Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards that used to be HUGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
As many of you know, I love to dig through bargain bins for hidden treasure. Well, after going to a show today I decided to start a thread showcasing cards that used to sell for tons back in the day but maybe deserve to be in bargain bins today. Feel free to post any of your finds. Here's the first installment of my hunt:

$1 - These used to sell for $100+ and still book at $100!
guzman.jpg

$1 for the Culpepper and 10 cents for the Carr - I'm pretty sure the Culpepper used to be a $100 card and the Carr was probably up there as he was the #1 pick in the 2002 draft. Probably a $50+ card back in 2002.
Football.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Several years ago I picked up a Josh Hamilton Bowman RC /100 (or /99, can't remember) for $1. I then laughed when someone bought it from me for $35. Oops.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Are the Guzman and Culpepper cards refractors / retrofractors?

JVC said:
As many of you know, I love to dig through bargain bins for hidden treasure. Well, after going to a show today I decided to start a thread showcasing cards that used to sell for tons back in the day but maybe deserve to be in bargain bins today. Feel free to post any of your finds. Here's the first installment of my hunt:

guzman.jpg

$1 for the Culpepper and 10 cents for the Carr - I'm pretty sure the Culpepper used to be a $100 card and the Carr was probably up there as he was the #1 pick in the 2002 draft. Probably a $50+ card back in 2002.
Football.jpg

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Sean_C said:
Are the Guzman and Culpepper cards refractors / retrofractors?

JVC said:

guzman.jpg

Football.jpg

Yes, the Guzman is a retrofractor and the Culpepper is an international refractor.

cwc2002

Dec 7, 2008
2007 Chris Davis rookie autos. These used to sell for >$120 at its peak and now they barely get like $10 or so.
Picture743.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I picked up a 2000 Bowman's Best Chin-Feng Chen RC at the show today for a dime. Books for $30; I could have bought 300 copies for $30. Does his value come from overseas collectors?

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
cwc2002 said:
2007 Chris Davis rookie autos. These used to sell for >$120 at its peak and now they barely get like $10 or so.
Picture743.jpg

Actually, it peaked at $150. That's what I sold mine for! :cool:

And I sold the version /50 for $399.95 :shock:

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
ballerskrip said:
JOBA

PHIL HUGHES

KEVIN MAAS

Joba... I recently sold a card that used to sell for like 80$ for around 15$ (I pulled it from a pack though, so its not like I lost any money [other than what the box cost])

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg

These used to sell for hundreds at shows, maybe $5-$10 on ebay now.
front.jpg

Refractors seeded 1 in a box in general used to be huge not anymore, sort of the same with GU and many autos. Actually very few modern cards have increased or maintained in value.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Dice-K Collector said:
Easy answer to this- All Daisuke matsuzaka RC autos.

Completely agree with this..when he came into the league I couldn't get one of his autos because they were just too expensive, but I paid almost $50 for his jersey card or so, I paid $8 a different time for 3 of the same jersey cards. So now I have 4 that in total I paid $58 for... :lol:

Members online

Latest posts