Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Topps HTA vs. regular hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Probably going to buy a case of 2013 Topps soon and was wondering which way to go, regular hobby or HTA? I know the HTA has more hits, but they are of the manu-relics most likely, wheras hobby nets you more cards total which is good for sets, inserts, etc. Just curious to see what people think...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
With the possible execption of '12 BDPP, I always recommend the Jumbos.

There are a couple sub-sets exclusive to Hobby regular packs this year, but overall the Jumbos are SO much better. And a better value...

GL with it whichever way you go!

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I ripped a jumbo case on release day. I just had round 1 end tonight... it was all the major hits.. plates, blacks, relics, autos, jerseys and I recooped $300 on my $585 initial investment. I also sold 4 sets already for another $35 after shipping. so right now with 2 more sets and just minor parallels/inserts... Im down $250. Once you factor in fees im sure its closer to $300.

I wouldnt rip another case this year... but Id consider another one in 2014. Its a TON of sorting and a TON of listing just to break even. I didnt hit a single card that sold for over $35. So Im not doing too bad.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I ripped a jumbo case on release day. I just had round 1 end tonight. Once you factor in fees im sure its closer to $300.

I didnt hit a single card that sold for over $35.

I'm no expert, but I think that's just bad luck.

And does that total include your SPs, codes, wrapper send-in packs and Spring Fever redemptions?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I'm no expert, but I think that's just bad luck.

And does that total include your SPs, codes, wrapper send-in packs and Spring Fever redemptions?

It was a horrible case. And that total includes all major hits... SPs and 60 code cards included. I sent in the wrappers so I have 6 packs on the way and I still have the 6 Spring Fever redemptions that Ill turn in next week to get packs. Maybe he will throw me a bone and give me a few extra since I bought the case from him.

Thats why I said I wouldnt rip another case this year... but Id consider another one because I had a horrible case and I still recooped over $335 so far. Just too much sorting to consider another one right now.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the feedback guys... I'm not worried about the sorting as I usually do that while watching games. Which boxes are the camos and pink parallels out of?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys... I'm not worried about the sorting as I usually do that while watching games. Which boxes are the camos and pink parallels out of?

I thought they were in both... but I didnt get a single Camo or Pink in my Jumbo case... so those might be Hobby exclusives.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I thought they were in both... but I didnt get a single Camo or Pink in my Jumbo case... so those might be Hobby exclusives.

They are inserted across all pack types (hobby, HTA jumbo, + all retail packs). They are really tough to pull. I've been fortunate that I've pulled 4 pinks and 2 camos out of retail (which is weird since camos are /99 and pink are /50 but I'm not complaining). Just got $30+ for a Jake Westbrook pink which has to be about the highest price a Jake Westbrook card has ever sold for.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
They are inserted across all pack types (hobby, HTA jumbo, + all retail packs). They are really tough to pull. I've been fortunate that I've pulled 4 pinks and 2 camos out of retail (which is weird since camos are /99 and pink are /50 but I'm not complaining). Just got $30+ for a Jake Westbrook pink which has to be about the highest price a Jake Westbrook card has ever sold for.

Did you pull them from the retail "hanging cereal" box packs?

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Did you pull them from the retail "hanging cereal" box packs?

2 pinks were from the retail jumbo rack packs (36 cards $4.99), 1 was from the hanger packs, and 1 was from a blaster. 2 camos were from a blaster and one was from a regular retail pack (I just remembered that I'd pulled 3 camos, not 2). The odds on the hanger packs are 1:79 for the pinks and 1:40 for the camo.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I bought 1 jumbo box. Got some nice inserts and completed my series I set so I'm done. I would recommend jumbo though, seems to be much more value in them if you can get in at the right price. I could be wrong but I believe you are guaranteed 1 hit in each jumbo to be an auto where hobby is not the same guarantee.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts