Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards you'd never think are valuable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Post some cards you'd never think are valuable.

1980s Baseball Boardwalk without the / between the B's

1986 Donruss Highlights with white letters

2001 topps traded Ed Rogers bat card (haven't checked for years though)

Any of the 1994 Pinnacle museum collection cards which were redemptions

1993 pinnacle Cooperstown promos

DTA

Last edited:

WaxPax

Post some cards you'd never think are valuable.

1980s Baseball Boardwalk without the / between the B's

1986 Donruss Highlights with white letters

2001 topps traded Ed Rogers bat card (haven't checked for years though)

Any of the 1994 Pinnacle museum collection cards which were redemptions

1993 pinnacle Cooperstown promos

DTA

I had no idea there were variations. I have a bunch of these boxed sets from 87 or 88, I got when I went to visit Baseball & Boardwalk In Florida years ago....Looks like I'll be digging through boxes over the weekend

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
Thoughts on what a Griffey would go for?

There was a '98 Instant Win Griffey on Ebay about 3-4 months ago for $599.99. It did not sell at that price. I sold a '97 Ramirez for $125, a '97 Vlad just sold for around $40. My guess on the Griffey would be $400 ish.

Jan 14, 2009
There was a '98 Instant Win Griffey on Ebay about 3-4 months ago for $599.99. It did not sell at that price. I sold a '97 Ramirez for $125, a '97 Vlad just sold for around $40. My guess on the Griffey would be $400 ish.

Interesting, thank you for the info! Haven't been tracking them for a few years now.

Jan 14, 2009
Also add:

2010 Topps UH Gold Corey Patterson
2008 Heritage Chrome Jerry Hairston
Any unmarked promos with little data available i.e.: 1989 Sportflics, 1996 Bowman
2002 UD Premieres Matt Pender cor (gold)
2002 Fleer Platinum Komiyama/Ortega RC
1998 SPX Radiance Redemptions
1995 Topps Own the Game Redemptions
1995 Topps Jason Jacome without Mitsubishi logo on back
1993 Pacific Photo Variations (esp Rob Maurer)
1990-1991 Topps Magazine Jose Canseco Jumbo Offer Inserts (misprinted code & color variations)
1990 Topps Debut 89 X card
1990 Donruss Header Card
1988 Topps Company Store Inserts (Regular, not blank back)
1988 Topps Glossy Offer Card with "cards not included" text on front

1993 Edge Checklists missing 326
1992 Edge withdrawn cards w & w/o X on front
1991 Pacific Football Checklists
1990-91 Hoops Terry Porter without NBA logo on back

More to add later

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't know the story of how the no slash cards were discovered/distributed, but I suspect it was not from retail sets. I got mine on ebay (like most others) and even have a uncut strip of 2 and my guess would be that some sheets were made with the omission, discovered and then "scrapped". Someone may have cut them down to sell like many of the other error cards that mysteriously enter the market with little to no information.

I had no idea there were variations. I have a bunch of these boxed sets from 87 or 88, I got when I went to visit Baseball & Boardwalk In Florida years ago....Looks like I'll be digging through boxes over the weekend

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That 2001 Donruss Ben Sheets card that ended up being a redemption. Back when I collected him, I remember seeing one pop up and go for well over $100, and he's not worth it.

2010 Topps Update Gold SPs are another one, I've had a few that I sold for $30 a pop.

2001 Donruss All Time DK Will Clark, a redemption that never turns up, same story as many redemptions from the early 2000s.

If the 1991 Donruss Bonus Cards Andy Hawkins "Pitcher" actually exists, I bet one would sell for stupid money, more than every other Andy Hawkins combined.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Just how valuable/rare is the corrected Matt Pender with the gold back? I have 2-3 which I received from UD years ago.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I've sold several Matt Pender corrected SILVER refractive foil cards over the years.

I haven't checked this one out in a while but how about the 2010 Elite Manny Machado non auto you got as a bonus if you sent the Jordan Swaggerty auto card (Magic auto) in for replacement?

Here's a Hawkins1485654270891.jpg

DTA

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
No clue, have never seen one come up for sale. The silver back ones almost never come up anymore either.

I recall reading in a Beckett that ud would send you a correct version for every error sent in.

Apparently extremely few did so but I remember buying a lot of errors solely to send them in for corrected versions.

I probably have about 5 corrected silver's left.

DTA

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Like so many errors/variations, this one involves a fairly unpopular player. It is definitely the master set collectors, however few or many there may be for a particular issue, that drive value on this type of thing. I have a number of errors and variations, but have never really gotten into the whole culture of it much. I just can't see paying $100s for common players just because there are only speculated to be a handful or cards existing. The Witt card is a perfect example of blind trust that the market won't spit out a previously unknown and unpredictable 800 count box of new mint examples to water down the pool! It is great that a segment of the hobby really goes after these, but it's not my thing.

A set very few master collect, wildly unpopular and lacking any key rcs. The card is very rare, at this point easily rarer than a 1990 UD Mike Witt but so few people care to own it. $22 is a steal.

Jan 14, 2009
Like so many errors/variations, this one involves a fairly unpopular player. It is definitely the master set collectors, however few or many there may be for a particular issue, that drive value on this type of thing. I have a number of errors and variations, but have never really gotten into the whole culture of it much. I just can't see paying $100s for common players just because there are only speculated to be a handful or cards existing. The Witt card is a perfect example of blind trust that the market won't spit out a previously unknown and unpredictable 800 count box of new mint examples to water down the pool! It is great that a segment of the hobby really goes after these, but it's not my thing.

I definitely understand that. My own Variations collections is tiny now. But the fun is mostly in the discovery and research of them. Very few people are spending much on them these days, especially uncatalogued ones, so if I uncover something rare and can't get a decent price I'll happily hang onto it, I could never let a card like the Andy Hawkins go for $22.