Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jacoby Ellsbury Signs a 7-Year/$153M Deal With the Yankees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looks like it's done.

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN
The Yankees' deal with Ellsbury is done, pending a physical. I'm told the contract is bigger than Crawford's 7 year/$142M deal.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
..sajfild;afdsafjew;iof ajfkl;djs;af

Oh my goodness. On the outside I don't like it. But I think if Ells can stay healthy that would be a great top two of him and gardner. You could see 120 steals between two players.

There goes Robinson Cano I guess. I bet the Yanks saw all the movement today and figured they needed to push harder and decided Ells is worth it. He will be cheaper than Robbie as well.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
There goes Robinson Cano I guess. I bet the Yanks saw all the movement today and figured they needed to push harder and decided Ells is worth it. He will be cheaper than Robbie as well.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Source: Any deal with Jacoby Ellsbury or an outfielder does not preclude Yankees from re-signing Robinson Cano. Still very much in play.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Source: Any deal with Jacoby Ellsbury or an outfielder does not preclude Yankees from re-signing Robinson Cano. Still very much in play.

Can't imagine they sign Cano though with all that money. Now if they did....

Gardner/Ellsbury/Soriano
McCann/Tex/Cano/Rodriguez/Jeter

Sounds like a damn good offense.

I think that their pitching hinges on Kuroda. If they can get him back for a year I think that Sabathia/Kuroda/Nova/Pineda/Phelps would be okay until they can get Tanaka.

Or maybe this is showing that they don't believe Tanaka will be posted this year.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN
Yankees deal with Ellsbury is seven years and $153 million. That's $12 million more than Crawford's contract.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
:( :(

Damon 2.0

I know, I know I am a BIG homer but I am pissed by this. Any other team and I can live with it but what a joke. Boras and Ellsbury can roll in the money but I'm gonna boo the hell out of him. Don't give a crap about his contributions to 2 WS titles- that will be in the past and I'm gonna let him have it. Saw him in rise through the system in Portland (near my home) and thrive in Boston but this is just a kick in the junk. Hope he hits .230......

This does not make me feel better ;)

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I know, I know I am a BIG homer but I am pissed by this. Any other team and I can live with it but what a joke. Boras and Ellsbury can roll in the money but I'm gonna boo the hell out of him. Don't give a crap about his contributions to 2 WS titles- that will be in the past and I'm gonna let him have it. Saw him in rise through the system in Portland (near my home) and thrive in Boston but this is just a kick in the junk. Hope he hits .230......

Anything that makes Red Sox fans squirm is a plus for the Yanks ;)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
No friggen way....

With that contract I'm not surprised he went to NY but it does show that he and Boras were all about the money. I'm not going to lie I expected him to get 6 years $120, but this is actually a 7 year deal with an 8th year option, which is crazy.

As much as it pains me to say it I wish him the best of luck in pinstripes. Yankee fans, trust me when I say this (as I have watched him since day 1 of him in Boston) that you are going to LOVE having him on the team. Highly doubt there is a better leadoff hitter out there. Ellsbury brings so much to any lineup with his bat, speed, and basestealing abilities. He is a joy to watch. I can definitely see him getting 15-20 HRs in that park, so he will be back to that complete 5 tool player we saw back in 11'.

Looks like Jackie Bradley to man CF in 14', at least he will be on par defensively with Ellsbury...got some big shoes to fill, lol.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA

Scott, he would have been stupid not to accept that offer. I HATE to see him go to the Yanks but that is a LOTTT of money, much more than any other team was willing to spend on him IMO. Who knows if we would have won in 07' and 13' without him....

The silver lining is that we officially get our draft pick for him, now maybe the Yanks can sign Stephen Drew?? lol....

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

I was just thinking of Ellsbury as yet another former Red Sox player headed to the hated Yankees.Is Youkilis still with the Yankees too?

I knew Ellsbury was a good player, but didn't think he was *that* good.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Way too much money and too many years for Ellsbury.
He had one great year in 2011, a few good years and a couple of injury-plagued years.
He's a less-talented version of Grady Sizemore, injuries included.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Way too much money and too many years for Ellsbury.
He had one great year in 2011, a few good years and a couple of injury-plagued years.
He's a less-talented version of Grady Sizemore, injuries included.

20 HR or bust.

Members online

Latest posts