Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
Too bad the bat is nothing more than a retail store model bat. The dead giveaway is the single "4" stamped into the knob. If this were a true gamer it would at the very least have a full model number stamped into the knob. The only model Jackie ordered with a 4 in it is the H4 model in 1950, there is no H on that knob. The length and weight are probably off as well and the wood grain appears inferior. Also anyone with some sense would know that to do a proper rubbing, you do it on a sheet of paper, not directly onto the item itself. A plausible story doesn't make an item real, the item itself makes it real or not.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly, the way I see it with collectibles is, it's better that a guy who collects and just keeps and appreciates the items they buy finds a steal, rather than a guy out looking to make money. I have zero problems with people making money and it's their right. But if you are buying items that you personally appreciate and never intend to resell, more power to you. I've gotten some very sweet deals and on some occasions, it was because the seller knew very little about the item. On others, it was because the seller knew I'd enjoy and appreciate the item like others would not. So even if I get a steal, I don't get a steal money wise. I get a steal memory wise. To me, none of this stuff is any more valuable than the memories it inspires or maintains. That's one of the key reasons I collect the basketball player in my sig. You think Stackhouse stuff is worth a mint? Nope! But it takes me back to a time when all I had to do was worry about going to school, not get my ass beat, and enjoy life. Nothing more, nothing less. So it was a pretty nice time and I relish the chance to hold onto those memories. The way I figure it, anybody who can do the same, I'm happy for them. Really.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Too bad the bat is nothing more than a retail store model bat. The dead giveaway is the single "4" stamped into the knob. If this were a true gamer it would at the very least have a full model number stamped into the knob. The only model Jackie ordered with a 4 in it is the H4 model in 1950, there is no H on that knob. The length and weight are probably off as well and the wood grain appears inferior. Also anyone with some sense would know that to do a proper rubbing, you do it on a sheet of paper, not directly onto the item itself. A plausible story doesn't make an item real, the item itself makes it real or not.
Oh snap. Well I hope the family doesn't try to sell it then.
The bat is also so beat to hell that it was obviously played with by kids for many years, so Joe Hatten or someone in the family probably bought Robinson's store model bat for the kids to play with.

Members online

Latest posts