Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone remember these Gregg Jefferies fake proofs from the late 80's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Fernan...1513226887?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3ce3672a87

Hadn't seen one of those in a long time. I do remember these coming around when Jefferies was the hottest damn thing on cardboard, think I saw them at shows and whatnot. There really was a ton of complete garbage back in the those days, wasn't there? All kinds of bad fakes, "proofs", Broders and Broder-type knockoffs, cheesy magazine cards, not really the glory days for cards!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There really was a ton of complete garbage back in the those days, wasn't there? All kinds of bad fakes, "proofs", Broders and Broder-type knockoffs, cheesy magazine cards, not really the glory days for cards!
Those cheesy magazine cards were awesome. And the Broder cards were good for player collectors. Super cheap too.
As for fakes, today is magnitudes worse than the '80s, with all the high-end forgeries, expensive fake patch cards, etc.

Back then, if you bought a fake card for a few bucks, you shrugged it off.
Today, a collector spends $300 for a fake patch card and gets turned off from the hobby forever.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I remember those. Definitely not the glory days! The Broder cards and magazine cards were definitely geared toward the uninformed collector. So anyone who had them and thought they were something special were sad. We felt bad for them, really. Those Same guys are bringing in 1988 Topps into the shop these days asking to sell them to the owner for big bucks. Those proofs were not hard to sell to those same uninformed collectors. If if was on QVC, it must be good!!

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Fernandez-Gregg-Jefferies-Scott-Bailes-SAMPLE-PROMO-PREVIEW-3-lot-/261513226887?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3ce3672a87

Hadn't seen one of those in a long time. I do remember these coming around when Jefferies was the hottest damn thing on cardboard, think I saw them at shows and whatnot. There really was a ton of complete garbage back in the those days, wasn't there? All kinds of bad fakes, "proofs", Broders and Broder-type knockoffs, cheesy magazine cards, not really the glory days for cards!

I love the 80's cards! Lots of great regional and oddball issues! And discs! Who doesn't love discs? It could be argued that there's quite a bit of complete garbage issued these days as well, but now it's issued by major manufacturers. But yeah, the fakes suck :D

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I was at a show late 88 and a dealer had 89 topps before anyone else.

The highlight was the Jefferies card (not this black and white card) and I remember him asking some beyond ridiculous price for the card wax.

And by ridiculous I mean like $20 a card or something like that.

Members online