User Tag List

Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    What were the differences of it compared to the regular?
    1989 Score:

Test/Prototypes: #1 Jose Canseco. Copyright line is inside text box. Text color is different on back. There is another promo thread on here showing it.
    Promos: cards 221-330 missing copyright line on back. Issued to dealers, 1 card per order form. Tough to locate, Biggio has been most plentiful. Nolan Ryan, Bo Jackson, Gary Carter exist as well.
    https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

https://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is mine. Only 1 I've ever seen.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent to you sir
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkfan View Post
    Here is mine. Only 1 I've ever seen.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

gofrankgo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have posted this before but here it is again.

I am looking for a Frank Thomas 1999 Pacific promo PR10. The PSA POP report states that there is 1 PSA 8, 1 PSA 9 and 1 PSA 10. After many, many hours of research I have yet to find a picture of or any information about this card. Could it be an unlisted promo for the 1999 Pacific Revolution set? Any help? Anyone?
    My main collecting interest is MLB and MLBPA approved Frank Thomas promos, previews, samples, prototypes etc ... raw and PSA. Check out my web site at www.FrankThomasPromos.com. I am also an avid collector of baseball promo sets. I have many different player promo cards for trade. If interested message or email me at gitalian1997@bellsouth.net. And the hunt continues.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lil' different pick up. Wanted the lot for the box. So it just mentions Clark's name on the back, but IMO is an unique item.

Looks to be a very early/promotional box from 1999 Collect a Books. The front has Mattingly and Canseco ( [MENTION=12140]DonnieBaseball[/MENTION] [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] ) pictured. I think the images shown were never released and predate the Promos that are out there. [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION] may have more knowledge , but I hadn't seen it before and thought it was neat item. It came w the Clark and Williams promos , but really just wanted the box for some reason.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learned something new today...

I knew about the "flat foil" version of 1996 Topps Laser. Occasionally cards have been shown with just flat gold foil, and not the etched foil most cards had. I had always assumed this was just a missed step in the production process. But I was wrong.

The flat foil cards are actual dealer samples. And there are minor photo cropping differences between the base cards and the promos - at least on the Grace card. The promos are not stamped "promotional" or "sample" though. Obviously the gold foil differences are the easiest way to tell the promo versions. I'm interested if anyone else with the two versions notices photo cropping differences on their player.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing ... checking to see if any Cansecos out there exist now ....
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad -

So only those with Gold Foil can be promos? Clark is in red , so maybe it doesn't apply? I quickly looked on COMC at the McGwire Red, there is one w slight front cropping, but the back is the same.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing ... checking to see if any Cansecos out there exist now ....
    No Canseco.

Only Grace and Mike Stanley were issued as promos. Both have been documented (Donovan's guide, many E&V collector lists) for several years now.
    https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

https://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    No Canseco.

Only Grace and Mike Stanley were issued as promos. Both have been documented (Donovan's guide, many E&V collector lists) for several years now.
    Interesting. I don't think I'm familiar with "Donovan's Guide" - what's that?

Brad

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Interesting. I don't think I'm familiar with "Donovan's Guide" - what's that?

Brad
    Donovan is/was a collector on several of these boards who self-published an E&V guide in 2010 or so. He's the resident 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken collector/expert.

I know these promos at least used to be listed in one of the annual guides.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Canseco.

Thanks man! I appreciate you letting me know.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man! I appreciate you letting me know.
    No problem!

On a side note: can you confirm a Canseco variation? 1995 SP with black blob over name on back?

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a copy of Donovan's guide sitting here on my desk, but I haven't talked to him in many years.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem!

On a side note: can you confirm a Canseco variation? 1995 SP with black blob over name on back?
    I actually didn't know about this one, I don't think!