Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 AL & NL MVP's, CY's and ROY's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
AL MVP - Ohtani
NL MVP - Tatis
AL CY - Cole
NL CY - Burnes
AL ROY - Arozarena
NL ROY - Trevor Rogers

These are my picks and most are very close, just with weeks left in the season. Some will falter and some will surge. Who are your picks?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
AL MVP - Ohtani - I'd vote Guerrero personally but I know Ohtani will end up with it.
NL MVP - Tatis - Harper should but he won't.
AL CY - Cole - Easiest one to call
NL CY - Buehler/Scherzer/Urias Co-CYA - No idea. Burnes has been the best pitcher in baseball but lots of voters still hang on to the W/L of the Dodgers trio and maybe even Wainwright.
AL ROY - Arozarena - My pick was Franco till he got hurt
NL ROY - Jonathan India - I think he has this one sewn up at this point.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
AL MVP - Ohtani - I'd vote Guerrero personally but I know Ohtani will end up with it.
NL MVP - Tatis - Harper should but he won't.
AL CY - Cole - Easiest one to call
NL CY - Buehler/Scherzer/Urias Co-CYA - No idea. Burnes has been the best pitcher in baseball but lots of voters still hang on to the W/L of the Dodgers trio and maybe even Wainwright.
AL ROY - Arozarena - My pick was Franco till he got hurt
NL ROY - Jonathan India - I think he has this one sewn up at this point.

Guerrero has been the best offensive player in the AL but Ohtani's season as a two way player is just too much to overcome even with the second half offensive struggles.

You are right with Harper and I think that vote is going to be a lot closer than most think. Harper may get it.

I thought Cole was an easy pick too but like the post under your's states, don't sleep on Ray. He has been fantastic this season and it could come down to the next couple of starts for the both of them.

Do you give any credence to the Dodgers' trio siphoning votes from each other? Scherzer seems to be getting a lot of attention ATM, especially with passing 3K career strikeouts just last start. I've always loved watching Wainwright go about his business and deserves some love but this season in the NL is just too deep.

I'm with you on Franco, he was catching up quick. Arozarena was my default pick but A. Garcia and L. Garcia should get some votes.

India has been fantastic too and he will likely win but I have a soft spot for T. Rogers and would like to see him finish, this personally difficult season, strong.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Guerrero has been the best offensive player in the AL but Ohtani's season as a two way player is just too much to overcome even with the second half offensive struggles.

You are right with Harper and I think that vote is going to be a lot closer than most think. Harper may get it.

I thought Cole was an easy pick too but like the post under your's states, don't sleep on Ray. He has been fantastic this season and it could come down to the next couple of starts for the both of them.

Do you give any credence to the Dodgers' trio siphoning votes from each other? Scherzer seems to be getting a lot of attention ATM, especially with passing 3K career strikeouts just last start. I've always loved watching Wainwright go about his business and deserves some love but this season in the NL is just too deep.

I'm with you on Franco, he was catching up quick. Arozarena was my default pick but A. Garcia and L. Garcia should get some votes.

India has been fantastic too and he will likely win but I have a soft spot for T. Rogers and would like to see him finish, this personally difficult season, strong.

If Guerrero wins the Triple Crown and he still could then he should win it easily. Ohtani is 9-2 in 21 starts. He's barely averaged 5 innings a start. He doesn't have enough innings pitched to qualify for any of the pitching titles and would be top 10 only in ERA (10th) if he did. He's outside the top 20 in everything else. There are literally swingmen relievers/spot starters who have more innings pitched. It also is sounding more and more like he'll miss the rest of the year. He's at 7.3 fWAR combined hitting and pitching right now. Guerrero is at 6.5 before tonight's 1/3 with a HR which seems to be every game for him. It wouldn't surprise me to see Guerrero's offensive season alone match or pass Ohtani's combined value.

I agree Harper will get a lot of votes. If he keeps going with this hot streak and the Padres look like they're out of the playoff running Harper may well get it, especially if it looks like they're going to catch the Braves for the NL East crown. He actually leads Tatis in fWAR right now 6.2 to 5.9.

Ray has been great, albeit with very lucky numbers. It's hard to strand 90+% of baserunners while also having a 15+% HR per FB rate. He's not really close to Cole in anything but strikeouts though and that's only because of the innings difference. Cole leads in fWAR (by almost 1.5 WAR), K/9, BB/9, FIP, Wins, CGs, SHOs, Hits allowed, Walks, you name a metric either new or old school other than Innings pitched and Cole is only 14 innings short while pitching two less starts than Ray due to COVID. You're likely right it comes down to the last few games but Ray needs them to close the gap I think more than Cole needs them to widen it.

I really don't for Cy Young voting. It's certainly a thing with MVP voting since offensive teammates are on the field together at the same time (Semien may well steal some votes from Guerrero this year for instance) but Scherzer and Urias aren't out there helping Buehler on days he pitches and vice versa. I think there's a separation there that voters understand. Honestly it wouldn't shock me for any of the Dodgers three, Burnes or Wainwright to win it. The more "Nails" games Waino pitches down the stretch the more the gap closes I think, no matter what his actual stats are. If he goes out in his last 2-3 starts and throws a complete game shutout or a couple complete game wins it may boost him enough. He doesn't have enough starts left to get to 20 wins but if he's 18-7 or 19-7 (The schedule lines up for him to possibly have 3 starts and pitch against the Brewers the last day of the season if needed to clinch a playoff berth) then that may do it. He's taken on something of a Can't Lose persona right now and apropos or not that kind of thing does tend to sway awards voters. He's carried a Cardinals pitching staff and team that's one of the hottest in baseball right now. Another name that isn't being discussed much is Zach Wheeler. He's the 2nd most valuable pitcher in the NL by fWAR and if he pitches the Phillies into the playoffs he may get a Cy bump like I think Harper could get an MVP bump. You're right that the field is crazy deep.

I'd love to see Rogers win it too. I know he's had a rough, rough year personally and he's still right there at the top of the NL rookie pitching leaderboards in just about everything. If he hadn't missed any time I think he would have won it going away.

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
A lot of these races are so close, that they continue to shift daily. If I was asked today to make my picks, they likely would be different then what I posted in the OP.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
AL MVP: Ohtani (we know why) it's incredible. Vlad could win triple crown and easily take it too but even that's been done in the last 10 years.

Also, when did the mvp become the HR champion award? weird

NL MVP: At this moment Harper
Tatis like Guerrero is surrounded by a great team. he holds an advantage
Soto deserves some votes

AL CY: Robbie Ray
NL CY: Scherzer

AL Roy: No clue, haven't been thrilled by anybody

NL Roy: India

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Id really like to see the MVP be renamed Most Outstanding Player. Valuable to me means tied to winning, I couldn't vote for Ohtani because the Angels are awful and that's not his fault. He's an awesome player, never in my life have I seen someone do what he's done this year. Separately, as a pitcher only he's been ok, a very talented hitter for sure. Both facets need to be taken into account for sure, but I'm not willing to give my vote to him over Guerrero, who is on a very talented team but without him they would not be in the hunt for a wildcard spot.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
One week left of the regular season. Once again some of my picks would be different from just a week ago. Soto looks like he’s offended people were considering anybody else.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
AL MVP - Ohtani
NL MVP - Turner
AL CY - Cole
NL CY - Burnes
AL ROY - Arozarena
NL ROY - Trevor Rogers

Now that the season is over, these are my final picks. The last few weeks really did not provide much clarity just added confusion but I did change one pick, the NL MVP. I switched from Tatis to Trea Turner. He has done it all this season with average, power and speed at a premium position. The totality of it all is just too much to overlook.

Anybody change where they were at or want to share their picks and takes? All of these are so close IMO and if the picks go in another direction, I would not feel that any player was cheated.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
AL MVP - Ohtani
NL MVP - Harper
AL CY - Ray
NL CY - Burnes
AL ROY - Arozarena
NL ROY - India

I feel that ultimately the award winners are correct. I thought a few would go differently but there are none that I see as a player being cheated. I did however think Turner for NL MVP would have gotten more attention. I have some Ohtani, Burnes and Arozarena cards to show but nothing of note to show for Harper, Ray or India. Anybody have some cards of the award winners they would like to show too?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
At one point, I was trying to keep up with a collection that included a signature of every ASG roster member, as well as all the major award winners. Eventually, I had to give up. From the 2021 list, I sadly only have an autograph from Robbie Ray. It used to be a lot easier, but new superstar player autographs are off the charts often before they even become superstars! It's not a game the average collector can keep up with, if he/she is not a millionaire.

Members online

Latest posts