Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC Hoard - 538 copies of the '89 Donruss Griffey Jr.? Haha, seriously?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the early days of COMC try to encourage sellers to only send cards they thought they could sell for $1 or more? I just remember them trying not to become a warehouse full of common cards that'll never sell or an inventory nightmare... and I don't blame them but it just seems like it's going to get out of control, if it hasn't already, when it comes to the inventory they have or will have.

As the thread title says, who the hell is going to buy the 100th copy of the 1989 Donruss Griffey for ~$1.75 when there are 99 copies in front of it for pennies or dimes less?! Let along the 538th copy of the damn card on their site LOL! :lol: It's funny... copy #1 goes for just $1.18 and copy #536 goes for $8.25 but then copy #537 goes up to $26.65 (40% on sale!) and then copy #538 goes for a jaw dropping $50.45!

In all seriousness though, COMC is eventually just going to be a stock pile museum of common cards and tons of cards worth $1 or less or whatever. I am not sure what they're going to do about it, if anything, but I find it hilarious to see a card like this with over 500 copies and it's a card worth somewhere between $1 and $8 with nearly 550 copies!

COMC link to this mess: http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1989/Donruss/33/Ken_Griffey_Jr/1942139

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Looking at the sales history (click on the price, it's a link), 837 copies of the card have sold, for up to $7.49 (plus some higher graded sales). With those numbers, I'd say having 538 copies of the card is not a bad thing; they clearly sell consistently.

Furthermore, COMC charges 25 cents per card, plus 1 cent per month per card (if priced over 75 cents), plus a 20% cashout fee. So for this lot, they've made $134.5 just to list the cards, plus $5.38 a month in storage fees.

Generally speaking, charging a 25 cent listing fee is a pretty strong disincentive for people to send in all their 1980s commons. Even if COMC at some point felt that they risked becoming inundated with 50 cent commons which were not accruing any storage fees, all they would have to do is lower the 75 cent threshold for free storage.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Looking at the sales history (click on the price, it's a link), 837 copies of the card have sold, for up to $7.49 (plus some higher graded sales). With those numbers, I'd say having 538 copies of the card is not a bad thing; they clearly sell consistently.

Furthermore, COMC charges 25 cents per card, plus 1 cent per month per card (if priced over 75 cents), plus a 20% cashout fee. So for this lot, they've made $134.5 just to list the cards, plus $5.38 a month in storage fees.

Generally speaking, charging a 25 cent listing fee is a pretty strong disincentive for people to send in all their 1980s commons. Even if COMC at some point felt that they risked becoming inundated with 50 cent commons which were not accruing any storage fees, all they would have to do is lower the 75 cent threshold for free storage.
I didn't know about the price being a link to show you sales history, etc. That's actually a pretty cool feature. I still have to say, that just seems like SO many copies of a card which you could argue can be picked up for a few bucks... I mean if you're the guy selling yours for $8, you have to think you'll never sell it right?

I guess props to COMC for being able to convince someone to send in that card and just have it collect dust in their warehouse while they collect on it versus collecting dust in someones house while it just relists forever on eBay for free until it sells.

Too bad those sales history figures aren't done by year or past 12 months or anything... really tough to know how those sales have occurred or how the price has fluctuated recently.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm just surprised you can buy Ken Griffey, Jr. rookies for a buck now.
I know they're mass produced, but damn, Griffey rookies are now only worth a dollar?

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
Hey now I buy commons still from there haha IP autos and to fill some random "complete sets" I buy off eBay that are missing random cards

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I was going make a joke about how much you needed my priciest card, of which there is only one on the site, but it is currently listed as:

"2015 [???] [???]#200 [Missing]"

robert67

Dec 5, 2010
Sounds like a good time to try and corner the market

Only 50 million more copies of the 89 Donruss Griffey rookie to go!

Seriously, I can remember seeing those packs almost everywhere back in the day. Gas stations, mom and pop stores, mass retailers, etc. Tons still availabe today for sure.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sounds like a good time to try and corner the market ;) :lol::lol:

I added all of them to my cart and it was like $2k. Wonder if that'd help corner the market and then you relist a few for $5 and start to chip away at making the $ back haha

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My favorite is the one for $8.25 with a huge crease in it
Seriously though, the guy with a $8.25 version of this card on COMC must get ZERO views of his card ever... why would anyone skip to page like 8 and start looking at random versions in the middle of the pack.

Members online

Latest posts