Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the best current non-Cy Young winning pitcher?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Title says it all: Best active starting pitcher who has yet to win a Cy.

Here is a quick list of names I came up with to help jog your memory. Some are easy to to cross off the list but it's better to have more pitchers to choose from, right? I may have missed a few pitchers so don't get your ******* in a bunch.

-David Price
-James Shields
-Josh Beckett
-Jon Lester
-Ricky Romero
-CJ Wilson
-Dan Haren
-Jered Weaver
-Gio Gonzalez
-Cole Hamels
-Roy Oswalt
-Tim Hudson
-Stephen Strasburg ( ;) )
-Josh Johnson
-Yovani Gallardo
-Adam Wainwright (Had to include his name even though he didn't pitch last year)
-Matt Garza
-Wandy Rodriguez
-Daniel Hudson
-Ian Kennedy
-Matt Cain
-Ubaldo Jimenez
-Mat Latos

I'm curious as to who you all think. Try to no be bias! :)

The season is coming up quick and I have to try to get everyone in the baseball spirit :cool:

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
With out looking at numbers, When healthy Josh Johnson, but since he is not often healthy I am going with Price or Lester.

Wainwright could easily be my pick if he bounces back from his injury.

Weaver deserves strong consideration

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
Weaver

His numbers were comparable to JV's stats this past year, minus a few wins of course.

Justin Verlander: 24-5 2.40 ERA 251 IP 250 K 0.920 WHIP 9.0 K/9
Jered Weaver: 18-8 2.41 ERA 235 IP 198 K 1.010 WHIP 7.6 K/9

I'd say pretty damn good.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If you're talking about overall best career without winning a cy young then I don't know who to say it's close between a bunch of others, if you're talking best overall season and didn't win a cy young from your list I'd say probably Ubaldo

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I would throw Roy Oswalt on your list. He isn't the best pitcher to have not won the Cy Young but I would include him in your list.

If you include relievers, you can include Mariano Rivera.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
When healthy Josh Johnson, but since he is not often healthy I am going with Price or Lester.

Wainwright could easily be my pick if he bounces back from his injury.

Weaver deserves strong consideration
I can agree on all points. Is Josh Johnson going to be healthy at the start of this season? He's unhittable when he is on.

Just imagine if Wainwright was healthy last season! That would have been an even crazier Cy Young race :eek:

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
archiebunkerjr said:
I would throw Roy Oswalt on your list. He isn't the best pitcher to have not won the Cy Young but I would include him in your list.

If you include relievers, you can include Mariano Rivera.
Starting pitcher only, sorry should have clarified.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
There is three ways you can look at this and I'm not sure which one you want.

Best career: Toss up between Oswalt and Hudson
Best season that didn't win Cy Young: Again, Oswalt and Hudson, possibly Ubaldo
Best pitcher today: Probably Josh Johnson or Strasburg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
JustinVerlander35 said:
Weaver

His numbers were comparable to JV's stats this past year, minus a few wins of course.

Justin Verlander: 24-5 2.40 ERA 251 IP 250 K 0.920 WHIP 9.0 K/9
Jered Weaver: 18-8 2.41 ERA 235 IP 198 K 1.010 WHIP 7.6 K/9

I'd say pretty damn good.

Yeah Weaver had an INSANE season last year...I was secretly hoping he would win the Cy but it was tough to not give it to Verlander. Good to see Weaver finally get that breakout season. Even with Haren on the staff I would easily say Weaver is now the ace. (Well, I can't easily say that, but you get what I'm saying ;) )

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
The season Lincecum beat on Wainwright I believe was better then any season Oswalt and Hudson had

Last year Weavers season was also better then Oswalt or hudson best

markakis8 said:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
scotty21690 said:
Huffamaniac said:
were is 200 game winner Tim Wakefield :lol:
I must have thought he had won a few Cy's back in his day. ;)
Haha, when exactly was back in his day? Has Wakefield ever had a "day"?

And I know you're going for a larger list, but half those names just need to be X'd off. Wandy and CJ? Nice pitchers, but come on.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Weaver, easily.

But there needs to be some respect for Gallardo. He pitched better than the Cy Young winner on the same staff last year.

And my opinion would change if Josh Johnson gets consistant when playing (health-wise).

I also want to throw Hamels' name in there for some reason; I just like him I think.

No love for James Shields? He doesn't change my answer, but he's better than a bunch on the list already.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:

Best pitcher today...which I suppose would incorporate all of the above into the results.

Like pretty much who would you want to be your Opening Day starting pitcher. Do you want Strasburg who recently recovered from TJ and might only give you 5 strong innings, or do you want the veteran Tim Hudson who will give you 7 solid innings?

It's easy to say that Verlander and Halladay are two of the best pitchers in the bigs...but it seems a bit tougher to choose the non-Cy winners. This is not a future potential thread but who do you think is best right now...a year ago from today I might have said Wainwright, but it's tough to say that now...crazy to think that the Cardinals won the World Series without him.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
Weaver, easily.

But there needs to be some respect for Gallardo. He pitched better than the Cy Young winner on the same staff last year.

And my opinion would change if Josh Johnson gets consistant when playing (health-wise).

I also want to throw Hamels' name in there for some reason; I just like him I think.

No love for James Shields? He doesn't change my answer, but he's better than a bunch on the list already.
Yeah, Gallardo pitched great last season. Seems like he has been pitching forever and he is only 25, still improving too. I can put Shields on the list, I hesitated because of his 2010 season.

Maybe we can break it up by AL and NL...seems as if most like Weaver for the AL but the NL is still a toss up.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
D-Lite said:
scotty21690 said:
Huffamaniac said:
were is 200 game winner Tim Wakefield :lol:
I must have thought he had won a few Cy's back in his day. ;)
Haha, when exactly was back in his day? Has Wakefield ever had a "day"?

And I know you're going for a larger list, but half those names just need to be X'd off. Wandy and CJ? Nice pitchers, but come on.
If you read it you would know I wanted as many solid pitchers as I could find. I tried to get at least one name from all of the teams for the sake of discussion. Many names have already been mentioned so it's tough to narrow down a list like this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts