Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really wish manufacturers would offer recycling programs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
What a concept.

Offer your consumers the ability to send in boxes of their unwanted cardboard, buying it back at a fraction of the cost, and then reducing your printing and material costs for later products.

Even for someone like myself, a very modest breaker, I would gladly recycle my unwanted base cards if card companies would make a commitment to use a certain percentage of recycling in their product.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I was just talking about this at the National this weekend. I have no idea why this hasn't been offered before. So much paper just goes to waste. I'd gladly clear out all of my base cards to have them recycled.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Why not cut out the middle man and actually take them to recycling instead of waiting for a card company to tell you to do it? It would eliminate the cost of shipping at least. I don't get why a card company would need to tell you to recycle your own worthless paper. You can make that call.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The quality of the paper goes down the more it's processed, so you can't turn a pile of Exquisites into more Exquisites. Even base cards of today, with pure white cardstock being standard, I am not sure you'd be able to get that quality on the second run. And I don't think you could turn a case of 1988 Donruss into it, either.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Vagrant said:
Why not cut out the middle man and actually take them to recycling instead of waiting for a card company to tell you to do it? It would eliminate the cost of shipping at least. I don't get why a card company would need to tell you to recycle your own worthless paper. You can make that call.

Wouldn't the recycling company be the middle-man here?

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
bradical said:
Vagrant said:

Wouldn't the recycling company be the middle-man here?

Not really. Considering recycling plants supply more than just the baseball card industry, if they even do, then getting your useless paper to the biggest distributor would be the wise course of action. That way, not only do you "help" the card collecting industry, you help other industries also.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
What they should do is offer up some limited cards. It should be open for all products in all sports. You get a card for each respective sport, so if you open football, then you get a football card, baseball = a baseball card.

You get the same card for each product (ex: if you open Topps Series 1, you would get the same card as you would for opening Bowman Platinum)

Just for the sake of simplicity, let's just say we are opening baseball, and they are only offering Albert Pujols. It can be tweaked, but it's just for simplicity.

For every 10 packs you turn in, you get a specially stamped base card (similar to the Topps base set). That way, you can include everybody who breaks cards.

For every 20 packs, you get the exact same card, but it's chromed

For every 100 packs, you get a special Chrome card (not fashioned like the base set)

For every 500 packs, you get a blue refractor

For every 1,000 packs, you get an x-fractor

For every 3,000 packs, you get a gold refractor

For every 5,500 packs, you get an orange refractor

For every 10,000 packs, you get a red.

Then there can be a race for the superfractor... the cumulative most packs sent in wins the superfractor.

This can be tweaked for boxes, jumbo packs, rack packs, cello packs, blasters, $10 boxes, Cereal boxes, etc etc etc.

Just a thought

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Of course the best course of action may be for card manufacturers to just produce fewer cards, or more cards consumers want ;)

hiroler

Oct 26, 2010
Topps has not made corporate level sustainability a priority, or at least they're not public about it. If you look at their executives, most have been there less than a year. If anyone wants to start a campaign to get them to fund a study, perhaps ISO 14001 audit, I would be glad to help.

The way I see it, they avoid the thought of recycling a card, because they want you to think every card has value. Admitting that it's better to recycle them would make them face the realities of the 90's and answer questions.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I think Topps should buy up some and do a Donruss Re-collection type thing with them... have the players sign them and re-insert them. They could save money on products like Lineage...

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Yea make less cards......When there are 12 variations of the same card in 6 sets maybe its time to change something. Companys are killing the fun of Player Collecting

Latest posts