Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

10 Keys to Being a Happier Collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Some really good stuff on there, especially agree with the first 3. Getting in that mentality of just buying what I want and not being able to get everything has made collection much more enjoyable.

I do miss the trading though, and helping out others by adding to their collection. I no longer bust any product or purchase anything but PC stuff, so the trading aspect has pretty much been dead for the last 5 years or so. I'd love to get back into it, but I just don't want to spend the money on buying boxes or packs.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
decent read. No list will satisfy everyone of course. I agree with some and not with others. You CAN hate new stuff and still be happy, just like you can be happy w/o any vintage in your collection. Those seemed forced. Trading, catching a show and visiting a shop are means to acquire stuff. Where is visit ebay on the list? My collection is what it is today not from small shops and shows with the same local participants, but from the worldwide reach on ebay! I especially dislike hearing the "collect what you like" (I believe most COLLECTORS do this already, where as investors and dealers buy what sells) and "you can't collect it all" comments though. There was a time when it was possible to collect it all and it excuses what the manufacturers have done to exploit that type of collector with their endless short prints, numerous repetitive sets and exhaustive parallels.

In the end, I am happy buying what interests me but I am still frustrated by some things like the excessive 1/1s that I won't be able to own for my player collection, but that is life.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Think back to the mid 90's when every dealer had to have everything! I had to have it all and it would drive me nuts! Now, I only buy singles and what makes me happier as a collector! I got real tired of buying what made or tried to make everyone else happy.

btw, that shop in Orlando in the pic looks like a really well organized and sorted shop!

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts