Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A-Roid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Hadn't noticed that vw posted 2013 numbers. I'm looking at 2012 numbers here

The 2013 numbers are the calculations of the 2012 season. Those numbers you posted are the same as the ones I posted.

Here are the Operating Incomes of four "Large Market" teams and four "Small Market" from the 2003-2012 seasons (via Forbes)

Tampa Bay Rays: $236.8m

San Diego Padres: $209.2m

Houston Astros: $164.4m

Colorado Rockies: $146.5m

Boston Red Sox: $96.1m

Philadelphia Phillies: $62.7

Los Angeles Angels: $8.8m

New York Yankees: -$127.4m

According to Forbes, over the last decade the Astros have made four times as much as the Yankees, Phillies, Angels, and Red Sox combined.

Kep in mind that team values are where the big money comes. The Yankees have increased $2248m in value since being purchased in 1973..

Here is the information on TV Contracts and how they factor into the numbers that Forbes reports.

Forbes only includes rights fees paid by networks to the team. It doesn't not include a team's equity interest in an RSN. For example, only the amount paid by YES to the Yankees is included. Any revenue derived from the team's partial ownership of the network is excluded. Also, the team's equity stake in an RSN is also excluded from the franchise's valuation.
Forbes baseball survey reveals continued prosperity for all teams - Pinstriped Bible

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Why do you keep posting operational income but ignore revenues? Last year, the Yankees topped all teams on revenue with 471m. The Rays were at the bottom with 167m and the Astros had 196m. These are the numbers pertinent to a discussion of revenue sharing. Of course the Yankees have taken an operational loss over the last few years with a payroll well over 200m, but their revenue makes them incredibly profitable. The Rays and Astros would be bankrupt and inoperable with that payroll.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Why do you keep posting operational income but ignore revenues? Last year, the Yankees topped all teams on revenue with 471m. The Rays were at the bottom with 167m and the Astros had 196m. These are the numbers pertinent to a discussion of revenue sharing. Of course the Yankees have taken an operational loss over the last few years with a payroll well over 200m, but their revenue makes them incredibly profitable. The Rays and Astros would be bankrupt and inoperable with that payroll.

I buy a box of Triple Threads for $200. I sell the contents for $220.
You buy a box of Bowman for $75. You sell the contents for $75.

My Revenue was $220, and your revenue was $75.

Since we have revenue sharing, you will get 10% of my revenue, since I made so much.

Now my revenue is $198, and your revenue is $97.

My operating income is -$2. Your operating income is +$22.

According to your logic I may have operated at a loss, but I am profitable because I had high revenue???

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I buy a box of Triple Threads for $200. I sell the contents for $220.
You buy a box of Bowman for $75. You sell the contents for $75.

My Revenue was $220, and your revenue was $75.

Since we have revenue sharing, you will get 10% of my revenue, since I made so much.

Now my revenue is $198, and your revenue is $97.

My operating income is -$2. Your operating income is +$22.

According to your logic I may have operated at a loss, but I am profitable because I had high revenue???
Do you admit that operational income and revenue are different things for baseball teams? Do you see on the Forbes site that the Yankees had a 1.4m operational income in 2012, but 471m in revenue? EDITED TO ADD that this is stadium revenue only.

I guess then to make your analogy work, we would have to have people paying 500 dollars to watch your break, but 150 to watch mine? THAT is why our box break commissioner makes you give me 22 bucks.

Revenue sharing is not called operational income sharing.

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I guess I'm misunderstanding, but you yourself have said that these numbers on Forbes do not cover everything. As I understood, they do not include broadcast money. Am I wrong?

EDIT TO ADD- I just checked and as I thought these revenue numbers are stadium revenues only.

Do you think the Yankees have actually lost over 100 million in costs over these years, but have only gained in equity? I can guarantee you that that is false, Bud Selig knows the real numbers (one of the few people who does), and even with the resulting revenue sharing, the Yankees are profiting every year at a far greater clip than the Rays and Astros.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts