Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

February - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Starting off the month with a couple of cheap ones:

020121.jpg
The Lucroy is a color swap variation, Canseco is a Living Set card that I bought on eBay because I missed it when Topps was selling it direct.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1. 2000 Fleer Mystique Masterpiece /1 -- One of those forgotten sets. Not a steal, but I paid for this today what a box of Mystique would have cost in August 2020. That is how I justified the price to myself.

PXL_20210130_155722255.jpgPXL_20210130_155731686.jpg

2. 2018 Topps Bernie Williams Breathless Blowout Promo - I am more excited about this than the O'Neill. These are my favorite kind of finds. A limited promotional card from the Minor League All Star Game in Trenton. I collect these types of base design variations/oddballs each year as an extension of the Yankees Topps flagship team set. I became aware this Bernie when I saw this article back in 2018: https://www.beckett.com/news/2018-topps-bernie-williams-breathless-blowout/.

Limited to 2000 unnumbered copies. Aside from a crazy BIN from a seller who hasn't budged, I've have only seen two sell at auction in 2+ years. First one went close to $100, then a pair sold for ~$70 for which I was a second bidder. The owner must have bought the pair and relisted the second one at $60 to recoup their money just a few weeks back. As much as I wanted it, I felt $60-70 was a steep price to pay. At one point, I even called the 800 number for Boerhinger Ingelheim to see if they had extras.

I couldn't hit the BIN fast enough on this. It was about $40, but came with an autograph!! Not only that, the seller included the programs and other promotional material from the event which was a nice surprise. Neat card in support of a good cause, I've actually had a neighbor pass away from IPF so it means even more. This will be the Bernie autograph in my collection. Until now, I had a chrome one which I wasn't too happy with.

PXL_20210130_155738381.jpgPXL_20210130_155748020.jpg

3. 2011 Topps (Opening Day) Christian Lopez SP
I don't collect Opening Day cards, but this one was branded as a flagship Topps card. Otherwise I would be all over this. The Lopez was either SP or SSP, haven't seen many of these over the years. https://www.beckett.com/news/derek-jeters-3000th-hit-fan-gets-his-own-topps-card/. Another article, I promise they aren't paying me to post these links.

. s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
2. 2018 Topps Bernie Williams Breathless Blowout Promo - I am more excited about this than the O'Neill. These are my favorite kind of finds. A limited promotional card from the Minor League All Star Game in Trenton. I collect these types of base design variations/oddballs each year as an extension of the Yankees Topps flagship team set. I became aware this Bernie when I saw this article back in 2018: https://www.beckett.com/news/2018-topps-bernie-williams-breathless-blowout/.

Limited to 2000 unnumbered copies. Aside from a crazy BIN from a seller who hasn't budged, I've have only seen two sell at auction in 2+ years. First one went close to $100, then a pair sold for ~$70 for which I was a second bidder. The owner must have bought the pair and relisted the second one at $60 to recoup their money just a few weeks back. As much as I wanted it, I felt $60-70 was a steep price to pay. At one point, I even called the 800 number for Boerhinger Ingelheim to see if they had extras.

I couldn't hit the BIN fast enough on this. It was about $40, but came with an autograph!! Not only that, the seller included the programs and other promotional material from the event which was a nice surprise. Neat card in support of a good cause, I've actually had a neighbor pass away from IPF so it means even more. This will be the Bernie autograph in my collection. Until now, I had a chrome one which I wasn't too happy with.

View attachment 120890View attachment 120889

This is so cool. I love me some Bernie. I’ve never seen that auto or any post about it. It looks so fresh on the 2018 Topps design. Nice find.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
This is so cool. I love me some Bernie. I’ve never seen that auto or any post about it. It looks so fresh on the 2018 Topps design. Nice find.

Thanks! I was happy to find an unsigned version, the auto was an added bonus. It was not released as an autograph, but was signed at the game during his appearance at the game. Bernie is one of my favorite Yankees of all time, I am actually thinking of getting this all framed for my office since I have all these items along with the card.

PXL_20210202_201453107.jpgPXL_20210202_201634482.jpg

A certified autograph would have been cooler. I'm hoping Topps does this sort of thing for their 70th Anniversary as SGAs in 2021.
There was a promotion at Wrigley in 2001 for their 50th Anniversary which has been highly collected. (LINK)

Each year there have promotional oddballs from Topps each year for private events and as promotions. Some, like Utz, RBI Baseball, London Series have identical designs to the base set except for their respective logos. Others like this, Torre Safe at Home, New Era, and some of factory set exclusives sets have distinct photographs as well as retired players like Torre.

s-l200.jpg
s-l200.jpg

Unfortunately, the hunt still continues! Like the Torre, there is also newer version, given out during a charity softball game. I could only find one image posted on social media posted by the man himself.

66280897_2388856217860815_8606551906367569920_o.jpg66054088_2388856237860813_1361363620465737728_o.jpg

This is beyond what most Topps collectors would consider as part of their base sets. I would rather add these with the base design rather than another SSP with a picture of Babe Ruth in a Cowboy Hat and Lou Gehrig in a suit.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Some recent PC pickups:

Here's the Matsui Transcendent as promised @WCTYSON

View attachment 120915

Great additions to the PC and I love that Matsui Transcendent. The images of setting up at the plate and the follow through are quintessential Godzilla. I was looking to grab that one but after yours sold I missed the next on auction and the other BIN's were more than I wanted to spend.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
February 3:

020321.jpg
1997 Donruss Gold Press Proof 'Hit List' Mark McGwire. This puts me one card away from both the Silver and Gold Press Proof team sets...in both cases it's the McGwire checklist card.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
February 4:

020421.jpg
I couldn't quite make it through the 2020 card year without Dilfer being in a set...this is a "buyback" 1/1 autograph from 2020 Panini Honors. Except it's not really a buyback, since the original card, 2015 Flawless Inscriptions Gold, is serial numbered/10:

15panflawinscgold.jpg
...and the buyback card is of course missing this serial numbering on the top right. Seems like it was an old replacement card that they dug out of the archives. There are several of these types of cards for him on the 2020 Honors checklist but this is the only one I've spotted so far. Even though they're dumb, I gotta go after them!

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
My first Kyle Lewis pickup arrived. These cards are so nice in hand, and really hard to capture the way they look. I also think I got this at a steal price being $48 :love:

The black matte on chrome is super nice, yet there is still a refractor layer over the top of that as well. This was the best I could do to capture the blue for the parallel, the black matte, the refractor over the black matte (you can see it on the right side) and his name which doesn't pop well unless light is on it.

2020 Topps Chrome Black Kyle Lewis Blue Refractor 46/75:
UpgDdRfl.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
My first Kyle Lewis pickup arrived. These cards are so nice in hand, and really hard to capture the way they look. I also think I got this at a steal price being $48 :love:

The black matte on chrome is super nice, yet there is still a refractor layer over the top of that as well. This was the best I could do to capture the blue for the parallel, the black matte, the refractor over the black matte (you can see it on the right side) and his name which doesn't pop well unless light is on it.

2020 Topps Chrome Black Kyle Lewis Blue Refractor 46/75:
UpgDdRfl.jpg

I can't get over how nice this looks. I bought a Cole autograph for a friend but didn't remove it from the sealed case and was unable to really appreciate the look of these cards. Your photo makes me want to go back and find some cards from this release to add to my personal collection. Nicely done.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
020821.jpg
I already had a Feller Greats of the Game auto but did not previously have a Mark Prior autograph...cool acetate card to put autographs of both of them in my A's collection. I assumed it was sticker autos when I bought it due to the design, but they're actually on-card.

Members online

Latest posts