark it as "Payment received" on the transaction.

Voices

Feb 5, 2011
I have always paid with money order.Just wish seller's would except them more as i'm always sending them ?s if they except them.Gilmo hit the nail on the head.There are some things paypal doesn't have to know about.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
gt2590 said:
padremurph said:

If you can ask for a Postal money order from the USPS. That way you can cash it at the PO for free and send out the card at the same time. Plus, Postal money orders are much harder to counterfeit. I wouldn't worry about it for a $20 sale, but I've heard of people trying fake MOs on high-end sales.

You should be fine and like Bossman said, no fees. You just mark it as "Payment received" on the transaction.

I honestly miss the days of people sending money orders. I actually tried to put that I accept money orders in my eBay description, but they wouldn't let me list them.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Money Orders good
Paypal bad

If you wait till they clear you have no problems and much less hassles than Paypal.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Voices said:
I have always paid with money order.Just wish seller's would except them more as i'm always sending them ?s if they except them.Gilmo hit the nail on the head.There are some things paypal doesn't have to know about.

The reason you have to send a message to ask is I believe ebay does not allow you to list in your auction that you accept money orders. I did that once and my auction was canceled about a year ago and that was the reason why. I have been able to put language indicating that I accept other things though, but the buyer needs to ask to verify for themselves and shouldn't just assume.

However, I find money orders to be much more reliable and come with a higher level of "seller protection" than Paypal certainly offers.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Please let him send a MO. :)

I am one who always asks if I can pay via Money Order, because my Paypal account is frozen. I figure most sellers don't mind because there are no fees, but it's a pain messaging every seller I plan on buying something from. Which is why I don't buy from eBay much anymore :/

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I put in my eBay descriptions something akin to: "most forms of payment accepted; Paypal preferred". This leaves the carrot out there for a buyer to ask and eBay has never had a problem with this verbiage (yet). You just cannot spell out check or money order. Perhaps 1% of my sales are paid with a money order. Not very common anymore.

Wes

OG
Administrator
f2tornado said:
I put in my eBay descriptions something akin to: "most forms of payment accepted; Paypal preferred". This leaves the carrot out there for a buyer to ask and eBay has never had a problem with this verbiage (yet). You just cannot spell out check or money order. Perhaps 1% of my sales are paid with a money order. Not very common anymore.

Agreed, I get about one every 100 or so auctions. Always happy to accept.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
As long as you wait to ship (and the buyer understands this) I don't think it should be a problem.
It'll actually save you a little money.

Really, in a situation like this, I think it's the Buyer that is actually taking the risk. Kind of a reversal from how thins usually work.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
god i prefer mailed payments and even take checks (they clear my bank in 2-3 days). i even offer reduced shipping for mailed payments. i just got got paid 5 cash and a 20 mo recently and enjoy avoiding paypal. wish everyone mailed their payments

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
n1astrosfn said:
god i prefer mailed payments and even take checks (they clear my bank in 2-3 days). i even offer reduced shipping for mailed payments. i just got got paid 5 cash and a 20 mo recently and enjoy avoiding paypal. wish everyone mailed their payments
Please post your eBay ID. :mrgreen:

Members online

Latest posts