Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tony Gwynn's family suing tobacco companies, claiming they caused his death.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Don Zimmer chewed for 40 years. He was as synonmyous with a cheek full of chew as just about anyone. Then he decided in 1989 to quit. And he did. It took him one season to quit completely, first stopping during games he was managing, then completely.

That was 1989. He lived to a ripe old age and was still working in MLB at the time of his death in 2014, and his death was not related to tobacco.

My point is a person can make the decision to stop. It certainly can be a hard decision, but it is called will-power.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/14/sports/sports-of-the-times-end-of-era-no-big-chaw-for-zimmer.html

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Agreed.

*Maybe* 40 years ago this lawsuit *might* have made *some* sense.

Is there anyone nowadays who doesn't know tobacco is bad for you?

While I agree, you have to remember that the time we're talking about was well over 30 years ago. Is when he began (and before cessation really worked) really the most righteous time in the history of the tobacco industry.

Still don't really agree with the family doing it.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
As most of the ESPN articles' comments say, Gwynn's family lost their gravy train, probably spent all of the money and are now suing because they're greedy and miss the lifestyle that Gwynn gave them.
It's sad, but it's likely true.

Gwynn was such a respected person, known for class and integrity, and I believe he would have accepted responisbility for his poor habits and not blamed others.

I hate to say it but the bold was my initial reaction to this without having much background on his family though. In any case, I think this is wrong and completely immoral on multiple levels and to boot I'm not sure why they're suing the tobacco companies. There's a lot of precedent there, they'd have a better chance of going after the US government.

Imo the best way to handle this situation would have been to set up an anti-tobacco campaign in Tony's honor or start a charitable foundation for other families with loved ones affected by cancer from prolonged tobacco use. This really doesn't sit well with me they will lose quick though

Members online

Latest posts