Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does a BIN/BO auction with several declines dissuade you????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I've run across a few auctions recently where the number of declines exceeded 10-15. If you are a buyer that is considering offering 50% of the asking price, and you consider that to be a strong offer, does this make you rethink your offer at all?

Or do you just move forward with the thought that you have 3 chances to offer anyway, so it doesnt matter?

Doesnt stop me from trying but am curious to see how most of you view it.

Thanks in advance.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
For me, it's simple....

If I list a BIN for say $200 but know fair market and recent historic dats shows it's value is near $150, I may set an auto decline at $125 and consider the rest. If the first 10 or so offers are/were below $125 then I could care less. It would not sway my thought and understanding of the market, it would just mean there is a lot of interest for the card well below current market value. I would look at it as a sign that it has a lot of interest and hold firm. Having said that, I dont care about BIN history (decline #). I bid what I can, when I can and hope for the best.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I hope declined offers don't dissuade folks. I have my blue lawrie auto up now and i set the auto decline at around the low end of price of the two most recent auctions. I think as of now I have something like 12 declined offers because of that (most were in the 225 range, which is slightly above 50% and well below market). I don't sell a whole lot on ebay and hadn't used auto decline before, and really didn't know they'd show up.

I mean, if it is clear that high amounts of declined offers dissuade folks for making BOs, and spiteful buyers know this, whats to stop them from entering in a series of 1 cent BOs to try to make the listing look bad?

Expired offers tend to dissuade me from offering more than anything, as they suggest that the seller is not prompt in responding, which, for those of us with limited budgets, can put us in difficult positions should we want to buy something else within 48 hours.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
VandyDan said:
I hope declined offers don't dissuade folks. I have my blue lawrie auto up now and i set the auto decline at around the low end of price of the two most recent auctions. I think as of now I have something like 12 declined offers because of that (most were in the 225 range, which is slightly above 50% and well below market). I don't sell a whole lot on ebay and hadn't used auto decline before, and really didn't know they'd show up.

I mean, if it is clear that high amounts of declined offers dissuade folks for making BOs, and spiteful buyers know this, whats to stop them from entering in a series of 1 cent BOs to try to make the listing look bad?

Expired offers tend to dissuade me from offering more than anything, as they suggest that the seller is not prompt in responding, which, for those of us with limited budgets, can put us in difficult positions should we want to buy something else within 48 hours.

Thats another good point. If there are a large number of declines, how many sellers start the listing over to start fresh?

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A lot of expired offers turn me away faster than a lot of declined offers. I hate when the buyer apparently isn't interested in my offer, yet let's it hang instead of declining and ties my money up for 2 days because he's lazy. It's disprespectful and will keep me away from an auction if I see a history of it

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
A couple of my eBay competitors (hi5ahusker and witt36) normally list their 1/1 BINs at three times what their max bids were (interesting they don't bid against one another though...collusion here?) . So even if they win an auction for $20 its listed at $79.99 in their stores a few weeks later.

Because they list with such high BINs their items normally don't sell at even half their BIN prices, but this doesn't frustrate me however. Its more frustrating that they drive up prices unnecessarily!

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Multiple declined offers have no bearing on whether or not I make an offer on a card/item I want. Soooo many people want something for nothing, they'll make ridiculously low offers on the hope the seller is desperate enough to accept. My first offer is generally right around what I'd like to pay. My second is what I'll pay knowing it's a little more than I'd like. My last offer is the absolute most I'd pay.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Doesn't bother me at all, but it does tell me that I probably won't be getting there with a 50% offer. Other people might've made ridiculous offers. Or the seller is just waiting for something real close to his BIN. Or the seller doesn't understand BO etiquette, or really how it works at all. I once had a seller of a card with about a $50 BIN/BO. I offered something like $35 and he responded with an offer of $49. What does he think my response will be? What goes through the mind of someone like that? I just ended the dance there.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Good thread Dan! For me it doesn't dissuade at all. I figure...we as collectors sending offers already have a "highest" price in mind no matter what and I feel that is what the 3 offer rule is for. Put in your "lower" one, if the seller doesn't like it they will either re-offer or decline, then you get your last two. Personally if I get a decline on the first I will typically submit my highest and if a re-offer I don't think is fair or a decline I will politely back away as my money could be used elsewhere respectably. Now if it was a "for sure needed" kind of card...I would go as far as emailing the seller to see if there is anything we can personally agree on away from the BO.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
VandyDan said:

Great post. As a seller, I've had countless offers that don't make any sense from buyers based on the market. For example, people who.offer less for an orange ref than the last blue sold for. Because of this, I know when its the other way around and I'mthe buyer, a listing with double digit declines likely has 75% or more offers that could be considered lowball offers (usually). And because of this, I don't let it affect my offer at all.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
The number of offers on an item generally really has nothing to do with my offer. I offer what I'm comfortable paying and the rest is up to the seller. It might be psychological, but I don't see why it should have an impact on what you're willing to pay.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
VandyDan said:

Counter-point: Some offers are SO ridiculous, I don't even justify them with a response and there are stupid people who make stupid offers all the time. I'll just ignore them and wait for a decent offer on the stuff I'm selling. For example: Offering me a $1 for a $500 card. Really? And I don't use the auto decline (though perhaps I should!). I won't waste my time logging onto the site just to decline that one offer and I'll often times forget about them entirely, so they may just go on until expired.

Members online

Latest posts