Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect starters converted to relievers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
If you are a prospector of converted guys like Banuelos and Vizcaino, how would you feel about them being relievers instead of starters. Of course, being a starter gets more glitz and glamor (what most prospectors wish for) BUT they get to the big leagues sooner rather than next year if they were starters...

Viz is up and Banuelos should be up as a reliever sometime this month...

So, you happy or not?

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
Messier2 said:
If you are a prospector of converted guys like Banuelos and Vizcaino, how would you feel about them being relievers instead of starters. Of course, being a starter gets more glitz and glamor (what most prospectors wish for) BUT they get to the big leagues sooner rather than next year if they were starters...

So, you happy or not?
Wait, you're saying Banuelos is going to be a reliever for his whole career?

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
tm decomposer said:
Messier2 said:

So, you happy or not?
Wait, you're saying Banuelos is going to be a reliever for his whole career?

No...he's going to be called up soon as such. The plan is short term...but not sure how one would feel about it as prospectors...by the time he starts, he will have other cards out to compete with his BC stuff...

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I'm happy because Viz won't be used as a reliever permanently. This will give him a good taste of the bigs, which is an opportunity a lot of guys don't get. It worked for David Price.

Edited to add as a Yankees fan, I'm glad Banuelos will be up. I hadn't heard, but he has great stuff so I'm sure he'll be a positive addition to the team moving into the playoffs.

Being converted to a reliever kills the card values. Just ask Jordan Walden. Name a reliever not named Mariano Rivera that is heavily collected. Papelbon perhaps but other than that, there aren't many relief pitchers that are heavily collected.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
aminors said:
I'm happy because Viz won't be used as a reliever permanently. This will give him a good taste of the bigs, which is an opportunity a lot of guys don't get. It worked for David Price.

Edited to add as a Yankees fan, I'm glad Banuelos will be up. I hadn't heard, but he has great stuff so I'm sure he'll be a positive addition to the team moving into the playoffs.

As long as there career as a starter isn't "Joba-dized" and if they aren't over "Hughes-d" I am fine with it.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
vwnut13 said:
aminors said:

As long as there career as a starter isn't "Joba-dized" and if they aren't over "Hughes-d" I am fine with it.

These are my fears, but I am (maybe stupidly) optimistic about Yanks management taking the "Learn from past experiences" approach to Banuelos and treating him differently than Hughes and Joba. NO MANNY RULES, PLEASE.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
BUT they get to the big leagues sooner rather than next year if they were starters...

Prospecting is all about sex appeal. Chicks love the long ball which is dollar signs to collectors same is said with High Velocity throwing No hit possibility pitchers. Nothing kills a pitching prospect more than the bullpen. Even closers for the most part minus a few hear an there dont get any love.

They say that Pitchers are never Prospects that you should buy an expect big ROI. Yes you can hit diamonds in the rough or score a big hit like buying zack wheeler auto's last year at $1 each an some no name guys wearing yankee uniforms for pennies on the dollars. But for the most part prospects dont yield much in return

I am also a victim of this I have prospected 3 pitchers
Zack Wheeler- Bought 10-15 of his auto's between 1-3 dollars each for elite an sterling an also bought some chrome an aflac's. I have sold off enough to have broken even now i am waiting an seeing on if i should sell the rest or not. He does benefit by playing in NY an will prob be brought up next year bc that is what NY will do lol.

Andy Oliver- Bought in super low 1-2 dollars for his elite auto's sold them for 15-20 when he was brought up last year. made a great profit off of him. But bc i am a Detroit fan i bought back into him after he was sent down an his prices fell back down to reworld prices. I currently hold 5-10 of his elite auto's all bought for 2-4 dollars each. But wish i wouldnt of bought back in.

Andrew Cashner- Thought i was getting in on something great. The cubs havent had a great pitching prospect in years. i loaded up on his auto's his 1st chrome cards. I bought a few lots an am currently sitting on 15 autos an 60 bowman chrome base cards that i was looking to sell early in april after his first start. But he didnt quiet make it through the first start an has been on the injury list ever since.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I have a bit of Banuelos and I just want him to make it up before BC comes out with the auto. If he gets the call, pitches the 7th and strikes out the side (or "dominates"), there will be demand for his cards. Yankee fans will know that he won't be a reliever long term.

Pretty much, I'm just hoping he gets the call asap and doesn't get hammered in his first game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts