Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Back in May I sold a card on Ebay and about three weeks later I received a claim for refund that the card was never received. Any cards I sell under $25 I offer the price of postage for shipping, no tracking. Done many this way with no issues except for this being my one mulligan. I found it curious the buyer never contacted me about not receiving it, went straight to EBay for the refund. Of course, I had no way to track it, so I refunded the money. About once every two weeks on a whim I search for the card and well what do you know, it was there today. It has three days left on the auction and it is being sold by a very large consignment seller.

What do I do? I can care less about the money or even the card. My focus is on finding out who the real seller is but I doubt the consignment house would reveal that. Do I report the situation to Ebay anyways or do I contact the current seller, explain the situation, and see how they respond?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I feel like it's one of those situations that it would be great to know what really happened, but will be almost impossible to actually find out that information. I can't imagine the consignment company would be willing to give out that kind of information and I can't imagine if it was the original buyer, they would be willing to tell the truth. If it was an under $25 card, I would just chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. Definitely is interesting that it popped up after so long though.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
I agree, I would like to know, I reached out to the seller (hoodyscollectibles) and explained the situation and am waiting for a response.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I would reach out to Hoodys and explain as an FYI type thing, just like you did here. Ask no action of them, just that you are giving a heads up on one of their consignor's possible sourcing methods. They are a large seller and likely dont want to be associated with suspect suppliers. Answer may come out later, elsewhere online

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If it is a card that can be confirmed (serial number, card with specific mark/damage), then screenshot the proof and send to Hoody. I can't say I know much about them, but am a fairly frequent buyer of their listings. Maybe they will at least confirm the consigner matches your buyer if you can give them solid proof that same card was "claimed lost" and refunded to said buyer. Sadly, there are dirtbags out there that outright steal. I believe the good far outweigh the bad, but the bad stings hard when they get you, it's hard to accept that at the time.

I am not looking for praise here, but I have one of the good stories to share similar to this, but vastly different result. If only to show that honest people are out there.

I bought a card on ebay. Tracking posted shortly after I paid as if the label was created, but not dropped off yet. It showed PO awaiting receipt. Finally about 2-3 weeks later, the seller refunded me. I was willing to wait a little longer, but they seemed eager to refund. They insisted package had been dropped it off. To be honest, I was not sure I trusted their word. Was thinking maybe they had wanted a bit more and was just going to claim loss.

Another couple weeks go by and the seller messaged me to announce the card was out for delivery. Sure enough, I check and it was. It arrived in the mail that day, the first update since it was showing awaiting receipt. Weird that it never checked in anywhere else along the way! Told the seller to send me PP info and I'd repay. They said they never expected to see the card again and figured even half was fine. My reply was I was not looking for a freebie. the card was only around $25 delivered, but I paid in full. That is how I would want to be treated and that is how I treat others.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Hoody's got back to me and asked to see the evidence of my accusation and "we could go from there". I sent them the original listing and the follow up claim request. The card is serial numbered so there is no getting around the fact it is the same card. It also has a slight imperfection in the upper right corner. I don't expect them to come right out and give me the name of their client but at the very least I would like to know if it originated from my hometown. I use a shipping service close to my house and would like to rule them out.....though my money is still on the original buyer.

1manvs1world

Jul 30, 2023
San Diego
I believe eBay is liable for your loss. They offer “tracking” but they have absolutely no way of actually tracking your envelope. Those ESUS labels are thoroughly unreliable and they are well aware of that. I don’t ship with those labels and receive more than half of them without any tracking information. To be fair, they generally arrive at the destination at some point, but eBay should not be offering a tracking service that is not provided or tracked by the courier.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I believe eBay is liable for your loss. They offer “tracking” but they have absolutely no way of actually tracking your envelope. Those ESUS labels are thoroughly unreliable and they are well aware of that. I don’t ship with those labels and receive more than half of them without any tracking information. To be fair, they generally arrive at the destination at some point, but eBay should not be offering a tracking service that is not provided or tracked by the courier.
I lost a claim for one that showed delivered but was not. It was not worth the fight, as it was a cheap and easily replaceable card.

I have informed delivery now and they scan those envelopes with eBay standard trading card tracking. I was ready to fight eBay on a recent missing envelope, when they declared it delivered, but the informed delivery never even showed that envelope. I want to think I would have had an indisputable case, but then again we are dealing with call center eBay CSAs that can sometimes barely communicate clearly with callers.

Luckily the letter showed up 2 days later.

I would recommend everyone sign up for informed delivery, just to have this little nugget in your back pocket if needed.

1manvs1world

Jul 30, 2023
San Diego
I lost a claim for one that showed delivered but was not. It was not worth the fight, as it was a cheap and easily replaceable card.

I have informed delivery now and they scan those envelopes with eBay standard trading card tracking. I was ready to fight eBay on a recent missing envelope, when they declared it delivered, but the informed delivery never even showed that envelope. I want to think I would have had an indisputable case, but then again we are dealing with call center eBay CSAs that can sometimes barely communicate clearly with callers.

Luckily the letter showed up 2 days later.

I would recommend everyone sign up for informed delivery, just to have this little nugget in your back pocket if needed.
I actually had the same problem, (more than once), and after I explained to them that they had absolutely no evidence of the card being delivered I’ve never had a problem. 😎

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
So, to conclude this story......after sending my claim report and other evidence to Hoody's they decided to completely ignore me and not respond further. The auction went ahead and closed. One interesting item of note is I looked at the Hoody's feedback and they have a negative feedback from a person who stated Hoody's listed a former card of his that a buyer said never arrived and he had to refund the money......two months later Hoody's is selling it. Same scenario as mine.

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
So, to conclude this story......after sending my claim report and other evidence to Hoody's they decided to completely ignore me and not respond further. The auction went ahead and closed. One interesting item of note is I looked at the Hoody's feedback and they have a negative feedback from a person who stated Hoody's listed a former card of his that a buyer said never arrived and he had to refund the money......two months later Hoody's is selling it. Same scenario as mine.

Can you reach out to the user that left that feedback? Maybe the buyer is the same one in both cases…

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

1manvs1world

Jul 30, 2023
San Diego
In other words…
This is not uncommon for this particular seller.
I truly can’t stand wasting my time on the phone with eBay, PayPal, and so on, but if it’s something that is as deplorable as not giving a poop, then I’m compelled to give eBay a call and rip into them for failing to monitor the seller. Especially when they are well aware.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Search for the card they said went missing, find their original listing, contact them from that…unless they didn’t specify

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
It did specify but I am guessing that it was over 90 days old because I could not find it on the advanced search. Unless there is another search engine that I am not aware of?

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
In other words…
This is not uncommon for this particular seller.
I truly can’t stand wasting my time on the phone with eBay, PayPal, and so on, but if it’s something that is as deplorable as not giving a poop, then I’m compelled to give eBay a call and rip into them for failing to monitor the seller. Especially when they are well aware.

The only other thing I can think of is that they are now aware of the situation and are handling it internally or on a go forward basis with no obligation to loop me in....but it would have been good customer service for them to say something to me, even it was just "thank you, we are handling it". Since they did not get back to me I decided to report the card, ebay gives you that option and I have never done it before. You can only report using their specific dropdowns and none of them really applied to my situation but they had one dropdown as "stolen item" so I picked that one. I had to fill out multiple input fields, give an explanation, and then right at the very bottom as you hit the submit button it prompts you with "by hitting submit you certify that you are a law enforcement officer". Lol....nowhere leading up to that very moment did it allude that you had to be one.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
One more update.....hoody's finally got back to me and showed a lot of integrity. A classy move.

New message from: hoodyscollectibles (151,225iconShootRed_25x25.gif)​

Sorry we were unable to get back to this before the auction ended. We worked with the buyer of the card and the consignor to cancel the transaction, but still pay our consignor and get the card back to you. The consignor's name does not match with your records and they got the card in a big lot of other stuff so who knows how it passed hands. Long story short, we will be returning the card to you at no charge, please send us your address and we'll get it sent out to you. All we ask is if you ever decide to not sell cards by yourself and want to use a consignment service, you give us a try first! Thank you.​

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Holy Integrity, Batman! Well played by Hoody's. Makes me wonder if your buyer really DIDNT receive it, and it was intercepted by an enterprising postman who sells lots of stolen cards through Hoody's for cover.....

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One more update.....hoody's finally got back to me and showed a lot of integrity. A classy move.

New message from: hoodyscollectibles (151,225View attachment 352525)​

Sorry we were unable to get back to this before the auction ended. We worked with the buyer of the card and the consignor to cancel the transaction, but still pay our consignor and get the card back to you. The consignor's name does not match with your records and they got the card in a big lot of other stuff so who knows how it passed hands. Long story short, we will be returning the card to you at no charge, please send us your address and we'll get it sent out to you. All we ask is if you ever decide to not sell cards by yourself and want to use a consignment service, you give us a try first! Thank you.​

I have always appreciated my experiences with them. Plus I believe they are fairly close and ship promptly, so I rarely wait very long. Always well packaged. pretty much everything you want in a quality seller. Professional all around. What a great response from them

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Funny, this EXACT situation with Hoodys as the seller cancelling to the buyer showed up in FB groups last night. Buyer was feeling like Hoodys was scamming him by cancelling. Some other random dude made a moderate ******* of himself by incessantly trying to give us all a lesson in caveat emptor principles, it was amusing but ultimately, tiresome.

Members online

Latest posts