Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do some sellers put crazy buy it now prices on ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grapplemoves

Oct 14, 2011
I see some cards listed with very high buy it nows with no best offer option. Do you think these sellers really think their cards are worth this much or are they just hoping for some idiot with a nice bankroll to buy it?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Because if you put a high buy now price, it gives lots of room for negotiation.
If I want 100.00 for something, someone might be willing to pay 150 or 200 for it. If I put it up for 500 or best offer, someone might think 200 is a great deal and offers twice as much as I actually wanted.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
They are hoping for an uneducated person to come along. It's funny to see an ended auction at $10 and a BIN at $40. Actually, it can be unsettling if you were the unlucky seller. Also, I think people do it because, deep down, they are not ready to sell.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It can also help create the illusion that the player and/or set is more valuable than it really is - so it helps to sell *other* cards.

But occasionally the seller doesn't have a clue what it would sell for at auction either.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Why not list it at whatever price? It is the sellers card and nowhere does it say they must sell it at a low price. See Burbank, love or hate them they sell cards to buyers willing to step up to the plate.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
TomMurry said:
Because if you put a high buy now price, it gives lots of room for negotiation.
If I want 100.00 for something, someone might be willing to pay 150 or 200 for it. If I put it up for 500 or best offer, someone might think 200 is a great deal and offers twice as much as I actually wanted.
grapplemoves said:
I see some cards listed with very high buy it nows with no best offer option. Do you think these sellers really think their cards are worth this much or are they just hoping for some idiot with a nice bankroll to buy it?
bozemanbreaker said:
It only takes one big game for that Buy It Now to get hit.
this could make sense, but not for retired/deceased players

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
People use ebay as a museum to show off their big pulls. Many of them have no intention of selling the card in question, they just want everyone to know that they pulled some ridiculous card that's going to generate a lot of buzz when the collecting world finds out. "Look at me, I own this awesome card, I value it at 100x what it will eventually sell for, and you cannot have it! And I have massive swinging genitalia!"

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
I know when I'm bored , I like to start my search with highest price just to see whats out there. Maybe other people think they will get tons of hits that way.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
The answer is simple-most people don't like to leave $$ on the table. That is why I would put a large BIN on a card at least.

I cannot tell you how many times people have hit the BIN on items I thought would never get hit. All it takes is one person.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hail2thevictors said:
The answer is simple-most people don't like to leave $$ on the table. That is why I would put a large BIN on a card at least.

I cannot tell you how many times people have hit the BIN on items I thought would never get hit. All it takes is one person.
his question was why put a ridiculous BIN with NO best offer option.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
ThoseBackPages said:
they like to show how large their "junk" is
I do this for just the opposite. ;) It ain't no big thang ;)

Oh....and when Paul Edward Goldschmidt (born September 10, 1987)hit a Grande Slammie, in a Playoff game I listed his 2010 base Bowman Platinum Auto for like 25.99 and at the time they where getting about 15 to 18. It last about 8 minutes after listing and that was at midnight my time the same night of the game. Not that was super high in any stretch but I dug the fact I could get 25.99 plus shipping for an auto I pulled out of a 8.99 rack pack from last year.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I have a bunch of stuff listed at prices I want. Most of it is way over current market value, because I don't want to sell at current market value. But because eBay has the option for listings to stay active until canceled, why not list my stuff now just in case someone IS willing to pay my price right now? It can't possibly sell if you don't have it listed, so at least you're giving it a chance by listing it, even if your price is high.

And then when stuff moves upward in the future, I don't have to rush to eBay to get all my stuff listed because my listings are already active.

That said, I almost always use Best Offer listings, but I still do the same for these (high BIN price and counter all offers to what I want on the card, even if above current market price).

I can't speak for everyone because I'm sure there are different reasons people do it, but this is what I do and I think it's very logical from a selling perspective.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
hail2thevictors said:

This. I as a seller am interested in finding the person who is willing to pay the most for my cards. Often, there's one person willing to pay far more than anyone else. Auction prices are dictated by the amount that the SECOND highest bidder is willing to pay. Why should I buy into that pricing framework?

It's clear that a lot of people here are biased towards bargain hunting, and that's fine. But the fact that I want to get the highest prices for my cards doesn't make me an "idiot" And the fact that someone pays me a high price for the only available copy of a card doesn't make them "uneducated".

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Many good points mentioned here. IMO, most of the time it's the seller hoping someone will hit it. I've been looking at Bagwell stuff on ebay for years now and still have seen stuff that's never sold. With large BIN's with no BO option. Still they relist it. We've already had this argument before but unless you have a 1/1, you can do what you want with your cards but I'll continue to pay what I want and call it a day. I've got the entire internet to peruse through. Thousands of cards to choose from. And you can bet the card you want maximum money for, will eventually pop up for auction. I'll win it for a price I want to pay, and you'll still be holding onto your cards. That's how it goes and it doesn't look to change anytime soon.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Superfractor said:
The high BINs without BOs are comical; but the delusional ones are the sellers that list at a high starting bid, and re-list at a higher, ad infinitum. :lol:

+1

or better yet, +infinity

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I like seeing a BIN for a $5 card at like $30. For example, some card just sold for $5 and someone has it at BIN for $30. I usually email them and I'm like, yo one of these just sold for $5, you willing to go down?

Then I never get a response, lol.

Members online

Latest posts