Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Delgado, HOF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Fred McGriff and Carlos Delgado had Great Careers and if either of them would have Cracked 500hrs we would be talking Hof news.

Frow

cooperstown+ticket.jpg

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
An easy no

I wouldn't say an "easy" no. His stats dwarf many current HOFers. He was an elite hitter. Only three other players with 1,500+ RBI who are/were eligible for the Hall of Fame, without ties/links to PED abuse, are not enshrined; Harold Baines, Fred McGriff and Jeff Bagwell.

Last edited:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't say an "easy" no. His stats dwarf many current HOFers. He was an elite hitter. Only three other players with 1,500+ RBI who are/were eligible for the Hall of Fame, without ties/links to PED abuse, are not enshrined; Harold Baines, Fred McGriff and Jeff Bagwell.

I can see a case being made and he may eventually get in on a year with a diluted talent pool, but, he reached no career milestone, was only a 2x allstar, never won an MVP and only finished first in a major batting category a couple of times.

Would I vote for him to make the Hall of Fame, no.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I can see a case being made and he may eventually get in on a year with a diluted talent pool, but, he reached no career milestone, was only a 2x allstar, never won an MVP and only finished first in a major batting category a couple of times.

He was runner up MVP one year though, but still I'd have to say no. He will get some votes but fall short.

Although with a lot of members arguing for Dunn to make the hall, then why not Delgado?

AD: .241/.372/.503 (127 OPS+)
CD .280/.383/.546 (138 OPS+)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He was runner up MVP one year though, but still I'd have to say no. He will get some votes but fall short.

Although with a lot of members arguing for Dunn to make the hall, then why not Delgado?

AD: .241/.372/.503 (127 OPS+)
CD .280/.383/.546 (138 OPS+)

Scotty....I like you son but you just aren't getting it. No one is arguing Dunn for the HOF right now. No one was even arguing if he hits another 100 HR to get to 500!! We were talking about 600 HR. And that's the only case we were arguing.

Get it?

And no to Delgado. Great player though.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Dude stop the all-star argument:D. In the modern era it is all fan popularity (1990 and present) so ALL-STAR should not be a factor for the Hall recognition anymore, and should not even be considered. But the rest of you statement does have merit.

For me though. NO if he gets in then there would be others. Delgado was a good player, but not hall worthy.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think the All Star game is pointless but some voters do take it into account so Ive at least gotta toss it out there

:)

Frow

HPC;1755635[B said:
]I can see a case being made and he may eventually get in on a year with a diluted talent pool, [/B]but, he reached no career milestone, was only a 2x allstar, never won an MVP and only finished first in a major batting category a couple of times.

There's not going to be a diluted pool for quite a few years and this coming year is going to be absolutely huge and several of them are going to spend the next few years on the ballot. It's estimated he'll be on the ballot with Gary Sheffield (500+ HR is a lock to some people on this board), John Smoltz, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciapara (and before anyone says anything these are simply people with 100+ on the HOF monitor and higher than Delgado on the 2015 ballot...I'm not saying anything about their chances.)

The year after will be Ken Griffey Jr., Trevor Hoffman, Billy Wagner, Jason Kendall (dunno if that's still correct since he signed a minor league deal this year and then retired so probably not on the ballot)

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
There's not going to be a diluted pool for quite a few years and this coming year is going to be absolutely huge and several of them are going to spend the next few years on the ballot. It's estimated he'll be on the ballot with Gary Sheffield (500+ HR is a lock to some people on this board), John Smoltz, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciapara (and before anyone says anything these are simply people with 100+ on the HOF monitor and higher than Delgado on the 2015 ballot...I'm not saying anything about their chances.)

The year after will be Ken Griffey Jr., Trevor Hoffman, Billy Wagner, Jason Kendall (dunno if that's still correct since he signed a minor league deal this year and then retired so probably not on the ballot)
Delgado was head and shoulders above Jason Kendall.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Delgado is an interesting case, he was certainly a great player. Not sure if he gets in though.

Latest posts