Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GM for a day.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
A questioned like this was posed on my Facebook and it got a lot of responses from a lot of people who aren't too knowledgeable about sports, so I figured it would garner more attention here and more reasonable responses.

The basic premise is simple, and you can be the GM of whatever team you want for one day. You can make three moves. All have to be reasonable, you can trade a player, sign a player and you can higher and/or fire your manager or whoever.

If I was the general manager for Seattle with my first move, I would do the obvious & sign Prince Fielder. I know I said the moves have to be a reasonable and a lot of people are questioning Seattle and if they have the money to make this deal, so with my second move I would try and make a three-way trade (this counts as two moves).

Seattle would give up: Felix Hernandes, Vinnie Catricala and James Paxton.
Seattle would get: Hanley Ramirez, Jesus Montero/Gary Sanchez, and Mason Williams

New York would get: Felix Fernandez and the $/PTBNL
New York would give up: Ivan Nova, Jesus Montero/Gary Sanchez , Dellin Betances, and Mason Williams

Miami would get: Ivan Nova, Dellin Betances, James Paxton and Vinnie Catricala.
Miami would give up: Hanley Ramirez & $/PTBNL

Now that I typed that all out, I don't know if it is as believable as it sounded my head. I think it goes without question that New York would be willing to give out three of those players for Felix Fernandez, I'm just not sure if they would give up Mason Williams. On Seattle's end, I would be willing to get Gary Sanchez over Montero if it meant that we got Mason Williams (I'm not even sure if they would be willing to give up him either). Miami really needs some pitching prospects as they have one of the worst farm systems in the major leagues and adding two top 100 pitchers and a top 150 bat would wash away the foul taste in their mouth that has recently been Hanley Ramirez. Michael Pineda would definitely have to stand up in 2012 for Seattle and be their number one pitcher but I don't believe it is that far out of the realm of possibility. Seattle would be giving out one of the best pitchers in the last few decades, in turn, their lineup would go from anemic two amazing.

Wes

OG
Administrator
SydBarrett said:
A questioned like this was posed on my Facebook and it got a lot of responses from a lot of people who aren't too knowledgeable about sports, so I figured it would garner more attention here and more reasonable responses.

The basic premise is simple, and you can be the GM of whatever team you want for one day. You can make three moves. All have to be reasonable, you can trade a player, sign a player and you can higher and/or fire your manager or whoever.

If I was the general manager for Seattle with my first move, I would do the obvious & sign Prince Fielder. I know I said the moves have to be a reasonable and a lot of people are questioning Seattle and if they have the money to make this deal, so with my second move I would try and make a three-way trade (this counts as two moves).

Seattle would get: Hanley Ramirez, Jesus Montero/Gary Sanchez, and Mason Williams

New York would give up: Ivan Nova, Jesus Montero/Gary Sanchez , Dellin Betances, and Mason Williams

Now that I typed that all out, I don't know if it is as believable as it sounded my head. I think it goes without question that New York would be willing to give out three of those players for Felix Fernandez, I'm just not sure if they would give up Mason Williams. On Seattle's end, I would be willing to get Gary Sanchez over Montero if it meant that we got Mason Williams (I'm not even sure if they would be willing to give up him either). Miami really needs some pitching prospects as they have one of the worst farm systems in the major leagues and adding two top 100 pitchers and a top 150 bat would wash away the foul taste in their mouth that has recently been Hanley Ramirez. Michael Pineda would definitely have to stand up in 2012 for Seattle and be their number one pitcher but I don't believe it is that far out of the realm of possibility. Seattle would be giving out one of the best pitchers in the last few decades, in turn, their lineup would go from anemic two amazing.

Edit - I apologize for not reading the signature.

There is absolutely no way in hell the Marlins or Yankees would make that deal.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
SydBarrett said:
I think it goes without question that New York would be willing to give out three of those players for Felix Fernandez

I don't know, they would package Montero and Betances for Lee or Halladay. Would they really throw in their #2 starter as well?

I wouldn't give up Nova/Montero/Betances/Williams for anybody.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Wes said:
First of all, it's Felix Hernandez, not Felix Fernandez, not Felix Hernandes. Second, there is absolutely no way in hell the Marlins or Yankees would make that deal.

Congrats on being a ....

Hey, I'm Kyle from Central California; I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2, if you or your children would like to volunteer please visit MDA's website. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to type all my posts, so if there are small grammatical errors please forgive me.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

First of all, it's Felix Hernandez, not Felix Fernandez, not Felix Hernandes. Second, there is absolutely no way in hell the Marlins or Yankees would make that deal.

See my signature, I do my best with what I can. And as far as the Yankees making a trade or not, you can't tell me that they wouldn't give up at least two of those players and Hanley Ramirez time has come in Miami, I would be willing to bet my useless legs he isn't playing for them next august.

vwnut13 said:
SydBarrett said:
I think it goes without question that New York would be willing to give out three of those players for Felix Fernandez

I don't know, they would package Montero and Betances for Lee or Halladay. Would they really throw in their #2 starter as well?

I wouldn't give up Nova/Montero/Betances/Williams for anybody.

