User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I confess: from 1987-1989 I was a pack searcher!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I confess: from 1987-1989 I was a pack searcher!

Talking about searching packs at retail stores, I used to be one of "them"

Back when I was a kid, I learned that you could move all the cards around in a rack pack EASILY to see which players were inside.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I was able to have so many duplicates of the top stars and rookies from the late 80s.

It basically ended with the 1990 rack packs because topps went with a tighter packaging and no longer were in clear wrap.

Thankfully for me, there were no cell phones with cameras or message boards back then because I might have been plastered all over those.

Think of this post as also a warning when considering buying vintage rack packs. If a young kid could do this, what could an adult do?

I will willing accept all tar and feathers thrown my way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1401744441273.jpg  

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I ever shifted cards in a rack, but I certainly dug through the rack and cello boxes for the stars on top/bottom but that's just smart buying
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I did the same thing Andy. If I liked the cards on the top and on the back I would buy that rack. Or if there was a Phillies player on top and bottom I bought it.

James52411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone will agree with me when I say that if you, Hitler, and Stalin were all in a bar and I walked in and I only had two bullets in my gun, I would shoot you twice.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the interest of full disclosure, I used to do the same to 1988 Sportflics rack packs at K-Mart. In 1988. Like the old Topps rack packs, they had a ton of wiggle room. The Score packs were the same, but you were a lot more likely to ruin all the cards if you tried. Sportflics were a lot more resilient. Looking back, that was an enormous waste of time :/ Those were full minutes I could have spent staring at all the G.I. Joes and Transformers I didn't have the money to buy.

James52411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I used to do the same to 1988 Sportflics rack packs at K-Mart. In 1988. Looking back, that was an enormous waste of time :/ Those were full minutes I could have spent staring at all the G.I. Joes and Transformers I didn't have the money to buy.
    As a fellow buyer of Sportflics, I salute your taste in cards. 88 was a major improvement over the prior two years.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never knew Sportflics came in racks. May have just forgotten since I ignored them after '87
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked to see what stars were on the top/bottom of the rack packs too.In the mid '90s I pulled a what was rare then NBA foil insert by sliding the cards around in one of those rack packs.Someone now throw the book at me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll preface this by saying I deplore current pack searchers, but when I was a kid, I did it too, at the Giant grocery store in Maryland. I distinctly remember them having tons of 89 Topps rack packs in the cereal/candy aisle and I would go through them all while my mom shopped and pick out all the stars on the front/backs. The kicker? She would only usually let me buy one, so I'd hide the rest behind some candy in the aisle so I could come back and buy them later. So I ended up with a ton of Robin Ventura and Jim Abbott RC cards. Only time I got something "good" was in 1991 when Topps inserted old cards in the packs and I pulled a 60s common card. So I was guilty at one point.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd44 View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I deplore current pack searchers, but when I was a kid, I did it too, at the Giant grocery store in Maryland. I distinctly remember them having tons of 89 Topps rack packs in the cereal/candy aisle and I would go through them all while my mom shopped and pick out all the stars on the front/backs. The kicker? She would only usually let me buy one, so I'd hide the rest behind some candy in the aisle so I could come back and buy them later. So I ended up with a ton of Robin Ventura and Jim Abbott RC cards. Only time I got something "good" was in 1991 when Topps inserted old cards in the packs and I pulled a 60s common card. So I was guilty at one point.
    Vintage cards in '91 Topps?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topps put vintage in 1991 for 40th anniversary with ones not regular sized put in as redemptions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, the days when the grocery store had a card selection. Remember looking through 89 Donruss cellos while my mom shopped. Still never found one with Griffey on top/bottom

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is definitely one of the funniest things I have read on a trading card board recently, even if a little misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by James52411 View Post
    I think everyone will agree with me when I say that if you, Hitler, and Stalin were all in a bar and I walked in and I only had two bullets in my gun, I would shoot you twice.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need that '88 Topps Smiley!

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_79 View Post
    Ahh, the days when the grocery store had a card selection. Remember looking through 89 Donruss cellos while my mom shopped. Still never found one with Griffey on top/bottom
    God, I miss those days.Those were the days when every quick shop, grocery store, retail had packs of cards begging to be bought on the counter or card aisle.I always hated going shopping with Mom, so anytime she had to go to Wal Mart or grocery store I would take off to the card aisle and buy whatever packs I could scrounge up enough money for.If I had enough money for 5-6 packs and hit that 1:24 insert of a star player I was a happy kid.And then take off to the car and open my packs before Mom figured out what I bought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast