Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Cards on Auction Kings: Tuesday 8pm CST Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Just saw the commercial and will bump the thread as a reminder for everyone. Looks like a nice vintage lot with Mantle etc.

Show airs Tuesday night on Discovery.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Re: Baseball Cards on Auctions Kings: Tuesday 8pm CST Discovery

probably might also have a early 2000's fleer Pat Burrell auto (see opening sequence of Storage Wars). :lol:

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

rsmath said:
probably might also have a early 2000's fleer Pat Burrell auto (see opening sequence of Storage Wars). :lol:
I can't believe they show that in the opening segment like it's somthing great. But hey, they also show a 90 Leaf Sosa! :lol:

autocut

IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:
I can't believe they show that in the opening segment like it's somthing great. But hey, they also show a 90 Leaf Sosa! :lol:

At one point it was. :)

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC

Hopefully they'll unveil the ultra-rare 1986 Sportflics Robin Yount Error Card!

A_Pharis

autocut said:
IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:

The episode of SW that is from cracks me up. Not only does the guy that bought the unit grotesquely overvalue the cards, but so does the "expert" they take them to.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

A_Pharis said:
autocut said:
IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:

The episode of SW that is from cracks me up. Not only does the guy that bought the unit grotesquely overvalue the cards, but so does the "expert" they take them to.
Was the expert Teawolves or Burbank?

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

A_Pharis said:
autocut said:
IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:

The prices were in pesos. Come on, its California.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

monday bump

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota

A_Pharis said:
autocut said:
IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:

I really want to see that episode. Every time it airs, I've missed it. I'm curious to see what they're valued at.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI

Sjrmn91 said:
A_Pharis said:
autocut said:
IndyManning18 said:
rsmath said:

I really want to see that episode. Every time it airs, I've missed it. I'm curious to see what they're valued at.

It was on this weekend during a marathon of the show. The guy in California valued the "sports memorabilia lot" at a retial value of like $4K. I laughed and told my wife that the value was probably closer to 10-20% of that.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008

Guys, it's show business. When you're trying to sell something, whether it's commercial time on TV or the price guide you're putting out, it's way more entertaining to say something's worth a lot compared to a little or nothing. And greater entertainment = sales/ratings. There was an episode of Antiques Roadshow where a person brought in about 100 Star Wars cards, the ones from 1977, and their 'expert' valued them at about $800 rather than the $25 that is closer to reality. That makes the person who owns them happy, which makes the viewer more excited (or appalled, depending), and feel good about the show/magazine in general, hopefully enticing them to watch/buy again. Didn't we all go through the phase of buying Beckett every month because the value of our collections kept increasing?

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota

smapdi said:
Guys, it's show business. When you're trying to sell something, whether it's commercial time on TV or the price guide you're putting out, it's way more entertaining to say something's worth a lot compared to a little or nothing. And greater entertainment = sales/ratings. There was an episode of Antiques Roadshow where a person brought in about 100 Star Wars cards, the ones from 1977, and their 'expert' valued them at about $800 rather than the $25 that is closer to reality. That makes the person who owns them happy, which makes the viewer more excited (or appalled, depending), and feel good about the show/magazine in general, hopefully enticing them to watch/buy again. Didn't we all go through the phase of buying Beckett every month because the value of our collections kept increasing?

I understand why it happens, I just find more entertainment in knowing that the values they give them are nowhere near the actual value of the product. And in reference to SW, I love that even more when it happens to Dave.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

tuesday morning bump

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008

The storage unit is probably filled with case of 1991 Topps, Donruss, and UD. Whenever they show cards on TV they are always crap cards; and the people think they are worth SOOOOOOO much $$$. It always makes them appear dumber than they already are.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
A bit off subject but it does pertain to odd-ball pricing on these shows. Last night on an episode of Pawn Stars the Shop bought a Snoop Dog doll / Action figure from 2001 for $100.....which means they think the store can resell it for more than $100. The items sells for $30 on eBay......

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
ronfromfresno said:
A bit off subject but it does pertain to odd-ball pricing on these shows. Last night on an episode of Pawn Stars the Shop bought a Snoop Dog doll / Action figure from 2001 for $100.....which means they think the store can resell it for more than $100. The items sells for $30 on eBay......

When they showed the preview, I thought that was a 10 -20 item. Was shocked when chumlee bought it for 100. That obviously was a fix, makes u wonder how much of that show is really a totsl fake.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ronfromfresno said:

Pawn Stars is 99% staged.

Even the "customers" are bad actors.

You ever notice how, when someone comes in to sell an item, there is barely anyone else in the store with them? Yet, in all their cut scenes, the store is jam packed?

Wouldnt surprise me to find out that the store isnt a real pawn shop either

Members online

Latest posts