Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chris Olds is tweeting that Topps hid Glossy 1/1s in the Panels of Ginter Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if these don't have something to do with the code. Maybe the code was supposed to lead to finding these and someone did it beforehand

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So I called some of my customers and told them about this. One of them found a Kemp so if anyone is keeping track, add that one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
If Topps HAD to do something like this, the way to go would be as an unannounced rip box topper.

Once word gets out, how many collectors will be livid that Topps didn't announce this BEFORE everyone threw out their boxes?

Sure, the odds are totally against anyone having it in their box. But, there was a CHANCE it could have been and everyone who trashed the boxes will never know.

And that is just how not to win over customers.

Not sure why this would offend people. It's one thing if they advertised glossy 1/1s in the product breakdown and then failed to mention that those could only be found hiding in the lids. But people didn't buy this product specifically to obtain these cards (prior to this announcement) because they didn't even know these existed. So if anything, these are freebies or promos. Yeah it would be disappointing to think that you might have thrown one of these out, but I see it as more of an "Aw shucks!" kind of thing.

Down the road, I actually see this turning into one of those "asterisk" moments in hobby history. There will be blogs about it, an extra caption in Beckett about it, and BaseballCardPedia will have a checklist along with a paragraph describing what happened and explaining that it's not known which cards "exist" and which ones were discarded except for those cards that have been accounted for in eBay sales and whatnot. Player collectors everywhere will be hearing and repeating rumors about how this player and that player were reportedly seen/sold/traded but they've never actually seen it so they don't know for sure if it actually exists. It's going to be one of those long-term buzzworthy events that's ultimately great for the hobby.

Unless of course Spahn and/or Austin Jackson were discarded...then it just sucks!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure why this would offend people. It's one thing if they advertised glossy 1/1s in the product breakdown and then failed to mention that those could only be found hiding in the lids. But people didn't buy this product specifically to obtain these cards (prior to this announcement) because they didn't even know these existed. So if anything, these are freebies or promos. Yeah it would be disappointing to think that you might have thrown one of these out, but I see it as more of an "Aw shucks!" kind of thing.

Down the road, I actually see this turning into one of those "asterisk" moments in hobby history. There will be blogs about it, an extra caption in Beckett about it, and BaseballCardPedia will have a checklist along with a paragraph describing what happened and explaining that it's not known which cards "exist" and which ones were discarded except for those cards that have been accounted for in eBay sales and whatnot. Player collectors everywhere will be hearing and repeating rumors about how this player and that player were reportedly seen/sold/traded but they've never actually seen it so they don't know for sure if it actually exists. It's going to be one of those long-term buzzworthy events that's ultimately great for the hobby.

Unless of course Spahn and/or Austin Jackson were discarded...then it just sucks!

All Topps had to do at the BARE MINIMUM was to announce this BEFORE the product shipped.

What if Brent didn't cut his boxes? When would Topps have told the hobby?

If ANY other company did this, the XXXX would hit the fan a million times. A nuclear bomb would be ordered for leaf headquarters on fcb while an invasion led by blowout members would head to Panini offices.

But because it's Topps, they get a pass and suddenly it's "innovative" and cool.

It's bad, bad PR stunt by not saying anything before the product shipped.

Here's a much better idea which pisses no one off.

Don't announce it and at the inside bottom of the box, under the packs, randomly pack a black fancy sealed "congratulations" envelope which houses a glossy one of one .

You can't say "oh well it's a bonus so no one can or should be mad"

Well that's bs for sure!
That line only works if collectors know about the potential bonus.

It's like me saying that Topps should do a wrapper redemption for wbc tribute NOW. What about all the collectors who trashed their wrappers over the past five weeks? "Oh but it's a bonus". No it's not.

Rule number one in marketing: DON'T PISS OFF YOUR CUSTOMERS!

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
cobbfront.jpgcobbback.jpg
These are not mini cards and in my opinion don't even look glossy. I got two boxes from Andrew and actually after hearing about this cut into the box tops and found this Alex Cobb. The issue... I cut... should have torn it up because I cut the bottom of the card. All in all it is really cool to have to hunt your box for a maybe extra hit though knowing before hand would have been cool.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
I have a bad habit of saving all the boxes I have opened over the years. There is not a ton of them but they are taking up space in storage. This makes me want to look at previous years Ginter boxes.........JIC. :)

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
This a great idea, and also messes up dishonest breakers who'd weigh boxes trying to guess the ones with better hits.

Any word on the ratio of boxes that have boxtopper cards?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Still won't be good enough for BBC aka doug downer.
He hates the world and hates that Topps didn't call him directly to inform him early!

Well here we go.

I'm sorry if u see Topps through rose colored glasses in a bunny and puppy world of cards.

You obviously have zero idea or clue of anything I posted, been like that for years.

When Topps or any company does something great, I'll say so (Topps base can't be beat).

When Topps or other companies do something stupid or puts out XXXX, I'll say so as well.

Just so happens Topps XXXXs the bed with many baseball products at multiple price points. Something leaf and Panini don't do.

Since I own a store, I see it first hand. I see multiple upon multiple ginter boxes yielding chone figgins like gu.

I see the constant crap come out of over priced boxes like gq, heritage and the like.

I see constant let downs by my customers as they wonder why they spent $70 on a bc box which has one auto yet elite gives out 7-14 low numbered autos for $20 more.

But it's ok my man, keep buying or praising $100 boxes which yield three gu cards, or $70 boxes with one gu. Or $300 Srp boxes of wbc which is the worst product of the last few yrs.

Or maybe you just love bland, "same old same old" products from Topps.

As long as I'm behind the counter doing this for a living, you bet your ass I'll be XXXXXing and praising stuff as I see fit.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I think this was a very cool idea by Topps. Can't wait to see how much the Puig goes for if it ever shows up!

Members online

Latest posts