Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm an In-Person/TTM Auto RC collector. This breaks my heart (Corey Seager)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
I know to rub down these cards before getting them signed. I got these signed at the 2011 Perfect Game Classic in San Diego--before he was drafted. I'm reminded of these cards because I'm getting ready for Spring Training and noticed his name on the Dodgers top prospect list. "I think I already have his autograph," thought I... Then I found them... I'll try again at Spring Training. I'm kind of picky, I guess. I don't need the auto to be perfect, but I do like having a nice clean signature on the autographed RCs I add to my collection.

IMAG1491_zps8f8ac8e5.jpg

Anthony

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That happens to me from time to time as well. Sometimes I think it's the marker more than anything. I rub all of the cards down equally and I do so to the entire card. Luckily this has only happened about twice thus far which is why I'm inclined to believe it's the marker. This is why I also prefer stuff like heritage and the like.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Bummer. Good luck next time. I guess the silver lining is that you found out in advance and can plan accordingly.

p.s. what do you mean by "rub down" the cards?

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Thanks--I think it may have been the pen. I rubbed down these with one of those magic erasers (Mr. Clean... sometimes I'll use an eraser or even just a small cotton cloth). I prefer the thick Staedtler markers, although for some reason they tend to bubble on these kinds of cards--even after rubbing them down (2010 Bowman and even 2010 Topps Rookie Debut). I may go back to the good old blue sharpie this year.

I love the look of signed Heritage cards. If I can get the RCs from them, that's what I go with. I'll have a few 2011 and 2012 Topps Heritage Minors cards to get signed this year.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Bummer. Good luck next time. I guess the silver lining is that you found out in advance and can plan accordingly.

p.s. what do you mean by "rub down" the cards?

I personally take a shirt out of the closet and rub the entire surface of the card down for like 30 seconds with it. It's smooth enough not to scratch up the surface but abrasive enough to take off some of the gloss. Works better than any other method I've seen.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks--I think it may have been the pen. I rubbed down these with one of those magic erasers (Mr. Clean... sometimes I'll use an eraser or even just a small cotton cloth). I prefer the thick Staedtler markers, although for some reason they tend to bubble on these kinds of cards--even after rubbing them down (2010 Bowman and even 2010 Topps Rookie Debut). I may go back to the good old blue sharpie this year.

I love the look of signed Heritage cards. If I can get the RCs from them, that's what I go with. I'll have a few 2011 and 2012 Topps Heritage Minors cards to get signed this year.

I don't use the staedtler's because for one, I have to go and find them, and two, blue sharpie works just as well for me. So I've always gone with it.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I use baby powder. It's a few bucks at your local store, and a bottle can last you for a long time (depending on how much you use per card and how many cards you do).

It has to be talc though. Cornstarch doesn't work.

I think in this issue, it's actually the card used. I am not an expert, but I recall people having problems with the base cards even after rubbing them down.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Baby powder works but since a shirt does as well, and you make a little mess with powder, I just never use it. I figure why go to all the extra trouble? As for erasers, they work too but like I said, so does the shirt. Point being, I don't like putting anything on the card(powder or an eraser) that I don't have to.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've been using baby powder since the first glossy cards in the '80s (Topps All-Stars rack pack inserts).
It's a little messy (I do it in the sink), but the results are flawless, and there aren't smudge marks like erasers can sometimes leave.
I have 3,000+ TTM and in-person autographs and have never had a problem using baby powder.

Latest posts