Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Obscure player collections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I've been collecting Aaron Kurcz (a 10 yr minor league vet who retired this off season).

I've gotten to know him a bit and actually connected via music stuff I do for my job before I knew he was a pro ballplayer.

Down to needing 5 1/1 and 1 other card /25.

Are you collecting any obscure players?

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
I collect Jeff Reed collected him my whole like. He lives in my hometown and married a friend of my mom's. He won a world series with the reds in 1990 and caught Tom browning no hitter. Got lots of game used jerseys and bats!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I have a Nick Gorneault collection, he was primarily an Angels minor leaguer who had a cup of coffee in the show. I met him doing an internship in college at the facility the trained at in the winter. He was a cool, down to earth guy. Other than 1/1s I'm probably missing only a handful of his cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I've been collecting Aaron Kurcz (a 10 yr minor league vet who retired this off season).

I've gotten to know him a bit and actually connected via music stuff I do for my job before I knew he was a pro ballplayer.

Down to needing 5 1/1 and 1 other card /25.

Are you collecting any obscure players?

Just to clarify, this is not aimed at you or meant in a negative way. It is a general statement and your example is a perfect one to illustrate it.

I have to laugh at the absurdity of new cards and the relationship to your comment that this player is obscure. By definition he certainly is. However, the part I found funny is that he has AT LEAST (5) 1/1 cards, probably more since you said you were down to needing those. In my mind, an obscure player collection used to be something like a Jon Matlack or similar player. There was a Matlack collector online (spiff, I think was his user ID) who had nearly all 100 some odd cards. That may sound like a lot, but also consider Matlack had a dozen year career too and played from 1971-83. He was not quite good enough to really get into a lot of the odd 70s or 80s sets (although he was ROY, a 3X AS and an AS MVP), so what could have been a much larger selection was kept at bay by his journeyman status. I loved that someone was passionate about a guy like that. I don't recall if Matlack had any 1/1 cards now.

I don't go crazy and I am not sure he has enough cards to qualify for a "collection", but I have tried to grab as many different Kevin Pasley cards as I could. He has a few minor league issues, 2 Topps MLB cards and then maybe a few oddballs, mostly related to his 1977 Topps RC He has an oddball metal card of his rookie card, only because he shares that with Dale Murphy. I think there was also some sort of metal card made of Beckett covers that he is featured on, once again because that card graced the cover of Beckett in the earliest days. That is probably about as obscure as I can get and still consider it a player collection. I thought about doing a Bruce Bochte collection for a time, but realized I only really wanted his Mariners stuff.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
My five most collected baseball players are Todd Van Poppel, Alex Cole, Bobby Jones (the Mets/Padres one), Tom Goodwin, and Xavier Nady...those aren't exactly the most popular players but I wouldn't consider them "obscure" because they all had somewhat lengthy careers in the majors. Well also Van Poppel is more "infamous" than "obscure." Probably the most obscure player that I try to get pretty much every card of is former ten-year minor leaguer Adam Morrissey, who never quite made it to the majors. He spent parts of 3 seasons on the A's AA team in Midland while I was living near El Paso and going to lots of El Paso/Midland games to get A's prospect autographs. I traded a major autograph hound some cards for a Morrissey GU bat he had, and surprisingly they let me take it into the stadium to get signed.

morrissey03dchampholonat.jpg
morrissey03dchampholonatb.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've been collecting Hensley Meulens since 1989. Missing four cards that I know of, one of those Leaf cut autos /4, his only pack-issued auto card from Japan /34, a team issued card that was only given away at Giants signing events and a back-doored 1990 Upper Deck 25th anniversary buyback. I've also got at least one bat, a few jerseys and a autographed copy of his canvas tribute thing from a few years ago when he was inducted into the International League Hall of Fame. Now that he's with the Mets, I'm hoping for some manner of team-issued card to continue the collection.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
If anyone is curious about obscure items or variations for these players, just post your interest and I'll list them (it won't have most of the regular issue). I was curious about Bochte and it seems like he was in some interesting sets.

TeamPLAYERYearDESCRIPTION
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978MSA Tastee Freez Disc #25
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978RC Cola Iron On #NNO
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978Sports Photo Association Numbered Button #147 (no border/signature/3 inches)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1980Topps Superstar 5x7 Photos #55
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981All-Star Program Insert
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Drakes #25
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981FBI Foods Disc
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Fleer Star Sticker #08 (dark blue variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Fleer Star Sticker #08 (light blue variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Kelloggs #62
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981MSA Peter Pan Mini Disc (blank back)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off #NNO (scratched off variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off #NNO (unscratched variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Jim Rice/Bruce Bochte/Steve Stone)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Joe Charboneau/Bruce Bochte/Dave Stapleton)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Joe Charboneau/Bruce Bochte/Frank White)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Steve Kemp/Bruce Bochte/Dave Stapleton)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982All-Star Program Insert
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982Fleer Stamp #222
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982MSA On Deck Cookie Disc
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982OPC Sticker #232
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982Topps Sticker #232
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Stamp
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Stamp Panel of 4 (Joaquin Andujar/Graig Nettles/Don Baylor/Bruce Bochte)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Sticker #185
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Sticker Panel (Woodie Fryman #258/Bruce Bochte #158)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983OPC #28
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983OPC Sticker #111
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Topps Sticker #111
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Topps Test Sticker Strip (George Brett/Jerry Mumphrey/Bruce Bochte/Ted Simmons/LaMarr Hoyt)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Fleer Star Sticker Panel of 4 (B.Bochte/D.Carman/Canseco/V.Hayes)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986OPC Dealer Panel (Bob Clark/Dale Berra/Keith Moreland/Dave Collins/ Bruce Bochte/Rob Picciolo/Julio Cruz/Mark Brouhard)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Topps Tattoo
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Topps Tattoo Panel (Sammy Khalifa/Bruce Bochte)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987OPC Sticker #169 (Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987Topps Sticker #169 (blue print on back/Made in Italy)-(Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987Topps Sticker #169 Hard Back/Test Issue (blue print on back/ No "Made in Italy")-(Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
As a spinoff to my David Justice collection I started a small PC of Drew Denson (d. 2014) who was from the same city, one year older, and drafted one year earlier by the Atlanta Braves. Denson only played in 16 MLB games and I'm lucky enough to own one of very few of his game-used bats, and it's signed.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I collect Jeff Frye and have since we became friends at a card show signing back in 1991 when he was still in AA. I'm only missing 9 cards and team issues (21 if you include plates from '97 Pinnacle and '98 Stadium Club) from his career but I'm always looking for oddball stuff, jerseys, etc.

He's had something of a visibility blow up lately though because of his crusade on Twitter against a certain hitting coach and the Travel Ball Structure as a whole. That's good for me because stuff is popping up up on eBay that I haven't ever seen but bad for me because people who only know him from Twitter are paying crazy prices (not so much really expensive, just 4-5 times normal) for his stuff. This new market is nuts thanks to hype/infamy swings.

Last edited:

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I collect Jeff Frye and have since we became friends at a card show signing back in 1991 when he was still in AA. I'm only missing 9 cards and team issues (21 if you include plates from '97 Pinnacle and '98 Stadium Club) from his career but I'm always looking for oddball stuff, jerseys, etc.

He's had something of a visibility blow up lately though because of his crusade on Twitter against a certain hitting coach and the Travel Ball Structure as a whole. That's good for me because stuff is popping up up on eBay that I haven't ever seen but bad for me because people who only know him from Twitter are paying crazy prices (not so much really expensive, just 4-5 times normal) for his stuff. This new market is nuts thanks to hype/infamy swings.

That's wild!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've been collecting every major and minor league player named Jeremy for the last several years now, and there are dozens and dozens of short-career minor league washouts. But as far as obscure goes, it's hard to beat some of the guys who played independent ball; there are a couple who don't even have entries on Baseball Reference because stats were never properly tabulated.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
My main player collection is Amos Otis. I wouldn't consider him an obscure player at least in the KC area. I mainly missing oddball stuff like team issued from the Mets (1969), Royals (1970-83) & Padres (Coach 1988-90).