It's just a fantasy, as I was typing it up I was second-guessing myself because I also didn't think that New York got enough then again I really don't care for New York so if they didn't come out as good as Seattle I would be fine with that :mrgreen:

Wes

OG
Administrator
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

See my signature, I do my best with what I can. And as far as the Yankees making a trade or not, you can't tell me that they wouldn't give up at least two of those players and Hanley Ramirez time has come in Miami, I would be willing to bet my useless legs he isn't playing for them next august.

Sorry, I glossed over the signature and the screenname, I apologize about my point about the spelling.

I could see NY giving up two, and maybe even three of those four, but not all four. Even if Florida is sick and tired of Hanley, which I don't think they are, they can get considerably better value than the four guys that you listed.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

Sorry, I glossed over the signature and the screenname, I apologize about my point about the spelling.

I could see NY giving up two, and maybe even three of those four, but not all four. Even if Florida is sick and tired of Hanley, which I don't think they are, they can get considerably better value than the four guys that you listed.

It is totally fine, I've been called much worse. and as far as Miami getting better value, I'm not quite sure I agree with you on that. to be completely honest, I don't know that much about Nova or Betances, aside from what I have read about them, but they are both future starting pitchers. James Paxton is projected to be a number two or even number one starting pitcher and Vinnie Catricala is the most underrated prospect the Mariners have, that kid can flat out hit. Would you prefer Tijuana Walker over Paxton?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
If I could be GM for a day of the Marlins, here is my to do list :

1. Fire Ozzie Guillen
2. Get Ozzie Guillen deported
3. Burn everything with the new Marlins logo
4. Hire somebody to read the thank you letters from erasing that atrocious logo's existence
5. Re-hire Ozzie Guillen
6. Fire Ozzie Guillen again, via email
7. Tell Mark Buehrle how much his signing with Miami hurt me, possibly cry on his shoulder

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
SydBarrett said:
to be completely honest, I don't know that much about Nova or Betances, aside from what I have read about them, but they are both future starting pitchers.

Nova isn't a future starting pitcher, he is one.

He was the Yankees second most consistant starter last year. He was 8-0 with a 3.18 ERA after being recalled.

Wes

OG
Administrator
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

It is totally fine, I've been called much worse. and as far as Miami getting better value, I'm not quite sure I agree with you on that. to be completely honest, I don't know that much about Nova or Betances, aside from what I have read about them, but they are both future starting pitchers. James Paxton is projected to be a number two or even number one starting pitcher and Vinnie Catricala is the most underrated prospect the Mariners have, that kid can flat out hit. Would you prefer Tijuana Walker over Paxton?

For what it's worth, I don't even think I even called you a name. Anyways, back to the baseball chat. Yes I'd prefer Walker to Paxton, yet I still don't see Florida making a move like that. They're looking to win now, and while that's not a bad package of prospects those players aren't ready to fill the value that losing Hanley would subtract.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
vwnut13 said:
SydBarrett said:
to be completely honest, I don't know that much about Nova or Betances, aside from what I have read about them, but they are both future starting pitchers.

He was the Yankees second most consistant starter last year. He was 8-0 with a 3.18 ERA after being recalled.

........ and I feel like a complete moron.

Wes

OG
Administrator
SydBarrett said:
vwnut13 said:
SydBarrett said:

........ and I feel like a complete moron.

Well if it makes you feel better, including him increases the value of what goes to Florida and makes your original proposal more palpable. That said, I don't see Betances becoming a reliable major league starter anytime soon.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
If I could be Padres GM for a day I would...

Trade our best player Adrian Gonzalez
Trade our best reliever Mike Adams
Trade our best player Mat Latos
Rumor to trade our best prospect that we got back from the Adrian Gonzalez trade

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with the haul the Padres have received from those trades and the outrageously good farm system we have but at some point we have to sign a few long term, still bitter they traded away Latos; even though they got the better end of the deal.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

so a bunch of prospects are not enough value for hanley, but then a bunch of prospects are too much value for king felix? i dont follow the logic

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:

1. Fire Ozzie Guillen
4. Hire somebody to read the thank you letters from erasing that atrocious logo's existence
5. Re-hire Ozzie Guillen
7. Tell Mark Buehrle how much his signing with Miami hurt me, possibly cry on his shoulder
Don't forget about this: :lol:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/739480/marlins.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wes

OG
Administrator
miguelcabrera said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:

so a bunch of prospects are not enough value for hanley, but then a bunch of prospects are too much value for king felix? i dont follow the logic

~Right, because all prospects have the same value.~

Sent from my Touchpad using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
carlitoson said:
Card Magnet said:

1. Fire Ozzie Guillen
5. Re-hire Ozzie Guillen
Don't forget about this: :lol:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/739480/marlins.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Thanks to the Marlins, Miami is becoming a homosexual version of Las Vegas. I seriously see the gay pride movement shifting there. If it does, at least the Marlins have done one good thing in assisting a movement obtain equal rights.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If I was the yank gm, i would trade for travis snider and matt laporta which would lead to my stashes going up in value ;)

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Red Sox GM for a day

Sign Darren Oliver to 1 year contract
Trade Kevin Youkilis to Anaheim for Ervin Santana
Hire Jason Varitek as pitching coach

Members online