Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do People post the same thing on multiple message boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Just curious as to why.

I had actually never been over to a competing message board til a couple of days ago, just to check it out.

I hopped over the hobby section and see some members here posting the exact same threads here as they do over there.

I guess my question is, why?

I also got a kick to see quite a few topics over there, that have been re-posted by FCB members here.

I guess I wasn't aware.

skrip

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
Just curious as to why.

I had actually never been over to a competing message board til a couple of days ago, just to check it out.

I hopped over the hobby section and see some members here posting the exact same threads here as they do over there.

I also got a kick to see quite a few topics over there, that have been re-posted by FCB members here.

I guess I wasn't aware.

skrip

Maybe because people like you (and me) frequent only a single message boards. :)

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Topnotchsy said:
ballerskrip said:
Just curious as to why.

I guess I wasn't aware.

skrip

Maybe because people like you (and me) frequent only a single message boards. :)

I guess I was just surprised. I hopped over there to check it out, as I am looking for new sources to find prospects, etc. Kind of caught me off guard.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
More ideas/viewpoints on something, happy about a pickup that they just want to share with others knowing that not everyone goes to other boards, and my third idea is "just because".

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
800 members here, 800 members there......
more circulation, more feedback?????

Not quite sure, I stick to FCB only, although the posts have lagged lately.....

a message boards peak years around 4. Forums are almost silly when you think how easy it it to discuss stuff on Facebook.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Sometimes I post the same content on multiple boards. Either trying to sell and reach more potential customers or to put information out and not everyone's on FCB.

I have also seen others "board jumping"? Either trying to get more opinions or attention or whatever.

Once I posted a thread on another board and linked it to here. Was asked if I worked for FCB. 1 link. A informative link as well. Some people....

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
There are lots of people who only visit one message board. If you're hanging out on a cheesy board and pick up some important hobby news, and then check FCB to see if it's been posted, and it hasn't.... it's your DUTY to post it here. How else are the cool people who hang out here supposed to find out?

There are different crowds that hang out on different message boards. I'll take a real life example I read recently and fictionalize it to save research...

FCB
OP: Got some retail mojo
I went to Target and looked at their boxes and blah blah so I bought this one box and pulled this awesome rookie auto!! I don't know who this guy is though, does he have a bright future?

Response : Cooool story bro.
Response : You should hop on ebay and sell that for $1.25 [ebay link]
Response : Do you really have nothing better to do than post these silly retail breaks?
Response : WoW I can't believe you think that's mojo. You know nothing about prospecting.
Response : :lol: $1.25 mojo :lol: who is this clown!?
Response : Hall of Shame worthy?
Response : NIIICE!!!!!!!!! IBL!!!! Derek Jeter!

The Bench
I went to Target and looked at their boxes and blah blah so I bought this one box and pulled this awesome rookie auto!! I don't know who this guy is though, does he have a bright future?

Response : Nice pull, congrats!
Response : Way to go Brad!
Response : That's awesome, he's not projected very high but he could turn it around, you never know!
Response : That's true, Cecil Fielder didn't have his break through season until he was about 30.
Response : Great pull!
Response : Keep up the awesome retail hits man, and keep posting a new thread about each one!
Response : Congrats!
Response : Is that beauty for trade!? CMB!!!

You really can get two completely different sets of responses from the two boards. It's interesting. And don't get me wrong.... at this stage of life I spend 97% of my baseball card time here at FCB. :grouphug: It's the "Derek Jeter" responses that keep me coming back. :D

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
It is retarded to post the same thing on other boards and I find the 'attention grab' silly at times.

However, as a lurker on various, related boards, how am I supposed to dictate what someone else feels they are compelled to post?

Do people posting something need my written consent if they intend to do so in multiple places?

In the end, I just roll my eyes and move on.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Lars said:
It is retarded to post the same thing on other boards and I find the 'attention grab' silly at times.

However, as a lurker on various, related boards, how am I supposed to dictate what someone else feels they are compelled to post?

Do people posting something need my written consent if they intend to do so in multiple places?

In the end, I just roll my eyes and move on.

So its retarded to post a pre-release checklist to a popular set here and then again on another board ?

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
It makes sense to post on other boards if you have questions about certain sets, promos, sample cards, etc... My favorite board is this one but it is not the end all and I have met very, very knowledgeable collectors on other sites that don't visit this one. For player collectors especially if you have a question about a rare set/issue it is important to get the word out to as many people as possible.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Lots of good answers, many I hadn't thought.

The ones mentioned make a lot of sense.

I guess the ones I don't get are general hobby posts.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Probably been mentioned, I didn't read all the replies, is that there are more eyes on the topic at hand.

FCB only has a certain reach in ourhobby and is one of the youngest boards out there. There are many fine members on SCF and The Bench who are not here and vice versa.

Not to mention some of the guys on the PSA boards and on, uh, that vintage board (I forgot the damn name, kind of upsetting). You could post a vintage question here and get certain responses and post there and get the complete opposite.

And, well, some people just like receiving validation from as many people as possible.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
ballerskrip said:
Just curious as to why.

I guess I wasn't aware.

skrip
'

To get more answers. How is this not obvious to you? Your posts are really daft bro.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
RL24 said:
There are lots of people who only visit one message board. If you're hanging out on a cheesy board and pick up some important hobby news, and then check FCB to see if it's been posted, and it hasn't.... it's your DUTY to post it here. How else are the cool people who hang out here supposed to find out?

There are different crowds that hang out on different message boards. I'll take a real life example I read recently and fictionalize it to save research...

FCB

Response : Cooool story bro.
Response : You should hop on ebay and sell that for $1.25 [ebay link]
Response : Do you really have nothing better to do than post these silly retail breaks?
Response : WoW I can't believe you think that's mojo. You know nothing about prospecting.
Response : :lol: $1.25 mojo :lol: who is this clown!?
Response : Hall of Shame worthy?
Response : NIIICE!!!!!!!!! IBL!!!! Derek Jeter!

The Bench

Response : Nice pull, congrats!
Response : Way to go Brad!
Response : That's awesome, he's not projected very high but he could turn it around, you never know!
Response : That's true, Cecil Fielder didn't have his break through season until he was about 30.
Response : Great pull!
Response : Keep up the awesome retail hits man, and keep posting a new thread about each one!
Response : Congrats!
Response : Is that beauty for trade!? CMB!!!

You really can get two completely different sets of responses from the two boards. It's interesting. And don't get me wrong.... at this stage of life I spend 97% of my baseball card time here at FCB. :grouphug: It's the "Derek Jeter" responses that keep me coming back. :D

I could not possibly have said this better, or in a more hilarious fashion. You come here and there's a "discussion" about orange vs gold refractors - you go there and people are still trying to figure out how to tell the Bowman Chrome refractors from the base cards for their set. Just entirely different audiences, so I can understand why you'd post both places.

Members online

Latest posts