Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Not sure if this had been posted--Harper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Don't see anything wrong with a little enthusiasm - umpire was asking for it and Harper gave it to him - good for the young man.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Haters gonna hate.

If I was called out on strikes with an apparently deliberately delayed call that was not accurate, I'd be pissed off too. You can bet your ass anybody who gives a damn about the game would be yelling at that umpire. Good for him.

Shut up. Major Leaguers do it too.

Thank you Lars.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I honestly thought this incident would pass without someone posting it. Wishful thinking, it seems.

If this was anyone else, would this thread even exist?

Everyone is intent on painting the bullseye on his back bigger and bigger. Enough, already.

A_Pharis

He knew it was a strike. He tried to sell it, and he did it poorly. A ball four isn't going to have you turn and storm towards first with a tight grip on the bat. He knew he was wrung up, and was ready to throw that helmet before he turned towards first.

This has "Do you know who I am?" written all over it. Ego. Ego. Ego.

As for it being "delayed", the ball barely made it past the plate before he turned to take first.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
His defenders are going to defend him with every incident. And he's accumulated many of them already in his short career. At some point, we're going to have to admit he's just a ********* and an arrogant egomaniac.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
fengzhang said:
His defenders are going to defend him with every incident. And he's accumulated many of them already in his short career. At some point, we're going to have to admit he's just a ********* and an arrogant egomaniac.

And on the flipside, his detractors will villify him if he coughs in the wrong direction.

Anyway, I've said my peace on this matter.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
fengzhang said:

My response(s) to this thread are less about Bryce Harper and more about people being irrational. I'm not so much standing up for him doing it, because I have always thought arguing calls so much as to get your self ejected is ridiculous, as I am pointing out key things people are missing (how his competitiveness can send him over the edge in such a situation and the details thereof). However, I will chime in on the opposite side of the spectrum when I feel people are voicing opinions that are based on preconceived notions rather than facts.

I hate the hate for this guy. He's a true competitor and those colors are showing again as they have before.

You guys act like he beat the **** out of the umpire.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
fengzhang said:

I'm a defender AND I admit he seems like a ****** and an arrogant egomaniac, but the problem is so are most successful athletes, at least to an extent, but with Harper, people go out of their way to blow things up and make him seem like a villain. Not one of these so-called incidents or "stories" about him have been of any real significance, that I can recall, but they sure get treated like they're felonies.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, I saw this yesterday and for what it is, if it were anyone else it would not be a big deal, but least we play the double edged sword game. Harper reaps the rewards of mega hype for what he does right, it's just the balance of the universe that he be exposed for his shortcomings with equal ferver. Clearly the ball was outside, but something you should not take with 2 strikes. All in all, its just another example of Harpers inablility to respect his peers and the game. He is playing horribly in AA, and I'm sure the frustration of clearly being inadaquate for perhaps the first time in his young life is adding to an alredy instable attitude. I wish him the best, he is good for baseball and the hobby, but I take this instable outbreak as just another detraction towards a ball player who is finally being challenged for the first time in his life and failing miserably.

Would suck to be sitting on a Harper stash right now....

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I've said it before, he needs to get this out of his system now.
The average fan doesn't follow minor league baseball, so if he continues this in the bigs, he will get booed every chance fans can give it to him.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
He's a hothead. Big deal. As long as the dude isn't beating up his wife and/or kids and cheating the game of baseball, I don't really care what he does. He's a baseball player and he can play the game how he wants to play the game.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

Everyone is intent on painting the bullseye on his back bigger and bigger. Enough, already.

How many guys are touted as the world greatest prospect and have cards that sell for over $1000?

Odds are in that case you are going to get a fair share of attention... good and bad.

And to think this kind of incident would fly under the radar is kinda naive.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
I honestly thought this incident would pass without someone posting it. Wishful thinking, it seems.

I think any of the top-tier prospects would be open to this kinda post.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
Jaypers said:

How many guys are touted as the world greatest prospect and have cards that sell for over $1000?

Odds are in that case you are going to get a fair share of attention... good and bad.

And to think this kind of incident would fly under the radar is kinda naive.

Thoes who are invested in Harper will clearly only see things one way. And since this all boils down to opinion as it unfolds, thats all anyone is left with. Thoes with no vested interest usually see things a bit clearer.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
matfanofold said:
Yeah, I saw this yesterday and for what it is, if it were anyone else it would not be a big deal, but least we play the double edged sword game. Harper reaps the rewards of mega hype for what he does right, it's just the balance of the universe that he be exposed for his shortcomings with equal ferver. Clearly the ball was outside, but something you should not take with 2 strikes. All in all, its just another example of Harpers inablility to respect his peers and the game. He is playing horribly in AA, and I'm sure the frustration of clearly being inadaquate for perhaps the first time in his young life is adding to an alredy instable attitude. I wish him the best, he is good for baseball and the hobby, but I take this instable outbreak as just another detraction towards a ball player who is finally being challenged for the first time in his life and failing miserably.

Would suck to be sitting on a Harper stash right now....

Playing horribly? Failing miserably? He's still 18 and in AA, started off slow, but is OPS'ing like .880 his last 10 or 11 games.

Members online

Latest posts