Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mr. Mint got his

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
He is one hundred zillion percent in it for the money. He doesnt collect, he doesnt hold anything.

I am by no means a Mr. Mint apologist, but I don't think Rosen has ever implied that he's a collector, and there's nothing wrong with flipping cards for a living if you can make enough money doing it. Think of Mr. Mint like a used car dealership. I have had a number of cards that I absolutely loved for one reason or another, but to professionals, sentimental value means nothing. As Jack King Jr. of Jack King Chevrolet in downnnnntown Tyler used to say in his ads, "It's just steel and glass with a little bit of plastic, and we're not in love with anything." To some of us, cards mean a lot, but to others, they are just little cardboard strips with pictures of men on them, some of which can be sold to a buyer at a significantly higher price than what it cost to acquire. Don't fault the man for trying to make a living. If you want to call him a jerk with no social skills, that's fine too, just have some sort of personal experience to back your claim up. There are a few great dealers in this business, and a lot more scum-of-the-earth types. I don't know what it is that attracts this type of person to the hobby, but there are tons of 'em.

This is the exact perception that they showed in that movie Diminished Capacity about the guy. Don't know the guy, never dealt with him and actually just heard of him because of this movie.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The guy was very popular during the sportscard "boom". That said, he is now just some ass-rag that tries to rip off unsuspecting sellers. He has a reputation as a dirt-bag. That rep doesn't come from nothing. Has anyone ever heard a good story about him? Is he charitable? Probably not, because when your business is ripping people off, nothing good ever comes of it. The guy does what he does VERY well, but he does it in a fashion that rubs most people the wrong way. I would bet my bottom dollar the man is a miserable human being when he's home alone. The things he has done to people can really wear on one's soul.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
here is the vide for thoes who havent seen it
the jersey part is at about 2:05
[youtube:2b0fe4yj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNgJXt7cMY[/youtube:2b0fe4yj]

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
When Rosen was on t.v shows in the early and mid 80's. He introduced a lot of people to the hobby. Also introduced them to something called a "quick buck". But his real reason for fame was his huge unopened wax find in the 80's. The key to being a dealer is to make money from your cards. What is the point of paying 145 bucks for a card that sells for 147 on ebay? Any dealer is gonna low ball you to make money, Thats the point of it. Rosen just does it with a lil more crass than others. He is gonna pay ya what he wants and thats the end of it. Most of the time he has cards sold, Before he has them. Customers of his give him want lists and he pursues them. One reason, i hate doing shows is when someone tells me what a card sells on ebay. Then they tell me thats what they need on it. Sell it on ebay if thats what you need. Because, I need to make a profit.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Marro said:
When Rosen was on t.v shows in the early and mid 80's. He introduced a lot of people to the hobby. Also introduced them to something called a "quick buck". But his real reason for fame was his huge unopened wax find in the 80's. The key to being a dealer is to make money from your cards. What is the point of paying 145 bucks for a card that sells for 147 on ebay? Any dealer is gonna low ball you to make money, Thats the point of it. Rosen just does it with a lil more crass than others. He is gonna pay ya what he wants and thats the end of it. Most of the time he has cards sold, Before he has them. Customers of his give him want lists and he pursues them. One reason, i hate doing shows is when someone tells me what a card sells on ebay. Then they tell me thats what they need on it. Sell it on ebay if thats what you need. Because, I need to make a profit.

With the advent of the internet, his services are no longer needed. If only people weren't lazy. Imagine what the people who sold to him would be able to get on eBay for their stuff???

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
sportscardtheory said:
Marro said:

With the advent of the internet, his services are no longer needed. If only people weren't lazy. Imagine what the people who sold to him would be able to get on eBay for their stuff???

It's someone being lazy and looking for money on the spot. His services are still needed for many collectors. I know with ebay and all, It shouldnt be that way but it is. I have bought collections dirt cheap from people, Never felt bad doing it either. One guy sold me a collection for 1500, He spent that much a week on wax alone. I love wax addicts to be honest, They will sell all of it cheap after. Cause they will be jonesing another box soon enough.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Marro said:

What was his big unopened wax find of the 80's?

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
LaneyB said:
Marro said:

I thought I heard it was 52 Topps wax. I'm sure someone more knowledgable could confirm or deny this.

porcello94

Aug 9, 2009
NYCrulesU said:
LaneyB said:
Marro said:

I thought I heard it was 52 Topps wax. I'm sure someone more knowledgable could confirm or deny this.

I THINK the story was he bought a ton of cases from a mom and pop shop and pulled a bunch of mantles

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
NYCrulesU said:
LaneyB said:
Marro said:

http://www.mrmint.com/finds.html

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
porcello94 said:
NYCrulesU said:
LaneyB said:
Marro said:

I THINK the story was he bought a ton of cases from a mom and pop shop and pulled a bunch of mantles

Yea, I knew about the Mantles. I thought the wax find was a seperate story. Though, like playing telephone, stories change and get mixed together over time.

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
Wow - all those finds on his home page .... and you say he files for Bankruptcy ? That clown must have blown through all of his finds ! I wonder if he has stuff stashed away or a partner in crime that he filters cards to.

Jul 30, 2009
That 1952 Topps find was big time news back in the mid 80's.

While I cant remember every aspect of the find, I believe it cards came from a family who used to own a candy store. After they closed up, the cards were stored in the basement.

I might be mixing up the Bowman and Topps finds with the above so if I am please correct me.

I also remmeber reading that eventhough the vast majority of Mantle's were mint, he had trouble selling them all and had to reduce his sell prices just to move them. Ive heard he moved the last few at $3,000 per.

The Bowman find came from another family who stored the cases away but this time, a huge amount of the cards were destroyed, eventhough they were still in wax packs, because of bugs.

Members online

Latest posts