Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020 year in review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Check out this thread for your goals

Hello everyone! 2020 has been a crazy year one way or the other. I realize none of us saw any of the last 9 months coming but how did we fare?
To be completely honest. NOTHING changed for me. I still work, possibly more. Stay home and don't go out just as I did before while continuing collecting as usual.

let's take a look at my goals:

1) I have 74 cards on my Sweet Spot and Sweet Sig want list. I'd realistically like to
get that into the 50's

I have had amazing luck this year in being able to find cards I haven't seen in years or at all. My needs list is now at 46 cards!
I was able to finish 2002, 2003 classic, 2005 and 2005 classic as well as finish 2008 up to a certain point of 2 remain remain on the list but no clue if they were made.

full

full

full

full

As well as some that weren't on my lists but showed themselves and thankfully I was able to add them

full

full

full

2) Continue my 2004 legendary cuts cut signature endeavor. I currently have 29. I will never get close to completion but get as many as circumstances allow.
Zero Progress on this

3)complete my 2019 Stadium club orange refractor set. currently 9 away and most are available with a few overpriced
1 card away on this Ryan O'Hearn

full

full

4) Add a few more RC refractors. Have most of what I want for the time being but still looking to pick up acuna, judge heritage and a few others.
Added a couple but Got away from this a little bit. Still need Soto and the 2020 RC's

full

full

full

5) continue my trout refractor pc. Topps and bowman chrome with stadium club are my main focus along with past years.
Kept at this, Added some Great color from past years as well as some newer ones

full

full

full

full

full

full

6) add Haniger and griffey autos and patches if anything visually appealing to me comes up at a price I like.
No progress on the Haniger front. Him not playing this year really quelled that.
I picked up a few Griffey things that I enjoy

full

full

After writing that all out that seems like a lot... we'll see how far I get

After taking the time to go through my albums and create this post, I went well above and beyond any expectations I had. I cringe when I think about what I've spent but also I feel very fortunate to be in the position I'm in and be able to do so. I hope the rest of.you have made progress and cannot wait to see how everyone has done.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
2020 has been an unforgettable year but one that I could have done without. Once I changed jobs and the pandemic took hold I really stopped spending any money in the hobby. I was still looking for Wakefield stuff but it just didn't turn up.

Tim Wakefield PC
A- Add 5 cards from his playing years. ADDED 1
B- Find the 2019 Chronicles boys of summer Holo silver /3, the only 2019 release I missed other than 1/1s. GOT IT, ALONG WITH SEVERAL OF THE LEATHER AND LUMBER CARDS THAT SURFACED THIS FALL
C- reorganize collection into a larger box and complete my personal Excel checklist. REORGANIZED INTO A BIGGER BOX, DIDNT FINISH THE EXCEL SHEET.

Craig Biggio PC
A- Add the 1999 Topps Tek pattern 30B to finish the base. DONE...FINALLY
B- add two 99 Tek gold's. DIDNT ATTEMPT
C- Add one 98 Tek diffractor GOT AN AUCTION FOR UNDER 20

Red Sox PC
A- once the 2020 red Sox HOF class is announced add the players I need. IN PROGRESS, HAD SOME, GOT ONE, STILL HAVE NEEDS
B- New project, one card for all players to play for the Sox. My initial "research" says somewhere around 1,800-2,000 players total, figuring some older players or more recent players who only appeared for a short time won't have cards I might be looking at 1600-1700. If I stick to base commons I can be fairly economical with this, shooting for 300 and to spend under $100, sports lots 0.18 a card here I come. DIDNT EVEN FINISH THE LIST BEFORE THE PANDEMIC BROKE AND ABANDONED NTHE PROJECT...FOR NOW. STILL LIKE THE IDEA, JUST DONT WANT TO SPEND THE TIME AND RESOURCES.

I always like the hobby goals threads, will be very difficult for me to try and formulate a plan for 2021, but it's always fun to see how close we can (more likely can't) stick with a focus in this hobby for a whole year.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I stopped responding to the hobby goals threads, because frankly, it was more of a wish list or fantasy that never materialized.

I am with you, aside from 10 furlough days spread across the entire 2020 year (I just looked at it like an extra 2 week vacation, non-paid and when my employer tells me to take it instead of when I wanted to, although most were attached to holiday weekends anyway - unknown if there will be more in 2021 yet), I was able to work normally, but from home. this actually saved me a lot of time and expense commuting. I don't ever want to go back to office work, but I know eventually it will probably happen.

My wife is a nurse, so she was not affected in her job.

My oldest boy was working at a theater when everything went South. He has not worked since they shutdown operations, but on the plus size, he did get a nice unemployment check. He is a Senior in HS, so he really doesn't need to work, so that is a plus.

My youngest is a junior and he is chomping at the bit to work, but has had zero luck finding even the smallest of jobs. He bought a car right before the craziness and wants to earn money for that. Nobody is hiring a 16 YO with no work experience.

As for the hobby, since my financial situation didn't charge much, neither did my collecting habits. I have been saying for a while and I think about it more and more, the time is coming to scale back and start getting rid of stuff, but I have not yet taken that first leap by selling anything I really like. My one goal in 2021 would be to spend WAY less, acquire WAY less and just start the trend towards less until i don't feel the urge to buy anything more. it literally is like kicking an addiction though. i love this stuff and have been doing it for 40+ years. i could probably kick tobacco easier (if I smoked).

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I always like the hobby goals threads, will be very difficult for me to try and formulate a plan for 2021, but it's always fun to see how close we can (more likely can't) stick with a focus in this hobby for a whole year.

Love to see some progress even if it's small.
I know things get in the way, I've taken breaks in the past. I like to think of these threads as wishful thinking posts. not necessarily goal oriented.
If I wrote down a list of 15 things and only accomplished one small one, that's a step in the direction I wanted to go.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Great idea for a thread @michaelstepper

I was not a fan of 2020 whatsoever. But it did have some good moments. There were some definite highlights with the ol' PC, which always made me happy. Here's what I wrote for 2020 goals, with follow up in caps:

For me it's the usual - continue adding to the black hole, aka my Robbie Alomar PC. Specifically...

- Pick up one more 90's insert white whale. 2019 was the year I got my 96 Mirror Gold. Hopefully 2020 will bring one more from the same stratosphere.
DIDN'T GET ANY OF THE MONSTROUS ONES, BUT DID GET THE 1997 TOPPS STARS ALL-STAR. I'M GONNA COUNT THAT :)

- Fill in some random 90's-00's numbered inserts. I keep filling gaps here and there, but there's still a surprising number of /50 to /100 inserts that just haven't appeared yet. Got to show up some time.
YES - GOT MAYBE 10-15 OF THESE. THEY SEEMED TO POP UP ABOUT ONCE A MONTH.

- Keep beating the bushes and finding previously unknown releases from his playing career. This year I stumbled on one from 1992 and another from 1989 that I had never seen nor heard of, and I was able to acquire both. That's a great example of the stuff that keeps me engaged in this silly-ass pastime :)
YES - FOUND THE 1989 STAR ALOMAR BROTHERS GLOSSY SET, AND THE GLOSSY PROMO CARD. ALSO A JAPANESE ISSUE FROM 2000, WHICH I'M GONNA WRITE ABOUT IN MY ALOMAR THREAD. IT'S THE PROGRAM FROM THE 2000 MLB TOUR OF JAPAN, WHICH ROBBIE WAS PART OF. THERE'S TWO 9-CARD SHEETS IN THE MIDDLE, ONE OF THE NPB ALL STARS AND ONE OF THE MLB ALL STARS. TOTALLY RANDOM FIND, CONSIDERING THERE'S BASICALLY NO INFO ABOUT THESE CARDS ON THE NET.

- Buy less than 10% of his new 2020 issues. For 2019 I'm just under 20%, and that's too high. As much as I complain about the neverending glut of new releases, I bought more than I should have. I admit that some were really cool, but even though I passed on 80% of them, it was still too much. In 2018 I only got about 8% of the new releases, and that felt about right. Hard goal for 2020 = less than 10% of new releases.
SUCCESS! I HAVE 54 OF THE 519 UNIQUE ISSUES FROM THIS YEAR (10.4%). NO, THAT'S NOT A MISPRINT - 519 UNIQUE CARDS. A TOTAL FARCE. BUT I DID GOOD IN KEEPING THE NEW-CARD PURCHASES DOWN.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
519? dang. I cant imagine what the numbers are for the big stars of today. I know Griffey has a ton of releases but 99.9% of them I have no interest in.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
2020 has been a brutal year on so many levels. Like many people, I feel like I focused more heavily on collecting in place of other things to do, and ended up picking up some really cool pieces.

Here's what I had for the 2020 goals:

1) Jackie Robinson signed baseball from his time in the ***** Leagues. There was a team ball from the team that went to Venezuela in 1945 that sold at Christie's a few year back. Would love to find where that one or similar.

No success on this one

2) Looking to find at least one contract from someone associated with Integration. Something like a Don Newcombe minor league contract.

Thought I had a lead on a couple of these, but struck out on both

3) I collect integration pieces in general, and love finding contracts, but there is one other specific item I would love to pick up, and that's a ticket from Jackie Robinson's 1st Minor League game. They are rare and super expensive, though not as expensive as his Debut with the Dodgers so it may be possible.

Thought I had an angle on a ticket, but didn't succeed there.

I did pick up a one item to add to the collection:
1939 Jackie Robinson and others UCLA football team signed paper (incudes Kenny washington)1939 UCLA Jackie Robinson and Kenny Robinson.jpg

4) Continuing to build the collection of lineup cards from significant games and vintage lineup cards. Was able to pick up a few major collections this year along with some incredibly cool individual pieces. If 2020 is half as successful as 2019 in this department it will be a great year.

Was a crazy year for the lineup card collection. Picked up some really historic pieces.

Highlights include:
  1. 2000 World Series (Subway Series) lineup card
  2. 1984 Olympics Gold Medal game
  3. Griffey's 400th HR lineup
  4. Visitor's dugout lineup from the final game at the old Yankee Stadium.
  5. Fernando Valenzuela's 1st career win, which kicked off his incredible 1981 season and Fernando-mania
  6. 1980 World Series (Game 5)
  7. 5 large collections totaling 600+ lineup cards.

2 of the biggest highlights in a crazy year were a pair of lineup cards from the 1937 World Series, and a pair from a game in 1933 where the managers were Walter Johnson and Connie Mack, and Hall-of-Famer Earl Averill hit for the cycle.
1937 World Series Game 2 - Yankees Giants.JPG
Johnson Walter - Indians - 8-17-1933 - Earl Averill Cycle.jpgMack, Connie - A's - 8-17-1933.jpg

5) Looking for at least one lineup card from a HOF manager that I don't already have. This past year I was able to find Eddie Mathews. Still don't have Yogi Berra, along with some others that have been much harder to find than I might have expected

The biggest one here was Bill Terry (on the Giants World Series lineup card above.) I also got Ryne Sandberg who I had never had before. And I got a Giants lineup card that was filled out by HOF Mel Ott. He didn't sign his name in the manager spot, but he was a player-manager and penned himself into the lineup, so his last-name signature is there.

As a collecting focus, I've lost some interest in this one, and ended up selling my 2 Alan Trammell signed lineup cards to a Tigers fan. I still keep an eye out for HOF lineups, but dont make it the priority I used to.

6) Would love to pick up some more barnstorming programs and other barnstorming related items. Barnstorming games were maybe the first place that fans could see African American players playing against MLB players. So many big names toured including Ruth and Gehrig in their time, Jackie Robinson, Musial and so many others. Incredible and fascinating history tied to the tours.

I had a lot of success in this area, acquiring a few significant pieces:
1) 1945 Paige All-Stars Program. This team featured Jackie Robinson in the lineup just 3 weeks before he signed with the Dodgers
2) 1947 Paige All-Stars Program - The final iteration of Paige and Feller Barnstorming. The team didn't have the stars they once did, though NBA HOF Goose Tatum was on the team
3) 1950 Jackie Robinson All-Stars Broadside - Ad for the 1950 Jackie Robinson All-Stars tour. Exceedingly rare
4) 1955 Mays All-Stars Program - Maybe the most exciting program I acquired. This was arguably the best baseball team ever put together with Mays, Clemente, Ernie Banks, Don Newcombe and many others. The program is in impeccable condition and so rare that I haven't been able to find a single image to compare it to. The HOF has an article about this barnstorming team and doesn't even have an image (they show a picture of a Jackie Robinson barnstorming tour
5) 1946 Paige All-Stars team signed sheet - I was blown away to be able to acquire this. Includes Paige most famously, but all some pretty rare ***** League signatures, including Frank Duncan, Barney Brown, Hilton Smith and others
1953 Roy Campanella All-Stars team signed ball - Beautiful ball signed by this barnstorming team which included Campanella, Newcombe, Larry Doby and others

1946 Paige All-Stars Signed Sheet.jpg
Campanella All-Stars 1953 Team Ball 1.jpg

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I started collecting again at the start of this year for the first time since 2012, and back then I was in college so its been very different this time around. I bought a ton this year but didn't drop that much money as I sold a lot as well (covid granted me a lot of extra free time to list stuff), and am really happy with how my collection is shaping up. I picked up a couple cards I'm in awe of, so while this wasn't necessarily the best year of my life, collecting-wise its been great.

Only really have one regret and that's not bidding higher on what would've been another awe inducing card (and tbh its haunted me every day for 4 months) but I'm hoping another one pops up soon.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Overall a great year. Lots of pickups. Unfortunately no shows, couldn't get to any before Covid-19. Biggest challenge was the inflated prices on 90s and vintage. Helped sales but hampered purchases.

1. Attend the 2020 National in Atlantic City - obviously, a no go. Will have to wait until 2022.

2. Add 25 vintage Yankee needs - pretty close here, haven't counted. At least 20 cards. No high-end, was saving these for the National.

3. Add 20 Paul O'Neill needs - Picked up well over 40 here, bit the bullet with Beckett Marketplace and Burbank with all my needs.

4. Add 10 Yankee Topps SPs needs - added a bunch here. Maybe 10-15.

5. Add 5 Yankee Topps SSP needs - picked up well over 10 of these between Heritage and Topps.

6. Add 2 Yankee autographs - added maybe 3-4.

7. Add 1 Mariano Rivera autograph - added 1992 Bowman with early signature. At a crossroads with the Rivera collection, may whittle it down further.

8. Sell to fund these purchases - did well here. Sold much this year -- cards and non-cards, cleaned out much of my extra stuff at home.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
2020 wasn't a fun year personally, and my interest in baseball waned a lot with games being played in empty stadiums. But I have a lot to be thankful for including a secure job - albeit work from home now - and my family's health.

Collecting-wise, 2020 was an above-average year. Seemed like a lot of stuff came out of the woodwork - maybe people selling due to difficult times. I knocked off some tough cards I had looked for for years. My 2020 highlights include:

Mark Grace PC
• 1994 Topps A/B/C/D Gold Winner Redemption Card
• 1990 Sportflics Sample
• 1993 Donruss Triple Play Preview in original 3-card Dealer Sleeve
• 2020 Topps Allen & Ginter Glossy Mini 1/1 and Wood 1/1
• Many new autograph cards from 2019 and 2020 products

Vladimir Guerrero Sr. PC
• 2001 Studio Round Trip Tickets Home Plate / Auto #/25
• 1999 Topps Finest Gold Refractor #001/100
• 2009 UD Ultimate Collection Jumbo Patch #/35
• 2002 UD Ultimate Collection Jumbo Super Patch Stripes
• 1999 Topps Tek Gold P18B#/10
• 2003 Leaf Limited Leather and Lace #/10
• Many more patch, auto, and refractor cards

Don Zimmer PC:
• Discovery of Don Zimmer cameo appearances on 3 different 1961 Topps Checklist Cards
• 2007 Topps Triple Threads NY to LA 6-Player Booklet Relics Gold #/9

***** League PC
• 7 out of the 10 2001 Topps Chrome What Could Have Been Refractors
• 2006 Topps Sterling Buck Leonard Cut Auto

Vintage
• 1893 Hardcover Book "Baseball Sights Around the World" by Harry Clay Palmer
• 1941 Program for Rabbit Maranville "Welcome Home Dinner"
• 1933 DeLong card of Kiki Cuyler

Sketch Card PC
• 1/1 Pack Issued Sketch Cards of: Cap Anson, Brooks Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Ron Santo, Anthony Rizzo, Spud Chandler, Cleon Jones, Hanley Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, David Cone, Luke Appling, and Johnny Podres

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I can't for the life of me find my collecting goals posts for 2020 so I'll just wing it with some goals I set for myself this year.

1. Finish ten of the 90s Insert Sets on my list.
- I did this and more. I'm at 23 sets finished so far. The bad thing is I added forty some odd more sets to the list.

2. Finish my 1995 Select Certified Master Set.
- Assuming the Canseco Gold Team insert I bought on eBay ships sometime (not hopeful because it's been almost two weeks with no response to messages) then I'm done. If not I'm down to just the 1 card.

3. Find one card from my Jeff Frye want list.
- I did this as well thanks to the Electric Diamond Gold auction. I also had to add the 1993 Topps Porcelain to my list though so I ended up with a net change of zero.

4. Finish a Ryan Helsley rainbow.
- I finished three minus the supers or 1/1s. I'm okay with that. I know where the supers that have been pulled are and maybe I can talk them down to a reasonable price in the future.

5. Add 10 cards to my Oklahoma player RC/Auto collection.
- Didn't even get close. In fact I decided to punt this collection and move on to other things.

6. Sell/trade some of the clutter.
- Built a 40x80 shop instead. More room = less clutter :)

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
2020 sucked rat ****! Covid covid covid. lock downs and even worse lock downs. Politician's and DR Fauci playing dictating Gods and do as they say and not as they do. I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago and had 3 stints put in 2 arteries. Then 4 days after that had a tooth break off and get infected on a week end and no dentist would touch me because I am on blood thinners. Had to go to an oral surgeon.$$$$ I have not watched the news in weeks because of all the BS going on, just sick of it all. I guess it could be worse.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Great stuff on the card front, but a 40 x 80 shop? Are you kidding me? Now that makes me jealous.

I can't for the life of me find my collecting goals posts for 2020 so I'll just wing it with some goals I set for myself this year.

1. Finish ten of the 90s Insert Sets on my list.
- I did this and more. I'm at 23 sets finished so far. The bad thing is I added forty some odd more sets to the list.

2. Finish my 1995 Select Certified Master Set.
- Assuming the Canseco Gold Team insert I bought on eBay ships sometime (not hopeful because it's been almost two weeks with no response to messages) then I'm done. If not I'm down to just the 1 card.

3. Find one card from my Jeff Frye want list.
- I did this as well thanks to the Electric Diamond Gold auction. I also had to add the 1993 Topps Porcelain to my list though so I ended up with a net change of zero.

4. Finish a Ryan Helsley rainbow.
- I finished three minus the supers or 1/1s. I'm okay with that. I know where the supers that have been pulled are and maybe I can talk them down to a reasonable price in the future.

5. Add 10 cards to my Oklahoma player RC/Auto collection.
- Didn't even get close. In fact I decided to punt this collection and move on to other things.

6. Sell/trade some of the clutter.
- Built a 40x80 shop instead. More room = less clutter :)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
2020 sucked rat ****! Covid covid covid. lock downs and even worse lock downs. Politician's and DR Fauci playing dictating Gods and do as they say and not as they do. I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago and had 3 stints put in 2 arteries. Then 4 days after that had a tooth break off and get infected on a week end and no dentist would touch me because I am on blood thinners. Had to go to an oral surgeon.$$$$ I have not watched the news in weeks because of all the BS going on, just sick of it all. I guess it could be worse.

That sucks man, your doing better right?
I don't have TV and avoid/mute news on social media. I agree though

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Good year for my collection.

Darin Erstad
Knocked off about 100 wants from the Erstad list. Bought out 2 collectors.

Bucky Jacobsen
Added a couple 1/1 and found one more card I needed. Only missing 4 non-1/1 cards.

Will Clark / Eddie Murray
Have started piecing these out to other collectors.

Aaron Kurcz
Finished off all the non-1/1 cards except for a numbered Red Bowman auto. Also collecting a duplicate of every card signed by him. Really had hoped to find a game worn jersey or something but nothing has popped up in a long time.

2021 should be interesting. I don't expect to add much but hope the momentum from this year continues.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Dude. A heart attack? With stents. And then a tooth problem to boot? Those medical things are definitely reason enough to hate 2020. I might disagree with you politically, but regardless of the reasons, I agree with you on that feeling. 2020 can go to hell.

I'm glad you're feeling alright now. Wish you good luck on staying healthy in 2021, and of course picking up lots of new Juan Gonzalez cards.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Bought out two player collections? And knocked 100 off your want list? Oh man. That is a banner year.

By the laws governing obsessive player collectors, I am now obligated to hate you. :) :)

Good year for my collection.

Darin Erstad
Knocked off about 100 wants from the Erstad list. Bought out 2 collectors.

Bucky Jacobsen
Added a couple 1/1 and found one more card I needed. Only missing 4 non-1/1 cards.

Will Clark / Eddie Murray
Have started piecing these out to other collectors.

Aaron Kurcz
Finished off all the non-1/1 cards except for a numbered Red Bowman auto. Also collecting a duplicate of every card signed by him. Really had hoped to find a game worn jersey or something but nothing has popped up in a long time.

2021 should be interesting. I don't expect to add much but hope the momentum from this year continues.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I have to say that you've got one of the best memorabilia collections out there. The stuff you track down is legendary. Especially the pieces from the integration days.

As I get older I appreciate more what these men went through. They were simply fighting to be recognized and treated as men. And it took balls to do this. Brass balls. It took the kind of courage that this country could really benefit from these days. So good on you for creating this kind of archive.

2020 has been a brutal year on so many levels. Like many people, I feel like I focused more heavily on collecting in place of other things to do, and ended up picking up some really cool pieces.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Great stuff on the card front, but a 40 x 80 shop? Are you kidding me? Now that makes me jealous.

About half of it will end up being a commercial grade smokehouse as part of my exit plan from public service. I'm hoping to have that up and running by the end of the spring. COVID threw some major wrenches in my plan unfortunately. I was on track to have BBQ sauce on the shelf in local stores in July but COVID shut down our local food packing plant in May so that's all on hold until this mess starts to resolve itself. I'm hoping they'll be able to reopen soon.

The rest is storage and a shop for my woodworking tools. Having the storage area in the new shop will eventually allow me to turn our old shop building into a man cave/home theater.

Members online