Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Topps Heritage black backs, anyone going for them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
These cards seem to be pretty rare, and very few of them have been listed. The odds I've seen are:

500 cards in the set
Hobby: 1:444 (846,500 packs assumed produced)
Retail: 1:205 (2,200,000 packs assumed produced)

Which breaks down to 3.8 of each card across the hobby production run, and 21.46 across the retail. So say 25 cards apiece. That's enough that I'd expect to see a couple of each card show up, and yet I haven't seen on for either of the Jonny Gomes cards in the set. Only 104 cards are currently listed on eBay, and add that to the 373 that have sold (477), and it doesn't even average 1 of each card listed.

By comparison, there were half as many total black refractors produced (6,500 vs. ~12,500), yet 2.5 times as many (1,152 vs. 477) have been listed on eBay. (If you followed this logic to its conclusion, you could make a case for only 5 of each black back being released.)

So either these things just aren't being listed, the odds are wrong, or they're being calculated incorrectly. I would bet that a lot are being cast aside (subtle and boring parallel that might not be noticed or cared about), but I can't believe that there are 25 copies of each card.

Anyone have them or looking for them? Still looking for both of Gomes, but picked up two "cameos" (look closely):

$_1.JPG

(Example pic from eBay, I actually got Game 5.)

The other one, an AL Home Run Leaders card, has him listed only as "J. Gomes" on the back.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I busted a 14 boxes of hobby and 12 blasters and got one - Juan Nicasio - they seem much tougher than list year - when estimates were about about 100 of each.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Scans? How much did you sell them for (if you did)?

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
The retail odds listed above must be for the retail jumbo (fat packs/rack packs, whatever they call them these days). The regular retail packs have the same odds as hobby for the black backs.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Helluva sale [MENTION=3266]bcubs[/MENTION], congrats! Looks like a Bryce Harper also went for a best offer, this one for $200.
[MENTION=5245]trauty[/MENTION], if you're right, that would mean something like 14 of each card in retail/hobby, plus an unspecified number in the retail jumbo packs.

Even the big names have only been listed once or, very occasionally, twice. If these were at all common, you'd think that people would be scrambling to list what are in some cases $200+ cards.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Anyone else find any of these? I'm up to 2 of the WS cards, with a couple more in my sights. Have seen games 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6, and doubles of at least two. The only two cards that I haven't seen are those that I want the most: Game 4 (Gomes knots it up), and the Jonny Gomes card itself.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I went for some of the black backs last year but this year they were just too tough so I passed, paying around 20 bucks for a variation fits with my budget but for 200 plus I'd rather get a nice auto card or nice vintage.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Just bought another WS black back, which brings me up to 4 of them: Games 1, 3, 5 and 6. I also have the HR leaders black back, which brings me up to 5/6 on the Jonny Gomes cameo cards. It seems like the cards are getting more expensive; I used to be getting them for $20 or so, but for the last two (WS Game 1: "Papi" Pops Two Hs, and WS Game 3: Oddball Ending to Third) I've had to spend $34 and $41 respectively.

The only two cards I haven't seen (out of the 8 I'm looking for) are the ones on which Gomes is actually pictured: his base card (#234), and WS Game 4, Gomes Knots it Up. Really hoping this set doesn't become like the 2006 Upper Deck Special F/X Blue, continually eluding me.

Members online

Latest posts