Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1983 Ajax Dog Food Set - Hrbeck and others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I thought I had a Hrbek from this set and finally found it. According to SCD, the checklist is:

PLAYER YEAR DESCRIPTION
DAVIS,CHILI 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
GUERRERO,PEDRO 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
HRBEK,KENT 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
MCGEE,WILLIE 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
RIPKEN,CAL JR 1983 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)

Does anyone have a card of their player? Here is the Hrbek. The quality is so bad it is laughable. It looks like someone cut out the picture and glued it to a piece of paper to make the card. Plus they butchered Hrbek's name. I remember getting this out of a quarter box at a show in 1987 or 88.

1983AjaxDogFood.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Greg Cleveland said:
Mine is from 1984. At least this time they put a dog on the card! :lol:

ajax.jpg

Yep, they really upgraded the quality for the 1984 Set. Here is the checklist:

PLAYER YEAR DESCRIPTION
BELL,GEORGE 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
BOGGS,WADE 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
DAVIS,JODY 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
FAEDO,LEN 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
FRANCO,JULIO 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
GAETTI,GARY 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
HALL,MEL 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
KITTLE,RON 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
STRAWBERRY,DARRYL 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food #NNO (blank back/black border)
STRAWBERRY,DARRYL 1984 Border Type - Ajax Dog Food Error #NNO (blank back/black border/Mookie Wilson pictured)

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
No, I still need the Willie. I saw one on ebay when I first started collecting him last year and should have jumped all over it.

1983AjaxWillieMcgee.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Awesome thread! 2 things stand out as funny (aside from the cards themselves):
1) Odd that a "collectable" used to promote a product doesn't contain ANY mention or logo of said product (at least the 83's)
2) The '84 Strawberry error is wonderful on many levels. I want one

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Here's the Rickey although I had always seen it listed as a 1984 Ajax

84ajax.jpg

I know a few other Rickey collectors do too. Can you tell me the source where you got it that it says its an 1983 issue?

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Leffer said:

84ajax.jpg

I know a few other Rickey collectors do too. Can you tell me the source where you got it that it says its an 1983 issue?

2003 SCD Catalog

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
This Ripken just had 18 bids and went for $99! In the description, the consigner writes,

This auction is for a rare 1983 Ajax Dog Food Cal Ripken card. My seller has told me this is an oiginal and not a reprint, as he is an expert on Cal Ripken oddball cards. This card is in great shape, although it has a couple print dots at the top of the card on the black edge, and has a couple very small print dots at the bottom edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1983-Ajax-Dog-Food-Cal-Ripken-Card-Balt-Orioles-/330604332120

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
1) Odd that a "collectable" used to promote a product doesn't contain ANY mention or logo of said product (at least the 83's)
I'm not sure that an Ajax Dog Food company even exists.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
tpeichel said:
Brewer Andy said:
I'm not sure that an Ajax Dog Food company even exists.

One of the old catalogs I had back in the early 90's said as much. These things look appalling but I really want a copy of the 1983 Chili Davis. The best thing about these sets is that they felt the need to give Len Faedo a card in 1984. Calling him a common would be an upgrade!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
These literally look like they were made on an office copy machine. Contender for worst cards ever made. Which actually makes them awesome. Thanks for sharing them!

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Newer SCD Annuals do not list them anymore because they don't recognize them as an "official" issue--like Broder cards. Older ones--like 2003--list them, and have a little bit of the back story on them. I wonder what made them change their minds about their "validity" as a set.

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Leffer said:

84ajax.jpg

I'm still trying to track one of these down. About 3-4 years ago a complete set was poorly listed, and sold for around $40. But, I was out of town at the time, and forgot to bid. I emailed the seller, and he offered to sell ne the Rickey for $200! Needless to say, I declined his offer.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
ManOfSteal said:
Leffer said:

84ajax.jpg

I'm still trying to track one of these down. About 3-4 years ago a complete set was poorly listed, and sold for around $40. But, I was out of town at the time, and forgot to bid. I emailed the seller, and he offered to sell ne the Rickey for $200! Needless to say, I declined his offer.

$200? I need to go print out some copies.

Members online

Latest posts