Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett Art of the Game Magazine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Honored and humbled to have my baseball artwork spotlighted in the current issue of Beckett’s “Art of The Game” magazine. The issue has an amazing collection of sports artists to enjoy. Our ultra talented friend, Mr. Tim Carroll also makes a special appearance in the issue. The issue also includes the art of Topps Project 2020, the history of art and sports cards, and highlights many talented sports artists. You can find a copy at book/magazine stores and online. Thanks, Brent Naughton

Attachments

• Spotlight_2_LR.jpg
    Spotlight_2_LR.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Spotlight_1_LR.jpg
    Spotlight_1_LR.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 9

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Very nice Brent! Congratulations to you and Tim!!
I will definitely be looking to pick up a copy. Who knows maybe I'll try to send it to both of you to have you autograph it! 😀👍

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Very nice. That is good work. Congratulations.

So I have to ask - how exactly do you decide which image of a given player to turn into your artwork?

If it was me doing the artwork, I would select an image that A) looks good to my eye, and B) captures my impression of that player. But then, that selection would be entirely subject to my thinking. Very me-centric. So I'm curious about your thought process when selecting a certain shot of a certain player.

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH

So I have to ask - how exactly do you decide which image of a given player to turn into your artwork?

If it was me doing the artwork, I would select an image that A) looks good to my eye, and B) captures my impression of that player. But then, that selection would be entirely subject to my thinking. Very me-centric. So I'm curious about your thought process when selecting a certain shot of a certain player.

Thank you! Yes, sounds about right. I also create a lot of commissions for collectors, so those folks that have hired me & will have their insight or suggestions for consideration. We love trying to capture an image of an athlete that immediately reads as that player. It may sound strange y I see many photos of athletes that do not really look like the player aside from the uniform. Often, I select images of the athletes as a younger player to work as fans seem to tend to think of the athlete earlier in their careers. A young looking Mantle is timeless. We also consider 3/4 views or images that will stop the viewer. I also like to invest time in the eyes of my subjects and sometimes the eyes will really add to a piece. More things to keep in mind, but that gives you some of my thinking as I search for images to celebrate athletes. Thanks for asking, I appreciate your interest! -Brent

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I am currently creating a ton of 5x7’s for this year’s National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago. We will have 1/1 sketch card artwork from the size of baseball cards, up to 18x20 artwork available for purchase. Baseball is our main focus but we will also offer artwork from other sports and historical icons as well. Should be a cool challenge for 2021. It is only January, but I think we are off to a great start. Hope to see a few folks at the National this summer!

Attachments

• National_5x7_Instagram_LR.jpg
    National_5x7_Instagram_LR.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 3
  • National_2.jpg
    National_2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3
  • National_3.jpg
    National_3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0

Members online