Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA prospect handbook

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I know prospects are an inexact science. I was reading my 2011 book and it had the STL farm system ranked at 24th it said " the cardinals are left with an intriguing group of fireballers led by Shelby Miller and little else"
Their top 30
1 S Miller
3 C Martinez
5 Allen Craig
6 Lance Lynn
10 Joe Kelly
11 Matt Carpenter
12 Daniel Descaso
21 Pete Kozma
24 O Taveras

I just named the main guys, I thought these guys did well for " little else" lol

Anyway my question is, does anyone else look at their old handbooks and see how many BA got wrong?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Always interesting to see, can't believe Taveras was so low! I think what you learn when you follow prospects for awhile is that:
a) it is impossible to predict the future...even the "can't miss" guys can and do miss sometimes
b) sometimes the publications get stuck on certain players and put them high on the list year after year even if performance doesn't justify it, and this leaves less attention for the guys lower on the list who ultimately get overlooked (e.g., how many times did they put Aaron Hicks in the top 25 of baseball even though he has sucked as a professional baseball player)

The point is that even the professional scouts are really only taking educated guesses.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Isn't that the truth. I thought it was interesting at the least. I think in the 2008 the Diamondbacks first five prospects are pretty darn good, too bad they didn't keep them.
1 Cargo- Rockies
2 Parker- A's
3 Anderson- A's
4 Scherzer- Tigers
5 Parra- still have

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts