Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cubs Get Andy Sonnanstine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Works for me.

Cubs Agree To Sign Andy Sonnanstine
By Mike Axisa [December 26, 2011 at 4:02pm CST]

The Cubs have agreed to sign Andy Sonnanstine to a non-guaranteed split contract for the 2012 season, the team announced. The Rays non-tendered the Beverly Hills Sports Council client earlier this month rather than give him a raise his second time through arbitration.

Sonnanstine, 29 in March, has worked mostly in relief over the last two seasons, pitching to a 4.78 ERA in 116 2/3 innings. He's made 80 starts and 52 relief appearances during his five seasons with Tampa, though his career strikeout (5.7 K/9) and walk(2.3 BB/9) rates are identical in the two roles. Sonnanstine is a fly ball pitcher and is very homer prone (career 1.3 HR/9), though his ERA is a full run lower when coming out of the bullpen (5.43 vs. 4.40).

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein recently said the team's goal is to "build more depth on the starting pitching front, both in the big leagues and minor leagues," and Sonnanstine helps them accomplish that. He becomes the second pitcher the Cubbies have acquired in the last week, joining Travis Wood (acquired in the Sean Marshall trade).

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, it would be nice to get OUT of the AL East and into the Pujols-Braun-Prince-less Central.

Maybe he can make something of himself.

Here's hoping :)

Good thing i didnt' go after any parallels of that THIRD Rays pitcher back in 06. (Although i did have 100 base chromes of Helly ;))

SonanstineWalker1.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Nothing wrong with stockpiling Pitching when trying to rebuild an entire Francise...

But I'd still take this shot at selling my Sonnanstines NOW if I had any! :lol:

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I have a feeling my beloved Cubbies will have an entire rotation of "5th starters" this coming season. Sonnanstine might be good until about June, when the wind starts blowing out, after which he will be (hopefully) relegated to long relief.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Cubs apparently also signed Manny Corpas today. Way to make a splash in the free agent market, Theo! :? I'm curious what the Cubs bid for Darvish... he would have been a great player to build something around! Why even bother going after Fielder, as it is quite apparent we wouldn't be contenders until his contract is about over.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Andy Sonnanstine gave me whiplash the past two seasons.........good riddance. Anyone who wants to know how bad Andy Sonnanstine is needs only to look at the career Ben Francisco has had against him. Ben Francisco, about as average to below average hitter you'll find in MLB, has made a career against Sonny. If this isn't ownage I don't know what is.

Ben Francisco vs. Sonnanstine

2009 4 - 4 (3)HRs (8)RBIs
2008 2 - 3 HR (2)RBIs
2007 2 - 2 HR (2)RBIs BB

Members online

Latest posts