Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tony Gwynn's family suing tobacco companies, claiming they caused his death.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
News said Tony did the equivalent of 3-4 packs of cigs a day.

Hope they nail the tobacco company

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
News said Tony did the equivalent of 3-4 packs of cigs a day.

Hope they nail the tobacco company

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I'm a non-smoker, but completely disagree. Stop blaming everyone else for your own decisions and their consequences. Tony knew the risks, and he made the choice to use.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I almost posted this news last night and went back and forth on how I felt. Glad someone did bring it up. I don't like the lawsuit at all. At what point / age do you have to be responsible for what you buy and put into your body? What did the Gwynns think he was using? The death is sad, but it was due to choices he made, or at least continued to make.

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As most of the ESPN articles' comments say, Gwynn's family lost their gravy train, probably spent all of the money and are now suing because they're greedy and miss the lifestyle that Gwynn gave them.
It's sad, but it's likely true.

Gwynn was such a respected person, known for class and integrity, and I believe he would have accepted responisbility for his poor habits and not blamed others.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I'm a non-smoker, but completely disagree. Stop blaming everyone else for your own decisions and their consequences. Tony knew the risks, and he made the choice to use.

Agreed.

*Maybe* 40 years ago this lawsuit *might* have made *some* sense.

Is there anyone nowadays who doesn't know tobacco is bad for you?

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I also don't agree with this lawsuit. With this logic we should sue breweries to because alcohol made people drink, drive and kill someone. The surgeon general has mandated labels on tobacco for a reason. Gwynn probably knew the consequences of using that much. As other members have hinted, the family probably went hog wild and burned through his savings. I guess we should also file lawsuits against fork and knife manufactures because they make people obese. This logic is incredibly flawed IMO.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
You all are missing the point of this suit, and call it a waste all you want, but its just a way to get word out of the dangers of tobacco use/and the uncaring nature of tobacco marketing. What else is the family supposed to do? You couldn't possibly think they're doing this for money? There's obviously a marketing push toward young baseball players by tobacco companies, and I don't blame the Gwynns at all for shedding some light on it, and trying to do something about it. The suit is just a start of trying to get something positive (some lesson learned to help the future) of a bad (tragic?) situation.
Stop marketing smokeless tobacco towards young baseball players, or anyone young, for that matter. Seems to make sense to me.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Shouldn't the Gwynns be out there promoting that though and showing what can happen. Reaching out to baseball players etc. Not using a lawsuit blaming a company for their family members choice? If Tony / others were lied to, that's one thing, but if he used at his own will and it cost him his life, I'm not sure why this route is the good route to take. Bringing attention to an issue that you (Tony) wanted to do and wasn't forced upon him shouldn't be done with a lawsuit. (Again unless there are lies etc involved)

Ryan

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
This is a losing battle. Everyone knows the risks and when you decide to use it you'll be accepting those risks. You can't blame a company that warns you ahead of time that you'll likely die if you use it. Either this is a greedy attempt of a money grab or the family is still battling their own grief and are just simply going about this the wrong way because they don't know how to cope with their lose.

When was the last time someone has successfully won a lawsuit against big tobacco when a friend/family member has died from using it (since the warning label has been implemented)? Not a rhetorical question, I'm honestly curious.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
You all are missing the point of this suit, and call it a waste all you want, but its just a way to get word out of the dangers of tobacco use/and the uncaring nature of tobacco marketing. What else is the family supposed to do? You couldn't possibly think they're doing this for money? There's obviously a marketing push toward young baseball players by tobacco companies, and I don't blame the Gwynns at all for shedding some light on it, and trying to do something about it. The suit is just a start of trying to get something positive (some lesson learned to help the future) of a bad (tragic?) situation.
Stop marketing smokeless tobacco towards young baseball players, or anyone young, for that matter. Seems to make sense to me.

Who doesn't know that any tobacco product is bad for you?? And I've never seen any type of marketing targeting young ballplayers to use smokeless tobacco. You ask what else the family is supposed to do, how about go in with life and not frivolously sue a company that clearly states its products will likely kill you if u partake of them. I think this has absolutely nothing at all to do with "getting the word out that tobacco is bad, and tobacco companies are uncaring"

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a hard time believing this campaign is for the greater good. I would hope that Gwynn would have taken personal responsibility for his addiction. Perhaps he did before he died?

Bill Tuttle blazed the way for a case against chewing tobacco and this guy probably had a case for blaming someone else, if anyone did. Hard to find a card of Tuttle w/o his cheek stuffed with chew! This was the 50s-60s. Gwynn was the 80s-90s.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• la-sp-sn-bill-tuttle-20150422.jpg
    la-sp-sn-bill-tuttle-20150422.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 87
  • F2.large.jpg
    F2.large.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 163238.jpg
    163238.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Where is this marketing to young ball players? Not that I would have seen but I'd be interested in seeing it. I thought I heard a bunch of MLB clubhouses have already banned it and all minor league parks? I could completely misinformed though. If not they should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Where is this marketing to young ball players? Not that I would have seen but I'd be interested in seeing it. I thought I heard a bunch of MLB clubhouses have already banned it and all minor league parks? I could completely misinformed though. If not they should

I don't believe it was banned back in Gwynn's early playing days.

I believe it has been know but I'm not certain.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah I meant those steps have been taken in recent years in regards to helping spread the message

Members online

Latest posts