Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

6 to 12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
article.jsp

Liddi becomes first Italian-raised big leaguer
Mariners third baseman lone European Academy grad in Majors
ANAHEIM -- Third baseman Alex Liddi was at Angel Stadium a year ago to play in the Futures Game, but the future finally arrived in force Tuesday as the Italian native was promoted to the Mariners from Triple-A Tacoma.

Liddi, 23, will become the first graduate of the Major League Baseball European Academy to play in the Majors, as well as the first Italian-born-and-raised player to make it, as soon as he gets in a game for Seattle.

Six Italian-born athletes have previously played in the Majors -- the last being Reno Bertoia in 1962 -- but all of those players moved to the United States as youngsters.

Path to The Show: Liddi00:01:35Mariners third baseman prospect Alex Liddi talks about his promotion to the Mariners and becoming the first Italian-raised Major LeaguerTags: Alex Liddi, Path to the Show, Army, Seattle MarinersShare: Facebook Twitter Email Related Video
Liddi's grand slamCarp's 20-game hitting streakCarp's two-run blast
"It's an honor and something special to think I represent all my friends and all the people in Italy that didn't have this chance that I've had," Liddi said before Tuesday's game against the Angels. "For me and my family and all the people in Italy who love this game, it's something special."

Liddi just finished an outstanding season at Triple-A, leading the Pacific Coast League with 121 runs scored, ranking third in home runs (30) and fourth in RBIs (104). He was just the second Tacoma player ever to total 100 runs and 100 RBIs in the same season.

Liddi was born and raised in Sanremo, Italy, and came to the United States in 2006 to play for the Peoria Mariners after signing with Seattle as an international free agent.

"My dad played baseball and my mom played softball. Not a lot of people do that in Italy," Liddi said. "It was always my passion. I grew up on a baseball field and it was always part of my life.

"Baseball is getting better there. They have a semi-pro league with a lot of ex-big leaguers. Of course, it's not close to here, but hopefully it'll keep getting better and we'll have more players in Italy doing what I'm doing."

Manager Eric Wedge said he wants to continue seeing rookie Kyle Seager at third base, but that Liddi will "get some playing time" when possible.

"I wouldn't say a lot, but he'll get some time," Wedge said. "Let him get up here today and work out, be a part of it. I'll try to get him in there as much as I can, but I want to continue playing Seager, too."

Members online

Latest posts