Post your needs list. Who knows who might have something stashed away and can help each other out.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
My five most collected baseball players are Todd Van Poppel, Alex Cole, Bobby Jones (the Mets/Padres one), Tom Goodwin, and Xavier Nady...those aren't exactly the most popular players but I wouldn't consider them "obscure" because they all had somewhat lengthy careers in the majors. Well also Van Poppel is more "infamous" than "obscure." Probably the most obscure player that I try to get pretty much every card of is former ten-year minor leaguer Adam Morrissey, who never quite made it to the majors. He spent parts of 3 seasons on the A's AA team in Midland while I was living near El Paso and going to lots of El Paso/Midland games to get A's prospect autographs. I traded a major autograph hound some cards for a Morrissey GU bat he had, and surprisingly they let me take it into the stadium to get signed.

morrissey03dchampholonat.jpg
morrissey03dchampholonatb.jpg
MY son's name is Trent so i have a large collection of Dilfer / Green and a couple other Trents .

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If anyone is curious about obscure items or variations for these players, just post your interest and I'll list them (it won't have most of the regular issue). I was curious about Bochte and it seems like he was in some interesting sets.

TeamPLAYERYearDESCRIPTION
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978MSA Tastee Freez Disc #25
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978RC Cola Iron On #NNO
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1978Sports Photo Association Numbered Button #147 (no border/signature/3 inches)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1980Topps Superstar 5x7 Photos #55
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981All-Star Program Insert
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Drakes #25
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981FBI Foods Disc
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Fleer Star Sticker #08 (dark blue variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Fleer Star Sticker #08 (light blue variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Kelloggs #62
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981MSA Peter Pan Mini Disc (blank back)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off #NNO (scratched off variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off #NNO (unscratched variation)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Jim Rice/Bruce Bochte/Steve Stone)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Joe Charboneau/Bruce Bochte/Dave Stapleton)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Joe Charboneau/Bruce Bochte/Frank White)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1981Topps Scratch-Off Panel of 3 (Steve Kemp/Bruce Bochte/Dave Stapleton)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982All-Star Program Insert
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982Fleer Stamp #222
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982MSA On Deck Cookie Disc
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982OPC Sticker #232
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1982Topps Sticker #232
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Stamp
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Stamp Panel of 4 (Joaquin Andujar/Graig Nettles/Don Baylor/Bruce Bochte)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Sticker #185
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Fleer Sticker Panel (Woodie Fryman #258/Bruce Bochte #158)
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983OPC #28
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983OPC Sticker #111
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Topps Sticker #111
MARINERSBOCHTE, BRUCE1983Topps Test Sticker Strip (George Brett/Jerry Mumphrey/Bruce Bochte/Ted Simmons/LaMarr Hoyt)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Fleer Star Sticker Panel of 4 (B.Bochte/D.Carman/Canseco/V.Hayes)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986OPC Dealer Panel (Bob Clark/Dale Berra/Keith Moreland/Dave Collins/ Bruce Bochte/Rob Picciolo/Julio Cruz/Mark Brouhard)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Topps Tattoo
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1986Topps Tattoo Panel (Sammy Khalifa/Bruce Bochte)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987OPC Sticker #169 (Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987Topps Sticker #169 (blue print on back/Made in Italy)-(Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)
OAKLANDBOCHTE, BRUCE1987Topps Sticker #169 Hard Back/Test Issue (blue print on back/ No "Made in Italy")-(Bruce Bochte/Andy Allanson)

HA! The FBI disc and the RC Cola iron-on/transfer are enough to dissuade anyone from collecting him if they want it all! I have both for Garvey, but have seen VERY FEW other copies of either offered any other time. Believe it or not, the RC Cola is the scarcer of the two from my perspective, having only seen 1 other that I ever recall and that just sold as a team strip for big $$$ about a month back. I have had mine for years now.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I have a pretty good Brian Dinkelman collection. Twins prospect only had cards in 2008 Bowman Chrome. I have the Super, only need a Red #/5 for the rainbow. I even have a couple printing plates. All his other cards are minor league cards as a player and now as a manager for the Cedar Rapids Kernals. I think someday he'll make it back to the majors as a coach/manager down the line. He's from my hometown of Centralia, IL like my other PC focus, Gary Gaetti.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts