Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nicest and Rudest Athletes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Haven't had experiences with many but for a middle school field trip in the late 90s to see the Giants play and around that time everyone, except me, we're huge Barry Bonds fans. He was very close to where we were sitting, I don't know how close anymore but let's say 50 or 60 feet or something and all the kids were screaming his name and yelling... He did not even look.

I understand the attention gets old after awhile and at that point, probably annoying.. But he did not have to do much. A head nod? A wave? It would have drove those kids crazy but he totally ignored them all. When you're an idol like he was, I think a certain amount of hospitality is expected.

My mother chaperoned (or whatever, tagged along) that field trip and she has not cared for him ever since haha

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Many of the players we fans worship, can't stand us. For every 1 fan that actually cares, there are 1000's who just want to use them. Not hard to understand why so many don't respond after a while.

A few years back, howie kendrick got upset when neighbors sent their kid over to knock on the door. Howie doesn't seem like a jerk and isn't a mega star, so it must be years of being lied to and used by fans, who in most part, would hate you tomorrow if you demanded a trade.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Many of the players we fans worship, can't stand us. For every 1 fan that actually cares, there are 1000's who just want to use them. Not hard to understand why so many don't respond after a while.

A few years back, howie kendrick got upset when neighbors sent their kid over to knock on the door. Howie doesn't seem like a jerk and isn't a mega star, so it must be years of being lied to and used by fans, who in most part, would hate you tomorrow if you demanded a trade.

Now I can understand them getting tired of the attention. But using them? Really? You can't be sure who is selling autos and who isn't. To punish a few people here and there for it is dumb. Either sign or don't. Funniest part is it seems like a lot more of the scrubs or minor players are the ones who scream and cry about it the loudest.

I am to the point where I do not use autograph signings to determine whether a guy is rude or not. All I can say is if the guy acted rude during the signing. But it's not indicative of the guy as a whole so I can't really say what most are really like. I do know I've seen Bagwell go out of his way to be accommodating. Jim Deshaies is also a pretty cool dude. I enjoyed meeting Kenny Houston (former oiler and NFL HOF'er) as well. Kenny would sit there and talk with you for 20 minutes. Elvin Bethea is the same way. Some guys won't even look at you. Just depends. But it doesn't make them a bad guy. I do think a lot of older players whether it's football or baseball are more talkative and fan friendly because they weren't big headed like a lot of the guys are today. Hell, half of them are just happy to sign autographs for people and some are even happier anyone would even pay money for the privilege.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
If they can't be nice at an autograph signing, where they are getting paid to be there, then I'd say they belong under the rude category. Luckily, at the scholarship fundraiser that I volunteer at yearly, he brings in the nicest guys. Off the top of my head....Paul Blair, Bud Harrelson, Ozzie Virgil, Lee Smith, Lary Sorensen, Steve Braun, Bill Nahorodny, Jim Eisenreich, Joel Bennett, Dickie Noles, Steve Rogers, Gary Lavelle, Bobby Malkmus, Johnny Grubb, Jack Lazorko, Frank Tepedino, Tommy Greene, Ralph Citarella, Jon Warden, Mike Bielecki, Jason Grilli are all great guys.......the only one who was really a jerk was Ottis Anderson, and he wasnt invited back the next year.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I can't say I've met many current athletes who were particularly "rude" to me. Maybe they just put up with me? I don't know.

Nicest would definitely be Jim Thome, followed by Dan Gladden.

I've met Al Newman a couple times and had completely different experiences on both occasions. The first time, he was nice and chatty. The second time, he wouldn't look a person in the eye or acknowledge a "thank you."

Of course, I don't expect many coaches to be "happy" after their team was a strike away from being no-hit in the opposing teams' ballpark, then signing for fans of the opposing team, so I'll chalk that one up as a "bad day"

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Rudest - Reggie Jackson. Had his assistant kick me out of a public men's room so he could have it all to himself.

Nicest - Ted Radcliffe, old ***** Leaguer, was the nicest guy I ever met. Saw him sitting alone in a wheelchair at old Comiskey, sat down next to him and was rewarded with 30 minutues of great stories. Mark Grace has also been a super nice guy the two times I've spent talking to him, and signed a bunch of items for me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Delivered pizza as a teenager in an area where two prominent Chicago Bears lived.

#50 was one of the nicest and most gracious and generous people I ever met. He would order a $12 pizza and tip $10. He and his wife and daughter were all lovely people.

#34 and his entire family were aloof and cheap. They'd get $50-60 worth of food and tip $1... and no matter who answered the door, they'd take the food while handing you the money and close the door in your face.

As far as my collection goes... Dawson was very nice when I met him, complemented me on my hat and asked where I got it from.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Mike Schmidt at a Brooklyn Cyclones game I knew one of the PR guys working this event. I was 20th on the line and seen his people freaking out and him throwing a fit. Found out later he first agreed to sign for 2 hours and was hired, then he agreed to 200 autographs then agreed to sign until his maker went dead on the day of the event while sitting behind the table. He then continued to jam the marker down on to the pictures so the tip would flatten and says after only a few minutes he is done since the marker is done. Which was only "done" because he was jamming it down on purpose so he could collect his $ and bounce.

And oh yeah did I forget to mention he was signing for some Brooklyn childrens charity who paid him a ton of cash to do this?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
One year at the ballpark, i asked Billy Wagner if he could sign my ball, he acknowledged me and said later (he was warming up at the time). Well, the game ended and he disappeared before i could get it.

the following year i did the same, and basically got the same response because he was warming up again. I said he told me that last year. He stopped his stretching and came over to the rail and signed my ball.

I figure that was a nice thing to do, since most players dont sign during the game.

IMG_1532.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Larry LeGrande, former ***** ball player. He lives here in Roanoke and agreed to come to Westside Elementary to talk to the 5th grade classes twice, at my request. He talked about baseball, but mainly about making good choices and getting an education. He brought some cards of himself which he gave to the students.
DANNY

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Everyone, including athletes, have good and bad days.
People read about a bad experience that someone had with a player, and then they all think that athlete is a terrible person, based on that one experience.

For instance, nyc3 had a bad experience with Mike Schmidt.
So people reading it now think Schmidt is a jerk.

I, on the other hand, had an awesome experience with Schmidt during Spring Training.
He signed for tons of people before the game, smiled, talked to everyone and was genuinely pleasant.
So people reading that think Schmidt is a friendly guy.

So my point is, one person's experience does not mean that athlete is always a jerk.
It just means he was a jerk (or nice guy) during that one instance.

MadHandle11

Jan 31, 2011
Spokane, WA
I know he doesn't have many fans anymore but Mark Sanchez was always very gracious with his time when he was at USC.

I met Wayne Gretzky at a MiLB game and he was friendly and even signed the lineup card for me (didn't have any pucks readily available).

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
A few years ago, probably 8 or so, the Twins Caravan traveled all the way to Pierre SD, which is quite a drive from the cities. It was the second time in three or 4 years that they were having the caravan there so I was excited. I was 12 years old or so, and I was just getting into baseball cards for the first time. Tony Oliva was there and he signed my ball glove that I had gotten signed by members of the previous caravan. He was giving me a bad time for the glove broken in. He put it on and was pounding the palm and folding it. While he was doing this, one of the caravan workers there was telling him he had to hurry up the entire time and he told them to wait since he was busy. After that I became a huge Tony O fan

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
Pete Rose is a Tool. I was at his Restaurant in Boca Raton in the early 90s. I was admiring all of the sports memorabilia in the front of the place when in walks Pete. A kid around 8 years old asked Pete to sign his Reds cap. Pete blew him off saying... "I only sign at shows for money". This was at his restaurant, and this family had just paid for dinner! What a *****!

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Nicest: Gabe DeHoyos. Good guy to have small chat with. He wanted to be at the ballpark all the time. I still have the picture I took with him.

Rudest: Arthur Rhodes. Oakland A's was in town for exhibition game and there was autograph signing before the game. Went to his table he said "I had sign all of this?"

Funnest player: Manny Ramirez. He was a hoot. Looks like he truly having fun and acknowledge the fans cheering for him.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Another one I forgot...

Marc Flores (you'll hear his name on draft day). I asked him to sign a card for me. He took my binder, signed my card, and went into the dugout and got the rest of the team to sign the rest of the cards I had :lol:.

He also tossed us a foul ball later that day.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I think it is totally fair to judge a guy's character by how he acts at a paid signing. In public or at the stadium is a different story. Those guys put up with so much crap on their free time (in public) or at work (the stadium), almost every single one will have their moments. A lot of them probably learn to just tune everyone out completely so they can do their jobs and I don't think that makes them a jerk - it's probably what makes them so good at their job.

I will say that Austin's story is one of the few good one's I've heard about Schmidt and the handful I've had were all bad. All paid signings too. And I've heard many more like nyc3's.

Some guys have a pattern of behavior that I feel comfortable making a judgment - I'm looking at you B.J. Upton! - but I try my best to give guys the benefit of the doubt and step into their shoes.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I attended a signing by Lloyd Moseby in Toronto a few years ago and he seemed really nice. Very jovial and animated, joking around and taking pictures with people. One fan I remember brought an old gamer bat to have signed and before he even put it on the table Moseby grabbed it, pretending he was mad, and yelled, "THAT'S where my lucky bat went!". For me he signed the RC I brought plus one of the 8x10's they were giving out. I asked him if he could sign one for my wife too, and he asked me to spell her name as he wrote, but kept messing it up. Now she has an 8x10 inscribed "To Mary-Ann" and one with "To Marion."

- Rodrick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts