Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need opinions: Thinking of starting a project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
My "Carl" project just seems to large at the moment to continue. I'm not giving up on it, but I think I took on a task that was too large - especially since I'm not actively buying right now.

I was thinking of taking on a smaller task and a new player for the PC: Dave Kingman.

I was a similar player as Kingman in college. I always swung for the fences, although I didn't strike out as much. I like that he only has 286 official cards on Beckett (which includes 1/1's). So the project would be small. Plus he has cards from all the way back in the early 70's. I was thinking of getting anything pre-2000 in PSA 8 to keep cost at a minimum?

What do you guys think?

Also I know there are registries out there that show other people's collections and what they have. Like there are a gazillion Nolan Ryan PSA collectors. Are there any for Dave Kingman? Am I going to have any competition?

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I think it's a GREAT idea to collect some "KONG" items. Even though I wasn't a huge Kingman fan, I always enjoyed watching him play. The game and results could change in an instant.

I'm sure there are others who collect Kingman, but I don't think you'd have much of a problem with what you're looking to do. I know a fellow, Bob Koppel, who collects Dave, but I believe his focus is mainly GU items.

I think it be fun!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
PSA 8's of his 70's stuff is pretty readily available. when you get into the 80s, PSA 8s are tougher to find then 9s and 10s.

i liked him when i was a kid, but for some reason, cant bring myself to collect him. There are a handful of collectors on his registry, with the top guys going with high GPA's on their stuff

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't fully decided yet. I think I need to get more organized with my current PC's before I venture into another project. But if I happen to do start another one, I think this is going to be it.

Members online

Latest posts