Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Does anyone have an idea how many of the fakes are out there? Over the years it seems I've seen an equal amount of each version and until last night in the Griffey Thread I hadn't seen an un-numbered version.

centurionrefractors.jpg

I bought it without a back scan. Didn't care enough to follow up with seller. If you're interested in completing the trifecta, let me know.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Can i assume the fakes start with a 0, since there is no actual need for a 3rd digit in a 75 card serial numbered run ?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I almost posted about the Salmons the other day . The Mirror Gold crossed my feed and I saw the rest . Def some nice items available if you collect him at all, and I agree, the prices are good IMO

Ryan

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Can i assume the fakes start with a 0, since there is no actual need for a 3rd digit in a 75 card serial numbered run ?

I have the same logic as you - I believe the 3-digit numbering is suspicious.

Also, regarding the "flat gold foil" vs. "bright foil numbering", I'm not sure how to interpret that, especially since I don't have a 3-digit version to compare against. Can we get a closer inspection report from those that do - athletics07, Fandruw25?

Last edited:

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I have the same logic as you - I believe the 3-digit numbering is suspicious.

Also, regarding the "flat gold foil" vs. "bright foil numbering", I'm not sure how to interpret that, especially since I don't have a 3-digit version to compare against. Can we get a closer inspection report from those that do - athletics07, Fandruw25?

The foil is not flat, I don't have a non-zero to compare to. I have not seen an authenticated/graded non-zero card. Considering that the base Centurion's are /500 I would assume they printed the individual serial numbers under the same sequence of three digits.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
couple of rare 90s i probably won't ever get of my PC players, but Derrek Lee was a big enough player to deem these worthy pickups IMO

97 BOWMAN CHROME GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY REFRACTOR /5
97 DONRUSS SIGNATURE CENTURY MARKS AUTO /100

dlbcan5_zps9d4978de.jpgdlcau_zps6cf60d5a.jpg

Last edited:

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
thanks athletics. yea i drew the same price line but caved in to $40 shipped. thought it was fair enough and the card is clean so im really happy with it.

Nice! I made a couple offers on that Lee /5, just for the sake of it. Can't remember where I drew the line, $35?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[h=3]Mirror Black[/h] This mysterious and very scarce parallel was probably the result of a few test sheets being cut and inserted into packs during Certified's fifth and final press run. The Mirror Blacks give off a bright green reflection when placed in direct light, but are silver with black print when placed away from light. It is not known for sure if Mirror Blacks for all 150 cards exist; however, Beckett Baseball Card Monthly reported in 1997 that at least two Mirror Blacks of Jay Buhner were pulled from packs. Below is a list of known cards.
2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
82 Jay Buhner
83 Greg Maddux
103 Edgar Renteria
121 Dmitri Young
Mark McGwire
Brian Giles
Juan Gonzalez
Andrew Jones

So we can add the Maddux, both Andruws exist, the McGwire Subset Exists (not sure if its the base or that showing on the CL above), the Chipper Jones exits (sold in 1997 for $256. In that listing it mentions the Griffey selling for $10k and the Piazza for $4500, so those were at least noted in there).

So the CL as of now (can anyone add?) is

2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
59 Chipper Jones
82 Jay Buhner (Were there actually 2 pulled?)
103 Edgar Renteria
106 Andruw Jones
109 Brian Giles
121 Dmitri Young
139 Mark McGwire
150 Andruw Jones
Juan Gonzalez (What one?)
And maybe Griffey (What one?) and 26 Piazza ??

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
So we can add the Maddux, both Andruws exist, the McGwire Subset Exists (not sure if its the base or that showing on the CL above), the Chipper Jones exits (sold in 1997 for $256. In that listing it mentions the Griffey selling for $10k and the Piazza for $4500, so those were at least noted in there).

So the CL as of now (can anyone add?) is

2 Mo Vaughn
27 Brady Anderson
59 Chipper Jones
82 Jay Buhner (Were there actually 2 pulled?)
103 Edgar Renteria
106 Andruw Jones
109 Brian Giles
121 Dmitri Young
139 Mark McGwire
150 Andruw Jones
Juan Gonzalez (What one?)
And maybe Griffey (What one?) and 26 Piazza ??

Who has the Juan? Could use a scan to put on the web site.

Members online

Latest posts