Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Possible game changer for mailing low value card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
If this has been posted before, my apologies.
A fellow collector posted this on Beckett and I thought I would share.
The direct link:

Wed Nov 4 2020 20:41:02
eBay to Launch New 75-Cent Shipping Option
By: Ina Steiner

eBay accidentally published information about a new shipping option it will roll out called eBay Standard Envelope that is suitable for ephemera.

It's a solution sellers have been seeking when shipping lightweight items such as stamps and postcards, though eBay will restrict the categories for which it can be used (it will start with trading cards with a total value of under $20).

At 75 cents, it's more expensive than mailing an item with a First Class 55-cent stamp, but it offers tracking, which is required by eBay in order for sellers to receive certain protections when claims arise.

eBay described the option as "the lower cost way to ship small, lightweight items with tracking included."

"eBay standard envelope is more affordable than using USPS First Class Package Service. Plus, with integrated tracking and shipping protection it’s more secure than shipping with a stamp and can help improve your Seller Ratings."

eBay removed the page describing the new postal option on Wednesday afternoon after sellers inquired about it during the company's weekly chat session. A member of eBay's shipping team said it had inadvertently published that page too early in its excitement to get the refresh of the shipping section in Seller Center live.

"Standard envelope is not quite ready yet," she wrote, "but we'll certainly be letting sellers know when it is! In the meantime, I apologize for my mistake and pull back on that spoiler alert."

The forthcoming eBay Standard Envelope service has quite a few restrictions. Once it rolls out, it will only be available to sellers shipping raw trading cards with a total value under $20, and sellers must purchase postage through eBay Labels. It also has restrictions around weight and envelope size and thickness:

Envelope requirements
- No smaller than 3.5” x 5”
- No larger than 6.125” x 11.5”
- No thicker than .25”
- Weighs up to 3 oz.

Category requirements
- Total trading card value less than $20
- Ship no more than 4 raw trading cards per envelope (or 2 trading cards with top loaders)
- No graded trading cards

Sellers will be able to drop off Standard Envelopes at regular USPS locations.* The eBay employee didn't say when the new option would become available to sellers, nor did she give any indication of a timeline for expanding eligible categories.

It's possible the USPS is planning to make the Standard Envelope option more widely available, though it could be testing it on eBay first. Let us know what you think.

*A USPS spokesperson told us on November 9th, "The eBay Standard Envelope is not a USPS product."

Last edited:

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
My 2 cent!

It is both good and bad.

This will be a great win for buyers who want to save on shipping and sellers who can't ship without tracking for fear of "did not receive" claims.

As a seller, this new option gives the seller protection from bad seller analytics (required uploaded tracking information).

As a buyer, I definitely didn't like buying .99 cards with a $4.20 (East coast to west coast shipping rate) shipping. In fact, I have been proactively emailing sellers on 2020 Prizm cards regarding $4-5 shipping and personally offering $1 for PWE mailing WHILE absolving the seller should the card get lost or damaged and 3/4 have been agreeing to it. In the article, I wouldn't have to absolve the seller even, so its a great program if it launches.

However, I can also see where SELLERS (either newbies who haven't sent many cards in the mail before OR ones who are profit driven and still charge $3-5 shipping) go this NEW METHOD and send jersey cards or thicker base/autos all under the guise that it is under 1/4" thick. But if you have bought or traded cards for any length of time you KNOW anything thicker that a normal LOW END brand base card (think Score and Donruss) WILL get creased by the patch/auto window - a better than 50% chance of happening! Actually anything over 1/8" thick will normally get creased. And if the card meant something to you or is a "rare" PC card - chances are you're gonna have to wait a LONG time to replace it and pray the next seller doesn't do the same AGAIN. Sure ebay will force the hands of the seller for the full refund, but I would rather have the card. In this scenario, you're playing with fire when buying those rare hard to find PC cards.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
having one million inventory of about everything this might help me sell a few more . i always use a couple junk cards and top loader on all sales / padding mailer . disadvantage ---- will get lost being smaller . I had 600 listed on Bay but due to health issue i needed to delete . till i can sell again .

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sending any card w/o some sort of basic bend protection is foolish. A toploader inside a padded mailer or a rigid cardboard mailer is usually good enough, but not always. Cardboard that won't easily crease on either side of the item is great too as an extra means of protection, but that can start to get heavy depending on the size of the card and how thick the cardboard used is. I had one of those custom Banty Red cards in a rigid cardboard mailer and a plastic toploader holder and it was still bent and damaged. I have also had loose cards in plain envelopes somehow survive w/o damage, but that is just begging for a problem if you do this frequently.

This new method is perfect for low cost/low value items and having tracking is great, but I didn't see (unless i missed it), that these will avoid the machines and be hand cancelled. That is the biggest risk of an envelope under 1/4" thick. I have done the same reaching out to sellers to ask for a PWE, where there is a couple dollar card that I am just not willing to pay $4-5 to have shipped. Some sellers work with you, others do not. However, I would say this shouldn't absolve sellers of risk of damage if they don't take care in packaging the card. Loose cards in an envelope is not good enough.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That sounds like a perfect way and some may even appreciate some extra cards too. I get packages like that and usually just toss the extra cards in a box with other commons that are destined to be sold, donated or recycled, but sometimes there are decent free extra cards that I sleeve and save.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i doubt they will be hand cancelled since the postage will be in the form of shipping labels printed from home instead of stamps but i do expect them to be run through sorting machines hence the 1/4 inch limit that is specifically noted as being intended for up to 4 raw cards or 2 cards in top loaders and no slabbed items...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I gotta revive this one and just ask a rhetorical question: When are sellers going to get with the program? Too many people still selling low end singles that want $4-6 shipping!

This was a 2 piece mail day recently for me that illustrates this very clearly. I wish more people would give this a shot. Rising postage is strangling the ability to deal in low end cards, yet here is a perfect solution that people IGNORE! Too bad this isn't an option off ebay.

First package was via the NEW standard trading card option. Cost to the seller was $0.93. I don't recall what I paid for shipping, but it was probably around $1-1.50. The 2nd package was via the old school first class padded envelope. There were two cards in the package and the seller used a couple extra toploaders for protection, but essentially the same package content. This probably cost the seller $3.50-4.00. I probably paid $5!

It's easy to forget when you see that signed card and you manage to score a deal for say $5, that you are going to tack on another $5 to have it shipped and in my case, 10% tax. This $5 Gonsolin now costs me $11. Not as great of a deal when you break it down that way. At least with this case, ithank you seller who offers Standard trading Card shipping, t probably cost me around $7.

If you are an ebay seller of low end cards and have not yet started to offer this or are afraid to try it, why? Risk is low and the potential to grown your business is great. We all hate wasting money of the evil necessity of postage. If only we had shops and shows within reach that had everything we wanted. We don't though.

IMG_2059.jpg

Members online

Latest posts