Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1990 Donruss Blue/White Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Saw a blue Olerud in the video. Also saw one on eBay a while ago but I can't recall what it sold for.

I've adopted the philosophy that there are plenty of "official" cards for me to chase. I need to draw the line somewhere so printer's test issues, executive golds, and whatever else pops up during the current wave of never-before-known-about production scraps doesn't make the cut.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Saw a blue Olerud in the video. Also saw one on eBay a while ago but I can't recall what it sold for.

I've adopted the philosophy that there are plenty of "official" cards for me to chase. I need to draw the line somewhere so printer's test issues, executive golds, and whatever else pops up during the current wave of never-before-known-about production scraps doesn't make the cut.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

These aren't quite a "current wave of never-before-known-about" issue though, Blue/White tests have been around for quite awhile, there just aren't a lot of them.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
If I had the money, those sheets would never be cut up and would likely never be seen for a long time. That said, I don't, and they'll get cut up in time.

Wish I could find a 1990 Topps sheet with the blackless streak...

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I would say these will go for between $5k and $10k. This is the first time some of these players have been seen on the blue side.

For reference here are some of the singles that sold this past November:

Ozzie Guillen / Nolan Ryan (King of Kings) - $3,250.99
Carmen Castillo / Nolan Ryan (5,000 K's) - $2,949.00
Kevin Hickey / Will Clark (AS) - $1,941.56
Kevin Hickey / Will Clark (AS) - $1,890.77
Dean Palmer / Ryne Sandberg (AS) - $1,376.01
Luis Quinones / Ozzie Smith (AS) - $258.30
Oil Can Boyd / Mark McGwire (AS) - $255.05
Manny Lee / Tony Gwynn (AS) - $255.00
Tony Gwynn (AS) / Manny Lee - $200.01
Dave Justice / Ed Whitson (DK) - $163.00
Dave Justice / Ed Whitson (DK) - $158.06
Oil Can Boyd / Mark McGwire - $157.50
Jim Traber / Bo Jackson (AS) - $141.50
Ed Whitson (DK) / Dave Justice - $137.50
Larry Walker / Jack Morris - $125.88

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
A few players carried those prices , a few thousand but under 5 would be my estimate. As more enter the market I am not sure the prices hold. Clark Aqueous dropped almost $1000 by the time a few hit , that's just my opinion

Ryan

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I forgot to take into account the creases when I made my estimate, but I still think this can hit $5k easily. First time these cards have been seen on the blue side:

Nolan Ryan (5000ks)
Nolan Ryan (King of Kings)
Cal Ripken (AS)
Mike Schmidt (ATG)
Ryne Sandberg (AS)
Kirby Puckett (AS)

I think those will definitely push the value of this. Although with so many potential high $ stars on there, it may break the bank for quite a few people and thus limit the ceiling on this. I'm not sure we'll start seeing a bunch of these pop up like the Aqueous Test. From what Chandy (one of the original finders of these) has told me, he only received a fraction of the B/W Test cards compared to the Aqueous.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah I didn't look at all the creases but depending on what cards that will hurt, I know you mentioned Ripken. It'll be interesting.

Ryan

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
If anyone is curious, here is how I had come up with most of my list previously.

I had obtained these images of some color proof test sheets for the 1990 Donruss set as I hadn't been able to find any images of normal uncut sheets. From the list I already had (from watching auctions and other sales) I was able to label these sheets and fill in the blanks. The images weren't complete however and I had to create my own sheet for 66 of the cards based on the data I had. The recent uncut sheet helped be make a few corrections and verify that all the inverses did in fact exist.

Yes, I'm a nerd...

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I forgot to take into account the creases when I made my estimate, but I still think this can hit $5k easily. First time these cards have been seen on the blue side:

Nolan Ryan (5000ks)
Nolan Ryan (King of Kings)
Cal Ripken (AS)
Mike Schmidt (ATG)
Ryne Sandberg (AS)
Kirby Puckett (AS)

I think those will definitely push the value of this. Although with so many potential high $ stars on there, it may break the bank for quite a few people and thus limit the ceiling on this. I'm not sure we'll start seeing a bunch of these pop up like the Aqueous Test. From what Chandy (one of the original finders of these) has told me, he only received a fraction of the B/W Test cards compared to the Aqueous.

So do you know if this was sold privately?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Why would the owner not drum up interest? Plus now there is a bunch of collectors bantering about the ending prices, value of cut up etc. Marketing 101 and probably increased the sell price a solid percentage or allowed the owner the fleece a buyer in a private sale.

Members online