Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card knowledge "youngin's" don't know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Or went to Dennys to eat a meal and get a card. Or went to Fantastic Sams to get a MLB player disc, which leads me to the memory that thankfully it was one disc per visit per person, not one disk per haircut, and there was a Fantastic Sams nearby that I was able to complete the set just by stopping by once a day for the length of their disc promo. ;)
lennys.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If you had a really valuable card, you put it in a thick Lucite holder with four screws.

If you had a REALLY valuable card, you would put it in a thick and heavy Lucite holder with four huge screws.

Problem was, neither of these had a recessed area so if you screwed the card in too tight, eventually the card would adhere to the Lucite and come off on it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If you had a really valuable card, you put it in a thick Lucite holder with four screws.(...)

Pretty good morning of posts. I used toploaders, not lucite holders, for any card at $1.00 or more. Would read the beckett the night it hit my mailbox (if I didn't have homework or a longer term school project) and use the arrows to find out what new cards go in toploaders and which cards would have to be removed.

To other posts - I didn't use the set checklist form. I cranked it out on my selectric (again). You can type number lists rapidly. No checkboxes -- and that stays true to today. I list out the set length from 1 to *** on a piece of paper and cross the number off with a sharpie when removing that number from my set building checklist.

And, the beckett article. Remember when Jim Beckett actually owned the publication or the time before Chris Olds wrote articles for the magazine or didn't write all the articles for the magazine? ;)

New memory - remember when condition or the storage of the cards didn't matter much? I would say I started good hobby practices about condition/storage of my collection starting when 1984 cards came out. My 1971-1983 cards are not nearly in as great of shape as my cards from 1984 onward.

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
You could stab somebody to death with a stick of gum from 1988 Topps.

I grabbed one of those multi pack boxes from a target a few years back, opened the couple '88 Topps packs and instinctively tossed the piece of gum in my mouth. It desolved into a rotten drywall mud paste, making me instantly realize my folly. Took me a good 20 min to get rid of it

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
People used to buy 33 Ruth and 52 Mantle cards ungraded!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Scratching off promo cards in packs of 92 Topps to win the pack of Topps Gold cards if three of your scratches matched? I remember it was something like that. Speaking of 1992 Topps Gold, Brien Taylor anyone? Someone already mentioned the 1991 Stadium Club Baseball set. I remember selling my Griffey and Dave Justice for OVER bv at a show to some random dude. I am pretty sure those cards were priced at $25 and $20 at the time!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Scratching off promo cards in packs of 92 Topps to win the pack of Topps Gold cards if three of your scratches matched? I remember it was something like that. Speaking of 1992 Topps Gold, Brien Taylor anyone? Someone already mentioned the 1991 Stadium Club Baseball set. I remember selling my Griffey and Dave Justice for OVER bv at a show to some random dude. I am pretty sure those cards were priced at $25 and $20 at the time!

Yep, a "pen light" held underneath the scratch offs allowed you to see the 3 "winners"

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
MOST Autograph Redemptions use to be the actual cards with a hole punched in them, and you only had about a year to redeem them via Snail Mail

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
MOST Autograph Redemptions use to be the actual cards with a hole punched in them, and you only had about a year to redeem them via Snail Mail

And the card actually existed and was eventually shipped to you, for real.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
If you had a really valuable card, you put it in a thick Lucite holder with four screws.

If you had a REALLY valuable card, you would put it in a thick and heavy Lucite holder with four huge screws.

Problem was, neither of these had a recessed area so if you screwed the card in too tight, eventually the card would adhere to the Lucite and come off on it.

Ahhhh, so it wasn't just me! I only did this with one card - my Jordan RC. Still managed to get $550 for it despite the damage.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
At Rackafratz in Salem, OR the shop owner would actually write the price of the card in pencil on the back of the card. That was probably 1982.

At one time this card booked for over $3:

[/URL]

I used to mark directly on the checklist cards.

I endured unrelenting torment from the kids in the neighborhood when I "stupidly" traded my 1983 Topps Steve Garvey for a 1982 Topps Ron Guidry. I made the trade based on the stats on the back of Guidry's card.

Once I became aware of rookie cards, I scoured my collection looking for players who had just one year in the majors on the back of their card.

Once I became aware of errors I scoured my collection looking for any variation, typo, or whatever.

I used to go from store to store searching packs of 1990 Score for the Ryne Sandberg Hightlight error card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts