Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brett Lawrie is 4th among AL Rookies in WAR; in 26 games

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Through 13 games (50 PA), Lawrie has already managed to put up a 1.0 WAR.

For the non seamheads, here's what he's done: .378/.440/.711 with 3 HR and 10 RBI. He also has a 5:8 BB:K.

Obviously this won't continue but I've been amazed at what I've seen out of him. He's already the second most disciplined hitter on the Jays, behind Bautista. I believe I've seen all 50 of his plate appearances and think I've seen him swing at two bad pitches. And he's 21.

While I hated to see Marcum go, this looks like a trade that'll work out just fine for both teams. Lawrie has super-duper-star potential being a Canadian and non-baseball fans are already aware of who he is. His teammates seem to love him (combination of maturation and being on a young team) and the CBC (Canada's version of the BBC) has done two features on him during the national news. This could be a lot of fun.

Updated below.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Re: Brett Lawrie is 10th among AL Rookies in WAR; in 13 games

If McGowan can come back strong , the Blue Jays coudl be a very strong team next year. The offense is very impressive, and they have some real promising arms. I love the future of this team

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008

I got hated on for saying on here that Lawrie is better than Trout, I truly think Lawrie will be an all star within 3-4 years.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

He looks good so far. Hopefully he can keep it up. He was on my uncles team this year, my uncle said he was a good kid and he was impressed by him. As a Jays fan I wish him the best.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

Huffamaniac said:
If McGowan can come back strong , the Blue Jays coudl be a very strong team next year. The offense is very impressive, and they have some real promising arms. I love the future of this team

Wow I totally forgot about this guy. Has he been out for like 3 years or something?

braden

Aug 7, 2008

markakis8 said:
Huffamaniac said:

Wow I totally forgot about this guy. Has he been out for like 3 years or something?

Yup, three years and a month, actually. Two shoulder surgeries and a knee operation. Killing it in AA currently. Sitting at 97. Anything out of him is a bonus at this point but the early returns have been oustanding.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada

braden said:
markakis8 said:
Huffamaniac said:

Yup, three years and a month, actually. Two shoulder surgeries and a knee operation. Killing it in AA currently. Sitting at 97. Anything out of him is a bonus at this point but the early returns have been oustanding.

The word is McGowan might be a September call-up this year, but they're not sure if they'll want him to start or go to the bullpen. Consistant work as a starter might be better for his arm than the on-again-off-again warming up/sitting down in the bullpen, or so they say. In any case, if he does come up next month, it'll definitely be the feel-good story of the year for the Blue Jays, probably better than when Aaron Hill came back from the concussion.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada

I think Lawrie will be an AS within 3 years. Hes already my favorite Blue Jay!

He doesnt have Brauns power so I dont think thats a fair comparison but he is extremely committed to winning and hustles EVERY play.

The Jays fans love him and he has stated he loves playing in Toronto and never really felt at home in the Brewers system!

I think a realistic projection for him would be 20-25 HRs, 80 - 100 RBI, a .300 average while stealing 30 bases.

G

Couldn't 1.0 WAR be the same as hitting a walk off HR when the replacement wouldn't have? Seems like an overrated stat

braden

Aug 7, 2008
So two weeks later and Lawrie's done nothing but get better.

He's now at an even 2.0 for WAR and hitting .340/.392/.713 (1.105 OPS). 7 HRs and 20 RBI in 26 games. Plus 4-for-4 in SB.

What's been even more surprising is his defense. After a shaky first couple of games, he's been a rock and has unreal instincts. His three errors have been on easy balls but he has already made at least a half dozen highlight reel plays. Plays that show incredible awareness. And what a cannon for an arm.

Again, he will regress but this has been a blast. But at just 21 he's really looking like a potential superstar.

EDIT: One other cool stat. Since his MLB debut (August 5th), the Major League leader in extra base hits is.....Brett Lawrie.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.

Huffamaniac said:

I made this comment a week ago when they have traded for Kelly Johnson, even saying that a playoff spot is not that far. But they will need to get stronger off the bullpen. Maybe McGowan as a closer?

Latest posts