Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Alta Loma Cigar Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ernest1919

Dec 11, 2014
No further information available to post on this web site.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can understand putting in a lot of effort to document something that was otherwise not available to the masses.

I spent a considerable amount of time making my own checklist, with variations, for the Sports Heroes, Feats & Facts set. Another member here has done the same and does share his data freely. However, although I was not going to just dump the info onto a site for everyone to grab, I did get help from people along the way and would certainly have no issue helping others if they needed info on the set. I also did this with the baseball digest crossword puzzles that have drawings of players in the center too, at a great personal expense to myself by buying up all the issues. They only did those for a specific period of time and then stopped. I later found someone with a full checklist online, so often even if you do the work on your own, you may not be the first or only one with that info.

The biggest difference I see, and people do still collect sets like these, this is a fantasy issue made by someone. There is no proof I have ever seen that it is anything but a more advanced broder set and was not officially issued the way most collectibles are (sold in sets or packs retail, inserted in or on a product one buys or sold/given away by a team or company with purchase (like a stadium give away, when you buy a ticket to the game).

ANYONE with the right computer set up and skill can make up a set, print as many cards as they want and sell them online. That is your Alto Loma set, I am 99% sure of it. I think I commented on the original thread too, and would doubt that the cards were even made in that year (95), since nobody talked about them until years later. Lots of custom card makers are making things and dating them as if to appear old. Helmar, Banty, Monarch Corona, the thick die cut cards with coins inserted and puzzles (forgot the name), those little smaller than stamp strip cards (forgot that name too), etc. In fact, I think the Monarch Corona cards may have been made by the same person who made the Alto Loma cards.

I have the checklist for the 500 card set. It took me many years to put it all together. Will I share it with anyone certainly not. I am going to copy right the protection of this checklist until I am ready to disclose it at my time and convenience. Sorry about that Mr. Doerrcollector and to everyone else on this excellent forum that you read and enjoy. Thank you

Last edited:

Ernest1919

Dec 11, 2014
No further information available to post on this web site.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Found the coin card I was talking about, but can't remember enough detail to find the strip cards. They were small, about half the size of a stamp. made to look like old time strip cards, perforated. Came in single row strips, sheets and even singles. They are modern, but made to look like old time item. Players were drawings, not photos. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.17.03 PM.png

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I need no attention at all with respect to this checklist on these 1995 Alta Loma Cigar cards. Everyone on this forum always said they needed or wanted one. Well I have it. I'm not trying to brag or pat myself on the back. I went for it for all these passed years and finally I succeed. I'm not the type that gives up. When I see something I go after it no matter how long it takes. This is why some people are successful and others are failures. They did not stay focused on what they truly wanted to accomplish in sportscards or even more importantly every day life.

Well, all righty then.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah - was Robbie Alomar in that set? I'm asking for myself. I just can't wait to pick up more fraudulently marketed homemade customs! They'll go great alongside my treasured Zeenut, Pesque Hueso, Leyendas, Millhouse Tobacco, and Spot the Winner collections. I'm saying it in BOLD because I really mean it. :)

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I think some rare unique finds from this magically checklisted set are suddenly going to make it into the hobby.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah - was Robbie Alomar in that set? I'm asking for myself. I just can't wait to pick up more fraudulently marketed homemade customs! They'll go great alongside my treasured Zeenut, Pesque Hueso, Leyendas, Millhouse Tobacco, and Spot the Winner collections. I'm saying it in BOLD because I really mean it. :)

Millhouse! I remember those....I actually have some of those and was buying several before I realized that the more I bought, the more they pumped out!

In the end, I was getting #'d to /3 tobacco cards for cheap and finally just said, F this and stopped buying them. They stopped making any Garvey versions not too long after that!

Millhouse was just a basic card, not bad, but not good either, just middle of the road. There is one seller active on ebay from TN now and selling a lot, at a buck each and they go up from there, and they are absolute garbage. The image looks crisp and colorful, but the real cards look like a cheap fake with the ink drying up! They were getting $15-30 for some, now most sell for $1.

One of the best custom cards out there today, at least those I have actually seen and held in hand, are Banty Red. Those are quality. He gets good money for a lot of them too. I couldn't say if this is a winning venture or if he just does it for fun, but I suspect he is making good enough money to continue the fun either way.

Here is one that looks OK, but is the guy who is selling the Alto Loma's. I refuse to buy this card mainly on principle, but also because it does not look good enough to be $7 (plus s/h). I'd buy one for a couple bucks at most. And these damn sure were not made or available in 2009. These are new, made to look like they were made in 2009, but why bother. Why not date them in the mid 60s, since that is when Garvey was at Michigan? The date on the back is meaningless.

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Members online

Latest posts