Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting a new player collection...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Since I have essentially got bored with cards, I figured I would try to put together a player collection. Since my New Year's resolution is to become a better hockey fan, I figured I would collect one of my favorite players, Marion Gaborik.

I don't know how I want to proceed with it quite yet as all of my player collections are put together differently.

Anyway, I don't currently own any cards, but I made this thread to ask a question, where should I start? What cards should I look into picking up?

Thanks for any help!

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
good luck with your new collection. are you going to collect Gaborik in just a Wild jersey or also the Rangers?

I would start with Upper Deck base cards. you can usually get them cheap and they always have great photography. UD releases base cards, Exclusives /100 and Exclusives Spectrum (High Gloss) /10 every season. Upper Deck MVP and Victory are also 2 very cheap sets that have cards that are easily obtainable.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Good choice and good luck!

He is a fairly cheap player compared to his production on the ice.

What you want to collect is totally up to you. Are you more interested in acquiring inserts/parallels or autographs/patches? I'd look to at least add a nice rookie, patch, and autograph to serve as the centerfold of your collection, and build around that.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Right now I am open to any ideas.

Each of my player collections that I have built has been different. I would love a nice centerpiece to my collection, so that would be an awesome place to start.

I will probably do something like one of each base card, but whatever patches, jerseys, and autographs I can get.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
He has an auto from Topps Heritage a few years back - I love the card for three reasons:

1. On-card
2. Wild jersey
3. It's a Topps hockey product - I love their hockey stuff and wish it would come back

I think you can find them for pretty fair prices too

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Slette said:
He has an auto from Topps Heritage a few years back - I love the card for three reasons:

1. On-card
2. Wild jersey
3. It's a Topps hockey product - I love their hockey stuff and wish it would come back

I think you can find them for pretty fair prices too

I never knew topps made hockey in the 00's. I will have to look for that one.

I tossed a bid on this, but I didn't want to go higher since I need whatever money I have for this weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... fresh=true

I think I am going to do him with all teams. There are a lot of cards I like but he's in a Rangers uni, so I think I am going to do both instead of just the Wild.

Members online

Latest posts