Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fanatics acquired Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I know I’m in the minority but I think this was a dumb move. Collectors are creatures of habit. Why would they choose Fanatics-branded stuff over Topps-branded stuff if given the choice? They effectively gave their own products a stronger competitor. What happened to building brand loyalty with Fanatics? Wasn’t that the point of them partnering with every league under the sun and driving out all other manufacturers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I know I’m in the minority but I think this was a dumb move. Collectors are creatures of habit. Why would they choose Fanatics-branded stuff over Topps-branded stuff if given the choice? They effectively gave their own products a stronger competitor. What happened to building brand loyalty with Fanatics? Wasn’t that the point of them partnering with every league under the sun and driving out all other manufacturers?

I don’t like any of this, but after obtaining the MLB license it was smart of Fanatics to acquire the Topps brand because honestly who’s going to want to buy Fanatics branded baseball cards? This happening basically means almost nothing will change for the collector other than maybe the Fanatics name on the back of cards, and more ways for the products to be distributed. I personally would’ve never bought a Fanatics MLB card, but I’d still buy Topps cards under the Fanatics umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if part of this was just to buy the Topps name and keep the cards under the Topps logo.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I wouldn't be surprised if part of this was just to buy the Topps name and keep the cards under the Topps logo.
That's exactly what it is. Much cheaper in the long run to just buy the company out than pay licensing every year.

they bought ALL brands rights ???

No. They just bought the exclusive license to produce MLB cards from MLB and the rights to the player's likenesses from MLBPA. The brands are (or were in Topps case) still independent companies. They just don't have licensing rights to MLB logos or player likenesses anymore. Panini also loses their licenses for the NBA (2025) and the NFL (2026) pretty soon. Fanatics will own those licenses after that point too and I expect we'll see Topps Football and Basketball products again at that point.

Last edited:

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
That's exactly what it is. Much cheaper in the long run to just buy the company out than pay licensing every year.

No. They just bought the exclusive license to produce MLB cards from MLB and the rights to the player's likenesses from MLBPA. The brands are (or were in Topps case) still independent companies. They just didn't have licensing rights to MLB logos or player likenesses anymore.
thank you

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
makes perfect sense. everyone wants the Topps brand, Fanatics can use it now however they want, simple acquistion/product strategy. They'll probably keep a lot of Topps people and infrastructure, etc. Little will likely change except direct to retail sales strategy and reduction of dealer discounts and network for greater online retail sales in my opinion. And prices will go UP of course. Thankfully I dont bust wax.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Glad they did this, if 2025 rolled around and all that was out there was Fanatics MLB cards I would have collected way less current stuff. This way I'll be able to keep collecting my favorite sets.

The huge news from this that nobody has mentioned here is that with Fanatics also getting the NFL and NBA licenses in the coming years, this means there will soon be Topps football and basketball cards again.

I wonder if Fanatics will also buy Panini, or will they take the risk of alienating recent NFL and NBA collectors by just producing Topps and Fanatics-branded stuff when those licenses go into effect.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I don’t think they’ll alienate anyone if they bring back Topps Chrome in basketball and football

I’m sure they’ll make a play for Panini. Not sure what the company is worth after losing their licenses, but they were (theoretically) valued around $3b earlier in 2021 when they were in talks to go public. If Topps was valued around $1.3b before and just sold for $500m, so maybe they could pick up Panini for under 1.5b? Who knows

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's really the smart move for both sides. Too much history for the name to just go into limbo or be acquired by another party that maybe would not be licensed, or to carry on without a license themselves. I hope it all goes smoothly and we have a much improved product (redemption issues, quality control issues) but as long as it doesn't crash and burn it'll probably be fine.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don’t think they’ll alienate anyone if they bring back Topps Chrome in basketball and football

I’m sure they’ll make a play for Panini. Not sure what the company is worth after losing their licenses, but they were (theoretically) valued around $3b earlier in 2021 when they were in talks to go public. If Topps was valued around $1.3b before and just sold for $500m, so maybe they could pick up Panini for under 1.5b? Who knows

I don't really see the logic in a play for Panini. Fanatics already has the NBA and NFL licenses exclusively for 20 years when Panini's contracts end (2025 and 2026 for NBA and NFL respectively) so they aren't gaining a ton by buying out Panini too other than a soccer licensure which I'm sure they can outbid Panini on in a couple years. Topps has enough football and basketball heritage to make Topps Flagship, Chrome, and probably Finest or Stadium Club easily relevant again.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I don't really see the logic in a play for Panini. Fanatics already has the NBA and NFL licenses exclusively for 20 years when Panini's contracts end (2025 and 2026 for NBA and NFL respectively) so they aren't gaining a ton by buying out Panini too other than a soccer licensure which I'm sure they can outbid Panini on in a couple years. Topps has enough football and basketball heritage to make Topps Flagship, Chrome, and probably Finest or Stadium Club easily relevant again.
Remember, "soccer" (futbol, football) is way bigger in the world by a LOT than mlb, nfl, NBA. Panini really doesnt "need" the licenses for our mostly USA centric leagues. Theyll do fine selling Ronaldo, Messi, Mbape, Ibramimovich related stuff. We re the ones who think less of Panini, the rest of the planet doesnt.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

Remember, "soccer" (futbol, football) is way bigger in the world by a LOT than mlb, nfl, NBA. Panini really doesnt "need" the licenses for our mostly USA centric leagues. Theyll do fine selling Ronaldo, Messi, Mbape, Ibramimovich related stuff. We re the ones who think less of Panini, the rest of the planet doesnt.
That's true but the only soccer license Panini has is the Premier League license and it expires in a couple years. Topps had several of the others already and Fanatics can outbid Panini for whatever they want license wise.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
That's true but the only soccer license Panini has is the Premier League license and it expires in a couple years. Topps had several of the others already and Fanatics can outbid Panini for whatever they want license wise.
True.. though I am pretty sure they have World Cup in '22. The worldwide product on that has to be a bigger draw than that years mlb, nfl and NBA combined. And EPL probably crushes mlb yearly. Just to be clear, I m not a soccer/futbol fanboy. Mostly boring stuff to me for 85 minutes each match haha.

Members online

Latest posts