Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ok...Does anyone honestly think that....

YES OR NO?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
..Robby Cano has a legitmate shot at beating out hammy for the mvp?? I personally would love to see it, but i just dont know if its gonna happen. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Miguel Cabrera had the best offensive season in baseball. Cano had a very nice year and also played great defense. But everyone already seems to have given the award to Hamilton, despite the fact that he missed time down the stretch and his team kept winning.

I don't necessarily agree with the choice of giving it to Hamilton simply because his team apparently didn't need him to be successful. Without Cano at the beginning of the season, where would the Yankees have been? And without Cabrera all season, the Tigers absolutely would have finished in the cellar of the AL Central. To me the MVP is the one who has the numbers, but also proves to be extremely valuable to his team. IMO, whether or not their team makes the playoffs should not matter.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I think Cano should get it. Hamilton missed a big part of the season and Texas still won.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Miguel Cabrera had the best offensive season in baseball. Cano had a very nice year and also played great defense. But everyone already seems to have given the award to Hamilton, despite the fact that he missed time down the stretch and his team kept winning.

I don't necessarily agree with the choice of giving it to Hamilton simply because his team apparently didn't need him to be successful. Without Cano at the beginning of the season, where would the Yankees have been? And without Cabrera all season, the Tigers absolutely would have finished in the cellar of the AL Central. To me the MVP is the one who has the numbers, but also proves to be extremely valuable to his team. IMO, whether or not their team makes the playoffs should not matter.

I don't think its fair to punish or reward a guy for what his team did without him

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I think it should be pretty evenly split between the three big candidates of Cano, Cabrera and Hamilton.

Some of the old school voters will always pick the guy with the most RBI's. Cabrera is their guy. He would be a worthy winner but he only played in 17 more games than Hamilton considering he missed the last of the season himself with injury. He hit for power and average which helps him but he will get knocked for his defense and the fact his team wasn't very good, with or without him. Lots of the voters like the MVP to come from a winning team.

Hamilton- will get some voters because of his leading the league in average, slugging and OPS. He was getting lots of recognition for his defense and the Rangers were highlighted more because they had a good team. All helps him. Missing time hurts him as well as being behind others in HR's and RBI's.

Cano - Played in almost every game, played on a winning team and put up solid numbers across the board. He got lots of press for this being his breakout year even though he's been really good for a while now. No other Yankees should steal any votes from him. He's got a solid chance.

I don't see anybody else being capable of winning it. Should be a close vote and any of of those three would be worthy choices.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
blitzerlover said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I don't think its fair to punish or reward a guy for what his team did without him

If this is so, then I don't think you can include team performance as a factor at all.

How can you give a guy more 'points' for this award because of his team winning, but then not penalize him if his team still wins without him? Seems like if he was truly that valuable to his team, his team would not have been as successful without him in the lineup.

I don't think it's fair to have it both ways- you either use team performance, whether it helps or hurts a player's MVP chances, or you don't use team performance as a factor at all.

I don't like the way this award seems to be centered around team success. Sure, winning is valuable, but winning is not because of a single player. And when that player is out of the lineup and the team still wins, doesn't that prove that he is NOT as valuable to his team as we may have thought? I think so.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
blitzerlover said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1gns5mki]Miguel Cabrera had the best offensive season in baseball. Cano had a very nice year and also played great defense. But everyone already seems to have given the award to Hamilton, despite the fact that he missed time down the stretch and his team kept winning.

If this is so, then I don't think you can include team performance as a factor at all.

How can you give a guy more 'points' for this award because of his team winning, but then not penalize him if his team still wins without him? Seems like if he was truly that valuable to his team, his team would not have been as successful without him in the lineup.

I don't think it's fair to have it both ways- you either use team performance, whether it helps or hurts a player's MVP chances, or you don't use team performance as a factor at all.

I don't like the way this award seems to be centered around team success. Sure, winning is valuable, but winning is not because of a single player. And when that player is out of the lineup and the team still wins, doesn't that prove that he is NOT as valuable to his team as we may have thought? I think so.[/quote:1gns5mki]

I don't think that team performance should have any factor in the award at all. Ideally it would be all about the individual performance.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
blitzerlover said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
blitzerlover said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":fxdbmvz0]Miguel Cabrera had the best offensive season in baseball. Cano had a very nice year and also played great defense. But everyone already seems to have given the award to Hamilton, despite the fact that he missed time down the stretch and his team kept winning.

I don't like the way this award seems to be centered around team success. Sure, winning is valuable, but winning is not because of a single player. And when that player is out of the lineup and the team still wins, doesn't that prove that he is NOT as valuable to his team as we may have thought? I think so.

I don't think that team performance should have any factor in the award at all. Ideally it would be all about the individual performance.[/quote:fxdbmvz0]

I agree completely. Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez should both have about 36 MVPs right now, in my opinion.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
blitzerlover said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":31pwfzbm]
blitzerlover said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":31pwfzbm]Miguel Cabrera had the best offensive season in baseball. Cano had a very nice year and also played great defense. But everyone already seems to have given the award to Hamilton, despite the fact that he missed time down the stretch and his team kept winning.

I don't think that team performance should have any factor in the award at all. Ideally it would be all about the individual performance.[/quote:31pwfzbm]

I agree completely. Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez should both have about 36 MVPs right now, in my opinion.[/quote:31pwfzbm]

Pujols got screwed over by having to compete with Bonds early on.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Are you the Most Valuable Player if your team wins without you in September or are you more Valuable if you carry your team for the first two months of the season?

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Are you the Most Valuable Player if your team wins without you in September or are you more Valuable if you carry your team for the first two months of the season?

Hamilton WAR: 8.0
Cano WAR: 6.4

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Win Shares

1. Cano 33.08
2. Bautista 30.98
3. Crawford 30.31
4. Hamilton 29.53

WAR Baseballreference.com)
1. Longoria 7.3
2. Cabrera 6.4